Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:11 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [69]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [25]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 43
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [1]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Re: The nature of English literature reflects the rich and diverse vocabul [#permalink]
Kudos
A. The origin of English played a role in shaping English literature. --- not sure if it is true but cant eliminate it either at first glance , lets keep it.

B. The vocabulary of the Anglo-Saxon language was richer than that of the French language. --- not sufficient info provided. may be or may be not.

C. The vocabulary of English is larger than the vocabulary of French. --- not sufficient info provided. may be or may be not.

D. Simple and clear literature cannot be written in a language with a rich and diverse vocabulary. ---- too extreme to be true

E. English literature and French literature have had little infulence on one another. --- wrong .... English is influenced from french, the other way is not true.

(A) seems the best answer among all.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [2]
Given Kudos: 105
Send PM
Re: The nature of English literature reflects the rich and diverse vocabul [#permalink]
Kudos
IMO A
Since the first line says 'resulted from' dual Lang. (I. E the origin)

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 346 [1]
Given Kudos: 148
Send PM
Kudos
A. The origin of English played a role in shaping English literature.: CAN BE INFERRED FROM FIRST SENTENCE. A CONNECTION IS WELL ESTABLISHED BETWEEN ENGLISH LITERATURE AND ENGLISH LANGUAGE.

B. The vocabulary of the Anglo-Saxon language was richer than that of the French language.: IRRELEVANT COMPARISON, NOT DISCUSSED

C. The vocabulary of English is larger than the vocabulary of French.: SAME AS B, CANNOT PASS FACT TEST

D. Simple and clear literature cannot be written in a languae with a rich and diverse vocabulary.: TOO EXTREME

E. English literature and French literature have had little infulence on one another.: OPPOSITE
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [1]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Awaiting OA. IMO answer should be A

The nature of English literature reflects the rich and diverse vocabulary of the English language, which resulted from the dual influence of the Anglo-Saxon and, later, French languages. The French language, though, is a direct descendant of Latin, with few traces of the Celtic language spoken by the pre-Roman inhabitants of the area: the hallmark of French literature is its simplicity and clarity.

Which one of the following can be most reasonably inferred from the information above?

A. The origin of English played a role in shaping English literature. --Correct. The nature of English literature reflects the richness and diversity in language. Diversity and richness was derived from French and Anglo-Saxon languages. So we can say that the origin has had some impact on the English literature.

B. The vocabulary of the Anglo-Saxon language was richer than that of the French language. --We can't say that. These two languages are different and we can't comment on the vocabulary of either language.

C. The vocabulary of English is larger than the vocabulary of French. --We can't say that. These two languages are different and we can't comment on the vocabulary of either language. Remember, entire French language is not the sub set of English.

D. Simple and clear literature cannot be written in a languae with a rich and diverse vocabulary. --Exaggerated statement

E. English literature and French literature have had little infulence on one another. --We can't say from the argument whether English has had any influence on French literature.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
Send PM
Kudos
IMO B. and I think I am pretty sure about it. But seeing all the different types of answers, am a little confused.
Please post the OA.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42
Send PM
Kudos
Puja priya wrote:
IMO B. and I think I am pretty sure about it. But seeing all the different types of answers, am a little confused.
Please post the OA.

At first I thought B was the better answer. Looking again however, A is simpler and more elegant as a solution. The problems with both B and C are that they both make large logic leaps...which in assumption type questions is usually incorrect. Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
Mrinal Lather wrote:
IMO, The answer is C.

Combining the information provided in the first sentence, which mentions that the vocabulary of English has been influenced by both Anglo-Saxon and French languages. Hence, it can be correctly inferred that the vocabulary of English is greater than the vocabulary of French.

None of the other options can be correctly inferred from the passage.

C cannot be inferred from the passage and here's why. It says that English was INFLUENCED BY French and Anglo-saxon, it isn't a UNION (in mathematical terms) of Anglo-Saxon and French. It could have taken a few words/phrases from French and Anglo-Saxon and still have been smaller in corpus than the entirety of French language.

In other words, it CANNOT be inferred that "English = All of Anglo-Saxon + All of French
Current Student
Affiliations: Senior Manager, CA by profession, CFA(USA) Level 2
Own Kudos [?]: 167 [1]
Given Kudos: 148
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V23
GMAT 2: 530 Q39 V24
GMAT 3: 580 Q46 V24 (Online)
GMAT 4: 640 Q50 V26
GPA: 3.82
WE:Other (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
The nature of English literature reflects the rich and diverse vocabulary of the English language, which resulted from the dual influence of the Anglo-Saxon and, later, French languages. The French language, though, is a direct descendant of Latin, with few traces of the Celtic language spoken by the pre-Roman inhabitants of the area: the hallmark of French literature is its simplicity and clarity.

Which one of the following can be most reasonably inferred from the information above?

A. The origin of English played a role in shaping English literature. - Best choice as it is clearly mentioned that English literature reflects the rich and diverse vocabulary of the English language.

B. The vocabulary of the Anglo-Saxon language was richer than that of the French language. - It is nowhere mentioned that one vocabulary is richer than another so eliminated

C. The vocabulary of English is larger than the vocabulary of French. - Size of vocabulary is also nowhere compared in the passage so eliminated

D. Simple and clear literature cannot be written in a language with a rich and diverse vocabulary. - Out of Scope

E. English literature and French literature have had little influence on one another - Nowhere it is mentioned that English and French literatures have influence on each other. Only thing mentioned is they have a little impact so eliminated

Hence best choice Option A

Hope its clear puja priya
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Send PM
I chose option D as my answer. The passage was basically talking about the fact that English literature resulted from 2 different influences. It did not talk about the role played by English literature. Hence, was unable to understand why option A is the correct answer. Could someone help to shed some light on this? Thanks
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
Leonaann wrote:
I chose option D as my answer. The passage was basically talking about the fact that English literature resulted from 2 different influences. It did not talk about the role played by English literature. Hence, was unable to understand why option A is the correct answer. Could someone help to shed some light on this? Thanks

Take a look at this post, which addresses both (A) and (D), and let me know if you have any lingering questions!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
Dear GMATNinja,

It may be very basic question ,but can you please clarify my doubt.
I chose Option C. Because I thought English itself combined the vocabulary of the Anglo-Saxon language as well as the French language ( which could be implied from the argument). So the "Set of English words" are greater than subset of French and Anglo Saxon. Thus the vocabulary of English is larger than the vocabulary of French.

I discarded Option A because it is talking about the shaping of whole English literature . I thought the given information in the argument is not enough to comment on the shaping of English literature. We need to know more about the history of English literature . So it could be out of scope .
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [2]

Send PM
Kudos