Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:19 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [34]
Given Kudos: 289
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6859 [23]
Given Kudos: 500
General Discussion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [2]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 888 [0]
Given Kudos: 354
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Re: Anthropologists have recently discovered DNA evidence that indicate [#permalink]
vinny12 wrote:
Anthropologists have recently discovered DNA evidence that indicates that Europeans may have had contact with ancient China far earlier than has previously been believed and were influencing Chinese artistic traditions.

that indicates that Europeans may have had contact with ancient China far earlier than has previously been believed and were influencing
    that had indicated that Europeans may have had contact with ancient China far earlier than was previously believed and were influencing
    to indicate that Europeans may have had contact with ancient China far earlier than was previously believed and that they influenced
    to indicate that Europeans may have had contact with ancient China far earlier than has previously been believed and they influenced
    indicating that Europeans may have had contact with ancient China far earlier than was previously believed, influencing

Could you please provide the source of this question?

I believe even "they" is ambiguous or incorrectly used in C.
to indicate certainly has to be intent which doesn't make sense.

None of the answer choices seem correct to me. If the source is valid, then certainly an expert's help would be appreciated.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Send PM
Re: Anthropologists have recently discovered DNA evidence that indicate [#permalink]
shameekv1989 wrote:
vinny12 wrote:
Anthropologists have recently discovered DNA evidence that indicates that Europeans may have had contact with ancient China far earlier than has previously been believed and were influencing Chinese artistic traditions.

that indicates that Europeans may have had contact with ancient China far earlier than has previously been believed and were influencing
    that had indicated that Europeans may have had contact with ancient China far earlier than was previously believed and were influencing
    to indicate that Europeans may have had contact with ancient China far earlier than was previously believed and that they influenced
    to indicate that Europeans may have had contact with ancient China far earlier than has previously been believed and they influenced
    indicating that Europeans may have had contact with ancient China far earlier than was previously believed, influencing

Could you please provide the source of this question?

I believe even "they" is ambiguous or incorrectly used in C.
to indicate certainly has to be intent which doesn't make sense.

None of the answer choices seem correct to me. If the source is valid, then certainly an expert's help would be appreciated.

The question has been taken from Kaplan test series.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
WE:Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Could someone explain why option E is wrong?
Director
Director
Send PM
Need an expert reply for the explanation of this question. None of the answer choices seem correct. "They" used in answer choices seems ambiguous as it can refer to anthropologists or Europeans. "to indicate" seems to imply intent that anthropologists discovered with an intent to indicate those 2 things, doesn't make sense to me.
Director
Director
Send PM
MentorTutoring wrote:
Okay, I see a lot of people asking about this one, so I will stick out my neck in hopes of providing a useful analysis for the community to digest. First things first: am I 100 percent comfortable with the correct answer? No. Did I answer the question correctly? Yes. It took 1:34, which exceeds my typical timing for an SC question. This sort of situation can be useful in your preparation to solidify lessons you have learned. I will aim to touch on all the issues that people have posted on thus far.

vinny12 wrote:

A. that indicates that Europeans may have had contact with ancient China far earlier than has previously been believed and were influencing

Analysis: I like the that clause marker here. What I am less keen on is the lack of parallelism between the verbs within the clause: Europeans had contact and were influencing. I would expect something more along the lines of Europeans had contact... and influenced. Grounds for dismissal? Not yet, but I would call that strike one. Strike two is the comparative than has previously been believed. What does the present perfect convey that the more concise than was previously believed in other choices does not? Just as I did during my scouring of the answers, I would keep this one on hold. Two strikes do not a strikeout make. Yellow light.

vinny12 wrote:
B. that had indicated that Europeans may have had contact with ancient China far earlier than was previously believed and were influencing

Analysis: It is hard to get beyond the past perfect had indicated. How could recently discovered evidence reach further back into the past than its discovery? Have the anthropologists rediscovered it? If so, who found it first, and why is that individual or group not mentioned? Apart from this clear problem, we have not addressed the had contact... were influencing of choice (A). Again, this latter concern is a minor consideration. The former one, however, is as major as can be. Despite fixing the comparison toward the end of the underlined portion, this answer choice is easy to get rid of. Red light.

vinny12 wrote:
C. to indicate that Europeans may have had contact with ancient China far earlier than was previously believed and that they influenced

Analysis: Now for the real issue, the infinitive to indicate versus the earlier that indicates. I still prefer that, but why can we not immediately cast this infinitive aside? Sometimes an infinitive can be used in place of a relative clause. It is kind of a murky area in English grammar if temporal concerns or counting are not in the picture. Each of the following sentences, for instance, is grammatically fine:

1) I have a lot of work to do.
2) I have a lot of work that I need to do.

I know the two model sentences do not follow the exact construct of the sentence at hand, but I would like to point out that sentence 1) could just as easily add a relative clause to the end, similar to what we see in the sentence in question: I have a lot of work to do that I hope to complete by noon. For anyone arguing that the infinitive in evidence to indicate that Europeans... presents a certain causality, namely that the anthropologists discovered evidence in order to indicate something, I would argue that the process of discovery precludes intent. That is, you can intend to find something to prove or disprove a point, but you cannot discover something previously unknown in order to prove or disprove a point. You might not find anything, and a discovery is a serendipitous act. I may be reading too much into the meaning of discovered, but if I am wrong, then I cannot argue against the dual interpretation of to indicate. With that said, someone else brought up a concern about the ambiguity of they in that they influenced. Does it refer back to anthropologists or Europeans? For this one, we can turn to the grammar to prove that they must refer back to Europeans. All you have to do is follow what is going on after the infinitive and strip the line down to its basics:

to indicate that Europeans had contact... and that they influenced...

And is acting in the capacity of joining two items, as in, A and B, not joining two independent clauses. Without the second that, the line could be interpreted as saying that anthropologists influenced Chinese artistic traditions, but even then, we would need a comma before the conjunction and. As written, we have two perfectly parallel items in a list: that A and that B. In this restrictive context, they can logically refer only to Europeans. While we are on the topic of parallelism, this option fixes the earlier peccadillo in had contact... were influencing, replacing it with had contact... and influenced. Altogether, I cannot definitively rule out this one. It may not be perfect, but in tougher questions especially, sometimes it is better to hang on if you are unsure and come back to it later, once you have burned off anything else you can in the first pass. Yellow light.

vinny12 wrote:
D. to indicate that Europeans may have had contact with ancient China far earlier than has previously been believed and they influenced

Analysis: Phew! This one is relatively straightforward after that nightmare of a choice in (C). The switch has flipped back to the perfect tense--has previously been believed--but beyond that, we have a grammatically incorrect and they influenced, with no comma to indicate the second independent clause. Furthermore, as discussed above, even with correct punctuation, they would be ambiguous. Was it the Europeans or the anthropologists who influenced Chinese artistic traditions? The tail-end of this answer choice is a clear warning sign. Red light.

vinny12 wrote:
E. indicating that Europeans may have had contact with ancient China far earlier than was previously believed, influencing

Analysis: Still another user had a question about this choice. Although I prefer that at the head of the underlined portion, I tolerated to indicate in choices (C) and (D), so I did not dismiss this standout right away because of its -ing construct. The problem for me lies with influencing. An -ing phrase can be used to modify just about anything in the previous phrase or clause, and once again, if we strip the sentence down to read for meaning, we get the following:

Anthropologists have discovered evidence indicating [something], influencing traditions.

It sure sounds as if the anthropologists are meddling with traditions, and adding the Europeans back to the mix only masks the lack of clarity:

Anthropologists have discovered evidence indicating that Europeans may have had contact, influencing traditions.

People talk this way all the time. I would probably say the above sentence and not think twice about it. However, your ear can deceive you on a written test of grammar, one that demands clarity of meaning, and this answer choice stands in clear violation of that goal. Red light.

Okay, so now that we have whittled the answers down to two options, we should consider them side by side. Focus on the differences:
vinny12 wrote:
A. that indicates that Europeans may have had contact with ancient China far earlier than has previously been believed and were influencing
C. to indicate that Europeans may have had contact with ancient China far earlier than was previously believed and that they influenced

Boiled down, we have

A. that indicates... has previously been believed and were influencing
C. to indicate... was previously believed
and that they influenced

The only part I like better about (A) is that indicates. For reasons explained above, the present perfect is a worse way of expressing the second notion, and were influencing fails to draw a proper parallel between the two actions had and influenced. Since I cannot disprove choice (C) and prefer it in two of three splits, I cast my vote for the harder-to-argue-against answer in (C). I like to say that in a 50/50 situation, never settle on something you know is off-base. It is better to go with what you are uncertain of and maybe get the question right.

If anyone has further questions, do not hesitate to ask. As always, good luck with your studies.

- Andrew

Hi Andrew, the way I approach parallelism at times is I break it down and read it again For eg. :-

Anthropologists have recently discovered DNA evidence to indicate that Europeans may have had contact with ancient China far earlier than was previously believed and that they influenced Chinese artistic traditions

a) Anthropologists have recently discovered DNA evidence to indicate that Europeans may have had contact with ancient China far earlier than was previously believed
and
b) Anthropologists have recently discovered DNA evidence to indicate that they influenced Chinese artistic traditions

"Anthropologists have recently discovered DNA evidence to indicate" is the part we can keep common to both the entities of "and"

Could you please advise me on the following way to verify? Because in b) using this method it certainly seems that "they" is ambiguous.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6859 [0]
Expert Reply
shameekv1989 wrote:

Hi Andrew, the way I approach parallelism at times is I break it down and read it again For eg. :-

Anthropologists have recently discovered DNA evidence to indicate that Europeans may have had contact with ancient China far earlier than was previously believed and that they influenced Chinese artistic traditions

a) Anthropologists have recently discovered DNA evidence to indicate that Europeans may have had contact with ancient China far earlier than was previously believed
and
b) Anthropologists have recently discovered DNA evidence to indicate that they influenced Chinese artistic traditions

"Anthropologists have recently discovered DNA evidence to indicate" is the part we can keep common to both the entities of "and"

Could you please advise me on the following way to verify? Because in b) using this method it certainly seems that "they" is ambiguous.

Hello, shameekv1989. Thank you for the question. I can appreciate your point. The problem with the logic behind it in this case is that there is a clear temporal direction between events A and B in the above (full) sentence. Take a look at the shell again:

Anthropologists have discovered evidence to indicate that A and that B.

In terms of strict parallelism, there is no reason we could not place B before A. However, look at how that distorts the meaning, the timeline of events, in the sentence with the words back in:

Anthropologists have discovered evidence to indicate that they influenced Chinese artistic traditions and that Europeans may have had contact with ancient China far earlier than was believed.

I cannot even argue that they is ambiguous. It must refer back to anthropologists as written, but this means that the two relative clauses now have no relation to each other, whereas the original sentence follows the arrow of time perfectly: Europeans made contact with China before they, the Europeans, were able to influence Chinese artistic traditions. Be careful about observing grammar rules too tightly. On Hard questions especially, anybody will tell you that meaning often separates the silver from the rest of the dross.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

- Andrew
Director
Director
Send PM
MentorTutoring wrote:
shameekv1989 wrote:

and

Hello, shameekv1989. Thank you for the question. I can appreciate your point. The problem with the logic behind it in this case is that there is a clear temporal direction between events A and B in the above (full) sentence. Take a look at the shell again:

Anthropologists have discovered evidence to indicate that A and that B.

In terms of strict parallelism, there is no reason we could not place B before A. However, look at how that distorts the meaning, the timeline of events, in the sentence with the words back in:

Anthropologists have discovered evidence to indicate that they influenced Chinese artistic traditions and that Europeans may have had contact with ancient China far earlier than was believed.

I cannot even argue that they is ambiguous. It must refer back to anthropologists as written, but this means that the two relative clauses now have no relation to each other, whereas the original sentence follows the arrow of time perfectly: Europeans made contact with China before they, the Europeans, were able to influence Chinese artistic traditions. Be careful about observing grammar rules too tightly. On Hard questions especially, anybody will tell you that meaning often separates the silver from the rest of the dross.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

- Andrew

Hi Andrew,

What I have learnt is that the entities separated by "and" always have an equal weightage (and is used as a trap in a lot of questions in which you do not need equal weightage or the 2 entities are related to each other) and can not be used to represent sequence of timing the way you mentioned.

The other thing that I came across was when there are 2 IC's in the form of

S V O and (pronoun) V ... -> In this case pronoun unambiguously refers back to the Subject of the previous clause. The above construction is same as this construction.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6859 [2]
Anthropologists have recently discovered DNA evidence that indicate [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
shameekv1989 wrote:

Hi Andrew,

What I have learnt is that the entities separated by "and" always have an equal weightage (and is used as a trap in a lot of questions in which you do not need equal weightage or the 2 entities are related to each other) and can not be used to represent sequence of timing the way you mentioned.

The other thing that I came across was when there are 2 IC's in the form of

S V O and (pronoun) V ... -> In this case pronoun unambiguously refers back to the Subject of the previous clause. The above construction is same as this construction.

Hello again, shameekv1989. I cannot argue with what you have been taught--you could have learned any of a number of things, perhaps some accurate, some not--but I will advise you to watch out for absolute thinking. Your use of always in your response can be misleading, both to yourself and to others. Consider each sentence for what is on the screen, look to reduce answer choices, and take your best shot. English is a mutt of a language, and just when you think you have everything figured out, you will find some new arcane rule or exception that either annoys or fascinates you. I am not arguing against your points, just your application of them. Adaptability is more useful as a skill on this test than a sterling knowledge of grammar.

All the best,
Andrew

Originally posted by AndrewN on 09 Jan 2020, 05:27.
Last edited by AndrewN on 09 Jan 2020, 08:55, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [2]
Given Kudos: 294
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
GMAT 2: 630 Q42 V34
GMAT 3: 660 Q48 V34
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hi vinny12 , as about:

Quote:
Usually "To+verb" is used to indicate the intention however that meaning in this sentence doesn't make much sense to me that the "Anthropologists discovered the evidence with the intention to indicate whatever result". Please help me clear my understanding on this.

You might find it interesting to check this fruitful discussion around the question, which contains the same split: "evidence that suggested" vs "evidence to suggest". Many experts have been shared their thoughts in the thread.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/australian-e ... 84981.html

Spoiler: both uses are idiomatic; the hypothesis exists that GMAC prefers evidence to over evidence that, but, in a nutshell, this split should not be a decision point.
Anthropologists have recently discovered DNA evidence that indicate [#permalink]
Kudos
Hello shameekv1989
This question also resembles the following one. You can take a look.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/australian-e ... l#p2169977

I've also asked the same question to Ron in the ManhattanPrep forum. Here you go for that one, please.
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... 1-120.html
Does it help?
Thanks__
Director
Director
Send PM
Asad wrote:
Hello shameekv1989

I've also asked the same question to Ron in the ManhattanPrep forum. Here you go for that one, please.
Does it help?
Thanks__

Thanks Asad,

Exactly what I was looking for. I think I understand the question and solution much better now.
shameekv1989 wrote:
Asad wrote:
Hello shameekv1989

Does it help?
Thanks__

Thanks Asad,

Exactly what I was looking for. I think I understand the question and solution much better now.

So, do you happy with the correct choice (C)? :)
But, I'm not happy with correct choice (E) in my version (Australian .....)! :)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1728 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '18 (D)
GPA: 3.97
WE:Project Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
MentorTutoring wrote:
Okay, I see a lot of people asking about this one, so I will stick out my neck in hopes of providing a useful analysis for the community to digest. First things first: am I 100 percent comfortable with the correct answer? No. Did I answer the question correctly? Yes. It took 1:34, which exceeds my typical timing for an SC question. This sort of situation can be useful in your preparation to solidify lessons you have learned. I will aim to touch on all the issues that people have posted on thus far.

vinny12 wrote:

Analysis: I like the that clause marker here. What I am less keen on is the lack of parallelism between the verbs within the clause: Europeans had contact and were influencing. I would expect something more along the lines of Europeans had contact... and influenced. Grounds for dismissal? Not yet, but I would call that strike one. Strike two is the comparative than has previously been believed. What does the present perfect convey that the more concise than was previously believed in other choices does not? Just as I did during my scouring of the answers, I would keep this one on hold. Two strikes do not a strikeout make. Yellow light.

vinny12 wrote:
B. that had indicated that Europeans may have had contact with ancient China far earlier than was previously believed and were influencing

Analysis: It is hard to get beyond the past perfect had indicated. How could recently discovered evidence reach further back into the past than its discovery? Have the anthropologists rediscovered it? If so, who found it first, and why is that individual or group not mentioned? Apart from this clear problem, we have not addressed the had contact... were influencing of choice (A). Again, this latter concern is a minor consideration. The former one, however, is as major as can be. Despite fixing the comparison toward the end of the underlined portion, this answer choice is easy to get rid of. Red light.

vinny12 wrote:

Analysis: Now for the real issue, the infinitive to indicate versus the earlier that indicates. I still prefer that, but why can we not immediately cast this infinitive aside? Sometimes an infinitive can be used in place of a relative clause. It is kind of a murky area in English grammar if temporal concerns or counting are not in the picture. Each of the following sentences, for instance, is grammatically fine:

1) I have a lot of work to do.
2) I have a lot of work that I need to do.

I know the two model sentences do not follow the exact construct of the sentence at hand, but I would like to point out that sentence 1) could just as easily add a relative clause to the end, similar to what we see in the sentence in question: I have a lot of work to do that I hope to complete by noon. For anyone arguing that the infinitive in evidence to indicate that Europeans... presents a certain causality, namely that the anthropologists discovered evidence in order to indicate something, I would argue that the process of discovery precludes intent. That is, you can intend to find something to prove or disprove a point, but you cannot discover something previously unknown in order to prove or disprove a point. You might not find anything, and a discovery is a serendipitous act. I may be reading too much into the meaning of discovered, but if I am wrong, then I cannot argue against the dual interpretation of to indicate. With that said, someone else brought up a concern about the ambiguity of they in that they influenced. Does it refer back to anthropologists or Europeans? For this one, we can turn to the grammar to prove that they must refer back to Europeans. All you have to do is follow what is going on after the infinitive and strip the line down to its basics:

to indicate that Europeans had contact... and that they influenced...

And is acting in the capacity of joining two items, as in, A and B, not joining two independent clauses. Without the second that, the line could be interpreted as saying that anthropologists influenced Chinese artistic traditions, but even then, we would need a comma before the conjunction and. As written, we have two perfectly parallel items in a list: that A and that B. In this restrictive context, they can logically refer only to Europeans. While we are on the topic of parallelism, this option fixes the earlier peccadillo in had contact... were influencing, replacing it with had contact... and influenced. Altogether, I cannot definitively rule out this one. It may not be perfect, but in tougher questions especially, sometimes it is better to hang on if you are unsure and come back to it later, once you have burned off anything else you can in the first pass. Yellow light.

vinny12 wrote:
D. to indicate that Europeans may have had contact with ancient China far earlier than has previously been believed and they influenced

Analysis: Phew! This one is relatively straightforward after that nightmare of a choice in (C). The switch has flipped back to the perfect tense--has previously been believed--but beyond that, we have a grammatically incorrect and they influenced, with no comma to indicate the second independent clause. Furthermore, as discussed above, even with correct punctuation, they would be ambiguous. Was it the Europeans or the anthropologists who influenced Chinese artistic traditions? The tail-end of this answer choice is a clear warning sign. Red light.

vinny12 wrote:
E. indicating that Europeans may have had contact with ancient China far earlier than was previously believed, influencing

Analysis: Still another user had a question about this choice. Although I prefer that at the head of the underlined portion, I tolerated to indicate in choices (C) and (D), so I did not dismiss this standout right away because of its -ing construct. The problem for me lies with influencing. An -ing phrase can be used to modify just about anything in the previous phrase or clause, and once again, if we strip the sentence down to read for meaning, we get the following:

Anthropologists have discovered evidence indicating [something], influencing traditions.

It sure sounds as if the anthropologists are meddling with traditions, and adding the Europeans back to the mix only masks the lack of clarity:

Anthropologists have discovered evidence indicating that Europeans may have had contact, influencing traditions.

People talk this way all the time. I would probably say the above sentence and not think twice about it. However, your ear can deceive you on a written test of grammar, one that demands clarity of meaning, and this answer choice stands in clear violation of that goal. Red light.

Okay, so now that we have whittled the answers down to two options, we should consider them side by side. Focus on the differences:
vinny12 wrote:

Boiled down, we have

A. that indicates... has previously been believed and were influencing
C. to indicate... was previously believed
and that they influenced

The only part I like better about (A) is that indicates. For reasons explained above, the present perfect is a worse way of expressing the second notion, and were influencing fails to draw a proper parallel between the two actions had and influenced. Since I cannot disprove choice (C) and prefer it in two of three splits, I cast my vote for the harder-to-argue-against answer in (C). I like to say that in a 50/50 situation, never settle on something you know is off-base. It is better to go with what you are uncertain of and maybe get the question right.

If anyone has further questions, do not hesitate to ask. As always, good luck with your studies.

- Andrew

Thank you for such a detailed explanation.
Just want to check on last option.
When you said indicating is modifying the main clause " anthropologist..".
Can "indicating" not modify something that came just before it. The entire clause just before it.

Why is it grammatically incorrect

Posted from my mobile device
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6859 [1]