Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:38 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 798 [50]
Given Kudos: 76
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 798 [9]
Send PM
General Discussion
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 240
Schools: LBS SMU '19 (A)
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V33
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Re: Last year, more copies of accounting software programs were sold than [#permalink]
mvictor wrote:
reason why I eliminated B
at least some - some is 1-100%.
we know that more non-accountants purchased software design for accountants.
it is obvious that much more non-accountants purchased the software than did the accountants. Therefore, the "some" word makes this statement incorrect.
C, on the contrary, states that more non-accountants purchased the software this year than in any other previous years.
C it is for me.

Hii, I agree to that at least some - some is 1-100%. But some can be equal to most(>50%). From the last line of the passage it is clear that some Non-accountants purchased the software
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 798 [3]
Send PM
Re: Last year, more copies of accounting software programs were sold than [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
rajatkataria14@gmail.com wrote:
mvictor wrote:
it is obvious that much more non-accountants purchased the software than did the accountants. Therefore, the "some" word makes this statement incorrect.
C, on the contrary, states that more non-accountants purchased the software this year than in any other previous years.
C it is for me.

Hii, I agree to that at least some - some is 1-100%. But some can be equal to most(>50%). From the last line of the passage it is clear that some Non-accountants purchased the software

rajatkataria14@gmail.com

ALL 100
Some 1-100
Some are not 0-99
Most 51-100
Most are not 0-49
None 0

kindly see above in bold lines -> This question is must be true -> so you can not use CAN BE .....
Your answer to this type MUST BE ALWAYS TRUE ->>>Therefore COULD BE TRUE , MAY BE TRUE are all traps in this type of question.

Originally posted by sahilvijay on 19 Feb 2018, 09:52.
Last edited by sahilvijay on 19 Feb 2018, 10:00, edited 3 times in total.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
mvictor wrote:
C it is for me.

it is clear that most of the purchases are from non-accountants. That's why B is out, and C is the answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
sahilvijay wrote:
Last year, more copies of accounting software programs were sold than in any previous year. For the first time ever, most of the copies sold were not sold to accountants but rather to individuals doing their own taxes or planning their own family budgets. However, the most-purchased copy of accounting software was a program designed for accountants performing corporate audits.

Which of the following is most strongly supported by the information above?

a) Last year more accounting software was sold to corporations than in any previous year.
b) At least some non-accountants purchased the most-purchased copy of software last year.
c) Last year there were more copies of accounting software sold to non-accountants than in any previous year.
d) More non-accountants purchased accounting software last year than in any previous year.
e) Last year fewer copies of accounting software were purchased by accountants than in the previous year.

OA is C
The passage said 'For the first time ever, most of the copies sold were not sold to accountants but rather to individuals doing their own taxes or planning their own family budgets.'
From this sentence, it is possible to infer that individuals buy more copies than accounts.
It is hard to infer, however, A,D,E. Because there is no information about amount.
B is possible but C is the best.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618877 [1]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
sahilvijay wrote:
Last year, more copies of accounting software programs were sold than in any previous year. For the first time ever, most of the copies sold were not sold to accountants but rather to individuals doing their own taxes or planning their own family budgets. However, the most-purchased copy of accounting software was a program designed for accountants performing corporate audits.

(A) Last year more accounting software was sold to corporations than in any previous year.

(B) At least some non-accountants purchased the most-purchased copy of software last year.

(C) Last year there were more copies of accounting software sold to non-accountants than in any previous year.

(D) More non-accountants purchased accounting software last year than in any previous year.

(E) Last year fewer copies of accounting software were purchased by accountants than in the previous year.

VERITAS PREP OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

The answer to this Inference problem is (C). Remember - in an Inference question the correct answer must be true based on the premises, and (C) can be proven by the facts. You know that 1) the total number of copies of accounting software was its greatest ever and that 2) the percentage that non-accountants purchased was its greatest ever (the first time over 50%). So non-accountants purchased their greatest-ever share of the greatest-ever total, meaning that they must have purchased their greatest number of copies of accounting software ever.

Among the incorrect answer choices:

(A) very well might be true, but cannot be proven. What if the growth in accounting software was entirely due to non-accountants (perhaps this was the first-ever year that a program like TurboTax was available, and so the non-accountant software surged while several accountants went out of business and didn't purchase anything)?

(B) also could be true, but you certainly cannot prove it. What if the most-sold software was a must-buy for any corporation but had no appeal to individuals?

(D) is close, but note the precision in language there: all the premises are about the number of copies sold, whereas (D) draws a conclusion about the number of purchasers. What if the number of purchasers stayed the same or even decreased, but each purchaser bought multiple different copies (maybe TurboTax came with a "add on Quicken for a dollar" promotion and almost everyone who purchased one piece of software last year bought two this year?).

