Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:57 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 612 [24]
Given Kudos: 149
GMAT 1: 630 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36 (Online)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [1]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
Concentration: International Business, Finance
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: As part of an international effort to address environmental problems [#permalink]
RaquelR1409 wrote:
Why in question number 4 the correct answer is D, I have picked C.
Can someone explain to me why answer E on question number 5 is the correct?
About the last question, could you explain to me the analogy of the answer?
Thanks

The reason for replacing topsoil is to get rid of the heavily fertilized soil as mentioned in the first para. Hence, the topsoil would lack fertilizers.
Hence D
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: As part of an international effort to address environmental problems [#permalink]
RaquelR1409 wrote:
Why in question number 4 the correct answer is D, I have picked C.
Can someone explain to me why answer E on question number 5 is the correct?
About the last question, could you explain to me the analogy of the answer?
Thanks

In Q5, you can directly eliminate B,C,D as they do not address the question. Between A and E, E is a better option since A says that Netherland study 'discredits' the given argument. The study doesn't discredit but gives an alternative to speed up the process. It agrees that a lot of time is taken and hence comes up with an alternative
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Why can't C be the answer for Q2?
Please explain analogy in Q8
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Given Kudos: 122
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Can someone please explain Q6? I got confused because the passage says that while it might be easy to remove and replace topsoil, it is impractical to do so on a large scale and then it mentions the study. So for option (B)"The field’s topsoil can easily be removed and replaced" i thought that it might be easy but its not practical right so how can the study be Least advantageous? Also,in Q3 why is D wrong?
PM Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [1]
Given Kudos: 197
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
Send PM
Kudos
I got question 8 correct in nearly 3 minutes by using POE.
I would like to explain my POE for Question 8 as many are facing issues with this question and i could not see any OE
Here we are looking for a strategy that can eliminate thistles. The passage does not explicitly state how this can be done.. but instead provides us some clues, such as by protecting other things that may prevent the growth of thistles.
Now in the question the party A becomes the thistles.Newspaper describes the force doing the action. The action is what we need to correlate with the one in presented in the passage to prevent thistles.
A: Easy to eliminate. It talks about some kind of role/position shift.
B: Could not really eliminate this option. the passage does talk about purposefully sowing beneficial organisms etc etc and protecting them
C: This option could be true had the passage talked about means to discourage the growth of thistles
D: This option could be true had the passage talked about means to discourage growth of other elements that promote the growth of thistles.
E: I could not really make sense of this option. The passage doesn't really talk about any fight between thistles and non thistles.

hence choose B. I myself was myself not too sure of the reasoning though.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32888 [3]
Given Kudos: 5776
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Explanation

3. The passage offers which one of the following as an explanation for why native plant varieties grew better when sown on land that had been out of production for 20 years than when sown on the plots enriched with soil taken from that land?

Difficulty Level: 700

Explanation

The correct answer choice is (B)

This choice requires a specific piece of information: the author’s explanation, presented beginning on line 35, for why native species of plants grew better when growing naturally on nearby land then when growing in plots enriched from soil nearby. Researchers, the author provides, concluded that this was attributable to the fact that overfarmed lands are overrun with aggressive disease organisms while lacking beneficial microorganisms.

Answer choice (A): The issue is not a lack in key nutrients, so this choice can be eliminated from contention.

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice. As discussed, the researchers concluded that such land is usually overrun with aggressive disease organisms.

Answer choice (C): Overfertilization is not the issue that is presented to explain the results specified in the question.

Answer choice (D): This clever choice was popular among test takers; overfarmed land is overrun with disease and lacking beneficial microorganisms. The soil that was taken from the out-ofproduction land may have had some such microorganisms, although the plots to which the soil was taken may have been lacking.

Answer choice (E): The harmful organisms were concluded to be present in the overfarmed land, not in the land that had been taken out of production.

Explanation credit: PowerScore

6. In which one of the following circumstances would it be LEAST advantageous to use the methods researched in the Netherlands study in order to restore to its natural state a field that has been in constant agricultural use?

Explanation

This question asks for the circumstances in which it would be LEAST advantageous to use the methods researched in the Netherlands study. This means that the four incorrect answer choices will provide circumstances under which the Netherlands study methods would be beneficial, and the correct answer choice will be the only exception.

Answer choice (A): The research in the Netherlands dealt with over-farmed land, so in this circumstance the methods researched would be beneficial.

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice. If the topsoil can easily be removed and replaced, then taking that approach would be the quickest way, according to the first paragraph of the passage.

Answer choice (C): One of the issues with over-farmed land is over-fertilization, an issue with the former cornfield studied in the Netherlands, so the methods researched in that study would be likely to be beneficial in this circumstance.

Answer choice (D): The planting of various grass and herb species is one of the methods researched in the study, so this choice presents a circumstance under which the use of such methods would be likely to be beneficial, so this is one of the incorrect answers to this Must be True EXCEPT question.

Answer choice (E): The passage provides no reason to believe that under such circumstance the Netherlands research methods would not be advantageous, so this choice should be ruled out of contention.

Hope it helps

DiyaDutta wrote:
Can someone please explain Q6? I got confused because the passage says that while it might be easy to remove and replace topsoil, it is impractical to do so on a large scale and then it mentions the study. So for option (B)"The field’s topsoil can easily be removed and replaced" i thought that it might be easy but its not practical right so how can the study be Least advantageous? Also,in Q3 why is D wrong?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Please explain Q.7 and Q8.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32888 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Explanation

7. It can be inferred from the passage that if the disease organisms mentioned in line 48 were eliminated in a plot of land that had been in constant agricultural use, which one of the following would be the most likely to occur?

Explanation

The correct answer choice is (C)

This question asks for the likely outcome if the aggressive disease organisms discussed on line 39 were eliminated from land that had been in constant agricultural use. Such disease, researchers concluded, were the reason that seeds in overfarmed plots did not do as well as those growing in land that had been out of production for two decades. Presumably, if such disease were to be eliminated, the seeds would do better, perhaps as well as those growing naturally nearby.

Answer choice (A): There is no basis to conclude that beneficial microorganisms would decline if the disease organisms were eliminated.

Answer choice (B): The elimination of the disease organisms would not render unwanted species unable to survive, so this is not the right answer choice.

Answer choice (C): This is the correct answer choice. As discussed, such seeds would likely do better if the harmful aggressive disease organisms could be eliminated; the native plant would have a better chance of survival.

Answer choice (D): Nothing in the passage suggests that the elimination of disease organisms in over-farmed land would result in a long-term increase in the number of beneficial microorganisms.

Answer choice (E): The author does not suggest that eliminating disease microorganisms would be likely to result in proportional increases in the population of other disease organisms, so this cannot be the right answer to this Must Be True question.

8. Which one of the following is most analogous to the process, described in the last paragraph, by which the spread of thistles can be curtailed?

Difficulty Level: 750

Explanation

This question asks for the process most analogous to the thistle-curtailing process described in the last paragraph; a mix of native grass and herb species added to plots appeared to force out the thistles.

Answer choice (A): This choice lacks the concept of bringing in something to keep something else out, so it does not parallel the process described in the last paragraph.

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice. Like the native species supported to force out the thistles in the Netherlands study, this choice describes the approach of supporting rival candidates to take over the local area and keep Party A’s representation from proliferating.

Answer choice (C): This choice does not parallel the process referenced in the passage, which brings in some species to force out others.

Answer choice (D): This choice describes a more direct attack on supporters of passage A, but does not include the concept of bringing in certain species to crowd out others, so this answer fails to parallel the process described in the third paragraph and should be ruled out of contention.

Answer choice (E): This choice deals with creation of antagonism between the parties, but it does not parallel the process outlines in the third paragraph, in which thistles appeared to have been crowded out of plots where diverse native species of grass and herbs were introduced.

Hope it helps

Shubhangana wrote:
Please explain Q.7 and Q8.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [2]
Given Kudos: 146
Send PM
Kudos
SajjadAhmad wrote:
Explanation

[
8. Which one of the following is most analogous to the process, described in the last paragraph, by which the spread of thistles can be curtailed?

Difficulty Level: 750

Explanation

This question asks for the process most analogous to the thistle-curtailing process described in the last paragraph; a mix of native grass and herb species added to plots appeared to force out the thistles.

Answer choice (A): This choice lacks the concept of bringing in something to keep something else out, so it does not parallel the process described in the last paragraph.

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice. Like the native species supported to force out the thistles in the Netherlands study, this choice describes the approach of supporting rival candidates to take over the local area and keep Party A’s representation from proliferating.

Answer choice (C): This choice does not parallel the process referenced in the passage, which brings in some species to force out others.

Answer choice (D): This choice describes a more direct attack on supporters of passage A, but does not include the concept of bringing in certain species to crowd out others, so this answer fails to parallel the process described in the third paragraph and should be ruled out of contention.

Answer choice (E): This choice deals with creation of antagonism between the parties, but it does not parallel the process outlines in the third paragraph, in which thistles appeared to have been crowded out of plots where diverse native species of grass and herbs were introduced.

Hope it helps

I'd like to disagree on the above explanation.

Quote:

The 2nd para deals with native grass and herb species. The last paragraph deals with beneficial organisms & aggressive disease organisms. The question specifically asks about last paragraph. Hence, I disagree.

My explanation for (B) would be,

Party A winning= Thistles out growing native plants
Defending Candidates = mycorrhiza (Fungi that fight against disease organisms)
Publishing editorials = introducing nematodes, fungi, and other beneficial microorganisms
attacks by certain broadcast journalists = Disease organisms.
Finally, newspaper = Humans doing the study.

(B)A newspaper works to prevent Party A from winning a majority of seats in the legislature by publishing editorials defending candidates from a rival party against attacks by certain broadcast journalists.

Substituting the above equivalents,

Humans doing the study work to prevent the outgrowth of thistles and aide growth of native plants by introducing beneficial micro-organisms from unfarmed land to help Mycorrhiza(Other Benefical Micro-Organisms that are fewer in number) against attack by Diesease organisms.

Only (B) suits well with the idea present in last paragraph.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 289 [0]
Given Kudos: 222
GPA: 3
Send PM
Hey jkbk1732 , I appreciate the effort, but there's a mistake in the Question. It refers to Thistles in the Last Paragraph instead of the Second Paragraph.
SajjadAhmad, check this out.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32888 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello sharathnair14

You didn't have mentioned the question # you are referring to but i am supposing that you are talking about q#8, i have tally it with Official LSAT Source and i found no discrepancy.

Thanks.

sharathnair14 wrote:
Hey jkbk1732 , I appreciate the effort, but there's a mistake in the Question. It refers to Thistles in the Last Paragraph instead of the Second Paragraph.
SajjadAhmad, check this out.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 706 [4]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: General Management
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Kudos