And (E) of course does not have to be true as there is no proof for it anywhere. You know that the highest total number of copies of accounting software was sold so it is difficult to believe that fewer were sold to non-accountants, and that's the only real evidence you have to get close to this conclusion.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Last year, more copies of accounting software programs were sold than [#permalink]
I think here option A and D worked better. Last year more accounting software was sold to corporations than in any previous year. And More non-accountants purchased accounting software last year than in any previous year. And it is true to become hassle free users with non accounting background and no professional accounting degree subscribed more accounting software than previous years.

Originally posted by Angelia11 on 20 May 2018, 21:23.
Last edited by Angelia11 on 21 Jun 2019, 07:38, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
sahilvijay wrote:
mvictor wrote:
C it is for me.

ALL 100
Some 1-100
Some are not 0-99
Most 51-100
Most are not 0-49
None 0

kindly see above in bold lines -> This question is must be true -> so you can not use CAN BE .....
Your answer to this type MUST BE ALWAYS TRUE ->>>Therefore COULD BE TRUE , MAY BE TRUE are all traps in this type of question.

Not sure how these rules work. Are you saying that when more than 51% of the population did something, that the use of the word SOME is improper and therefore the use of the word MOST would be the correct answer?

Because from my perspective, if MOST of the non-accountant purchased the most-purchased copy of software last year, then it is also true that SOME of the non-accountant purchased the most-purchased copy.

Please analyze my numbers below:

We have 55% of copies being sold for non-accountants
We have 45% of copies being sold for accountants
Say we sold 1000 copies, being 550 of the most-popular and 450 of other softwares.

1st scenario: all the 45% of the accountants buy exactly 450 copies of the most-purchased software.
If 55% of copies were sold to non-accountants, than they must have purchased at least 100 copies of the most-popular, so it is true that some of them purchased the most popular.
In this scenario, SOME of the non-accountants purchased the most-popular (100/550)

2nd scenario: some of the accountants purchased copies other than the most-popular.
Then, it is possible that MOST of the non-accountants purchased the most-popular copies.

But again, since I believe that if MOST is true, than SOME is also true (the opposite is not true), B should be a correct answer.

Does this make sense?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
I selected B in haste.

But after re-reading it three times i got to know where i was wrong.

Lets say this year they sold 100 copies.
so last year they sold < 100

FOR THE FIRST TIME
Non-Accountants brought > 50 copies
Accountants brought 40 copies.

However, as stated its the first time.
Last year more accountant copies sold.
So > 50.
Hence non-accountants brought <50

Now it clearly states that C is answer. abhimahna. I got a doubt, Do these kind of questions pop up in official GMAT ?
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Expert Reply
Nightmare007 wrote:
I selected B in haste.

But after re-reading it three times i got to know where i was wrong.

Lets say this year they sold 100 copies.
so last year they sold < 100

FOR THE FIRST TIME
Non-Accountants brought > 50 copies
Accountants brought 40 copies.

However, as stated its the first time.
Last year more accountant copies sold.
So > 50.
Hence non-accountants brought <50

Now it clearly states that C is answer. abhimahna. I got a doubt, Do these kind of questions pop up in official GMAT ?

hey Nightmare007 ,

Yes, you may get such questions on the actual exam. :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
sahilvijay wrote:

(A) Last year more accounting software was sold to corporations than in any previous year.

(B) At least some non-accountants purchased the most-purchased copy of software last year.

(C) Last year there were more copies of accounting software sold to non-accountants than in any previous year.

(D) More non-accountants purchased accounting software last year than in any previous year.

(E) Last year fewer copies of accounting software were purchased by accountants than in the previous year.

a) Last year more accounting software was sold to corporations than in any previous year.
Nothing about corporations is mentioned here
b) At least some non-accountants purchased the most-purchased copy of software last year.
Again, relation between what non-accountants purchased is not deducible from the paragraph
c) Last year there were more copies of accounting software sold to non-accountants than in any previous year.
Correct. Unless more copies were sold to Non-accountants, the record sale would not be happening.
d) More non-accountants purchased accounting software last year than in any previous year.
Nothing about the number of non-accountants is mentioned in the para
e) Last year fewer copies of accounting software were purchased by accountants than in the previous year.
what accountants purchased, besides special software for audits, has not been addressed in the para
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 537 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Finance, Finance
Send PM
d. More non-accountants purchased accounting software last year than in any previous year. ---- be very careful about modifier. More accounting software purchased by non-accountants, not more non-accountants purchased accounting software.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
I complete agree with what PedroBodnar has said. If you go by numbers, there will at least 1 non accountant who would have purchased the most-purchased copy last year. So B is correct.
C- is definitely correct.
Veritas Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 2946 [1]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM