Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:46 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 805+ Levelx   Inferencex            
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35485 [377]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64884 [113]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 745 [15]
Given Kudos: 108
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41 (Online)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 94
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: A library currently has only coin-operated photocopy machines which [#permalink]
Kudos
VeritasPrepHailey
I got to learn a lot from your notes specially the ones which you write at the end, on why people get this question wrong.
Could you please help me with your analysis, and how do you approach the question.

I was confused between B and D and rejected E as it didnt sound me convincing. and landed up with D as Administrators believe that no of photocopes will not increase so everyone buying the copy cards will use their cards for first copies at cheaper rate and as a result revenues should drop as (No of pages remains same X cost per page reduced )
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 597 [1]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V51
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: A library currently has only coin-operated photocopy machines which [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
yatindra20 wrote:
VeritasPrepHailey
I got to learn a lot from your notes specially the ones which you write at the end, on why people get this question wrong.
Could you please help me with your analysis, and how do you approach the question.

I was confused between B and D and rejected E as it didnt sound me convincing. and landed up with D as Administrators believe that no of photocopes will not increase so everyone buying the copy cards will use their cards for first copies at cheaper rate and as a result revenues should drop as (No of pages remains same X cost per page reduced )

Hi yatindra20! I must have missed this tag - apologies! Anyhow, feel free to take a look at VeritasKarishma's explanation above and follow up with any questions :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 191 [2]
Given Kudos: 334
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 500 Q42 V17
GMAT 2: 590 Q47 V26
Send PM
Kudos
VeritasKarishma wrote:
generis wrote:
A library currently has only coin-operated photocopy machines, which cost 10 cents per copy. Library administrators are planning to refit most of those machines with card readers. The library will sell prepaid copy cards that allow users to make 50 copies at 9 cents per copy. Administrators believe that, despite the convenience of copy cards and their lower per-copy cost, the number of copies made in the library will be essentially unchanged after the refit.

On the assumption that administrators' assessment is correct, which of the following predictions about the effect of the refit is most strongly supported by the information given?

A) Library patrons will only purchase a copy card on days when they need to make 50 or more copies.

B) No library patrons will increase their usage of the library's photocopy machines once the refit has been made.

C) If most of the copy cards sold in the library are used to their full capacity, the number of people using the library's photocopy machines over a given period will fall.

D) Revenues from photocopying will decrease unless most library patrons choose to use the remaining coin-operated machines in preference to the card-reader equipped ones.

E) Revenues from photocopying will increase if copy cards that are purchased are, on average, used to significantly less than 90 percent of their capacity.

CR62740.02

Current:
Coin operated machines costing 10c per print. So for 50 prints, cost will be 500c

New:
Most machines will be PREPAID card operated costing 9c per print for 50 prints. So people will prepay 450c to buy a card for 50 prints.
Some old machines will be retained.

Number of copies made will stay the same.

What can we infer? Since number of copies made is staying the same, and cost per copy is reducing by 10%, we can expect a reduction in revenue until and unless EVERYONE uses only the old machines. Then the revenue will stay the same.
Let's look at the options:

A) Library patrons will only purchase a copy card on days when they need to make 50 or more copies.

We cannot infer this. Even if they want to make 48 copies, they should still buy the card because it will be cheaper. Anyway, what the patrons will do, we cannot say.

B) No library patrons will increase their usage of the library's photocopy machines once the refit has been made.

Not necessary. We know that total number of copies will be the same. Some patrons may make more, others may make less.

C) If most of the copy cards sold in the library are used to their full capacity, the number of people using the library's photocopy machines over a given period will fall.

No reason why number of people using machines will fall.

D) Revenues from photocopying will decrease unless most library patrons choose to use the remaining coin-operated machines in preference to the card-reader equipped ones.

'Most' is not good enough. 'All' can be inferred. All need to use coin machines to keep the revenue steady.

E) Revenues from photocopying will increase if copy cards that are purchased are, on average, used to significantly less than 90 percent of their capacity.

Here is a new angle we had not considered before. What if people purchase copy cards but not use them fully. Their capacity is 50 copies so less than 90% of their capacity is less than 45 copies.
People have already paid 450c for the cards. But if they make less than 45 copies, they are actually paying more than 10c per copy. Then, since number of copies will stay the same, the revenue for the library will increase.
Correct

Answer (E)

Hello VeritasKarishma Ma'am,

Thank you for posting the detailed explanation of this questions. It helped me alot in understanding the basics of this question.
I have a silly doubt regarding option E.
We are assuming here that the cents un-utilized in the card is going as extra revenue to the library. (Unless the un-utilized money goes back to the library every month)
However, cents can be used at later point in time right!
So if I deconstruct the statement given in E "Revenues from photocopying will increase if copy cards that are purchased are, on average, used to significantly less than 90 percent of their capacity.". It means if copy cards were used for SIGNIFICANTLY less than 90 % (45 copies) copies then profit of the library will increase.

Using card: If a person is photocopying 10 copies (significantly less than 45) in a particular month=> his expenditure will be 90c, so he/she has 360c in his/her card. The remaining amount is still in the card which he/she can use later point in time. So how can we consider the unused amount of the card as profit earned by the library?
Using old machine: If the same person is photocopying 10 copies, he/she will pay 100c.
So overall, library is losing money.
Please help me understand if there is a gap in my understanding.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64884 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
AntrikshR wrote:
VeritasKarishma wrote:
generis wrote:
A library currently has only coin-operated photocopy machines, which cost 10 cents per copy. Library administrators are planning to refit most of those machines with card readers. The library will sell prepaid copy cards that allow users to make 50 copies at 9 cents per copy. Administrators believe that, despite the convenience of copy cards and their lower per-copy cost, the number of copies made in the library will be essentially unchanged after the refit.

On the assumption that administrators' assessment is correct, which of the following predictions about the effect of the refit is most strongly supported by the information given?

CR62740.02

Current:
Coin operated machines costing 10c per print. So for 50 prints, cost will be 500c

New:
Most machines will be PREPAID card operated costing 9c per print for 50 prints. So people will prepay 450c to buy a card for 50 prints.
Some old machines will be retained.

Number of copies made will stay the same.

What can we infer? Since number of copies made is staying the same, and cost per copy is reducing by 10%, we can expect a reduction in revenue until and unless EVERYONE uses only the old machines. Then the revenue will stay the same.
Let's look at the options:

We cannot infer this. Even if they want to make 48 copies, they should still buy the card because it will be cheaper. Anyway, what the patrons will do, we cannot say.

Not necessary. We know that total number of copies will be the same. Some patrons may make more, others may make less.

No reason why number of people using machines will fall.

'Most' is not good enough. 'All' can be inferred. All need to use coin machines to keep the revenue steady.

Here is a new angle we had not considered before. What if people purchase copy cards but not use them fully. Their capacity is 50 copies so less than 90% of their capacity is less than 45 copies.
People have already paid 450c for the cards. But if they make less than 45 copies, they are actually paying more than 10c per copy. Then, since number of copies will stay the same, the revenue for the library will increase.
Correct

Answer (E)

Hello VeritasKarishma Ma'am,

Thank you for posting the detailed explanation of this questions. It helped me alot in understanding the basics of this question.
I have a silly doubt regarding option E.
We are assuming here that the cents un-utilized in the card is going as extra revenue to the library. (Unless the un-utilized money goes back to the library every month)
However, cents can be used at later point in time right!
So if I deconstruct the statement given in E "Revenues from photocopying will increase if copy cards that are purchased are, on average, used to significantly less than 90 percent of their capacity.". It means if copy cards were used for SIGNIFICANTLY less than 90 % (45 copies) copies then profit of the library will increase.

Using card: If a person is photocopying 10 copies (significantly less than 45) in a particular month=> his expenditure will be 90c, so he/she has 360c in his/her card. The remaining amount is still in the card which he/she can use later point in time. So how can we consider the unused amount of the card as profit earned by the library?
Using old machine: If the same person is photocopying 10 copies, he/she will pay 100c.
So overall, library is losing money.
Please help me understand if there is a gap in my understanding.

It is a PRE PAID card so the user has already paid 450c. Option (E) says
"... Revenues from photocopying will increase if copy cards that are purchased are, on average, used to significantly less than 90 percent of their capacity."

It says clearly that the cards are used to less than 90% of their capacity. It means the rest of the % is not used (not next month, not ever).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
VeritasKarishma

I had a fundamental doubt regarding this question - If the number of copies DONOT change & the cards are PREPAID then the new revenue is fixed (it cant change either!)

If the number of copies previously were 500 then the revenue would have been 5000. If we assume the same number of copies this year (500) then the revenue would be 9*500 = 4500. Now if we consider option (E) - that each card is under-utilized significantly - then the "revenue per copy" can increase but NOT the actual revenue - as the actual revenue has already been garnered.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64884 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Anant87 wrote:
VeritasKarishma

I had a fundamental doubt regarding this question - If the number of copies DONOT change & the cards are PREPAID then the new revenue is fixed (it cant change either!)

If the number of copies previously were 500 then the revenue would have been 5000. If we assume the same number of copies this year (500) then the revenue would be 9*500 = 4500. Now if we consider option (E) - that each card is under-utilized significantly - then the "revenue per copy" can increase but NOT the actual revenue - as the actual revenue has already been garnered.

Anant87:

This is a case of pre-paid advantage to the organisation.

Today:
500 copies are printed at 10 cents per copy so revenue = 5000c

Tomorrow (after refitting)
Each prepaid card is for 450c (50 copies at 9c a piece).
There are 3 different scenarios possible.

10 prepaid cards (500 copies possible) are sold for 4500c
All 500 copies are printed.
Revenue reduces.

11 prepaid cards (550 copies possible) are sold for about 5000c
500 copies are printed (about 90% of capacity of cards)
Revenue is same.

15 prepaid card (750 copies possible) are sold for 6750c
Only 500 copies are made (not 750 copies because cards used to significantly less than 90% of their capacity)
Revenue increases.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
I have one query ..

How can the card operated machines can go underutilised when the number of copies made remains the same .. Are we also assuming that the some of the coin-operated machines will be overutilised i.e will make more than 50 copies / machines ?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [0]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
sonalgmat123 wrote:
I have one query ..

How can the card operated machines can go underutilised when the number of copies made remains the same .. Are we also assuming that the some of the coin-operated machines will be overutilised i.e will make more than 50 copies / machines ?

generis wrote:

CR62740.02

VeritasKarishma AndrewN
My question is in extension to sonalgmat123 's question.

I understand the passage as follows:
Whatever mentioned in the passage, it is true. Whatever the question stem says is true, even if what it asks for is conditional.
I note that E is a conditional so it anticipates future revenue based on some logic - words like 'will' and 'if' helps in figuring out that.
E basically, eliminates the fact that the number of copies will remain essentially unchanged i.e. it will change and if the number change(DECREASE significantly) then revenue will increase.

So, can we say that 'On the assumption that administrators' assessment is correct' means just it is true? Can a conditional change the correct assessment which is true?
Because if it cannot then E does not make sense.
Please help.!!
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [3]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
unraveled wrote:
sonalgmat123 wrote:
I have one query ..

generis wrote:

CR62740.02

VeritasKarishma AndrewN
My question is in extension to sonalgmat123 's question.

I understand the passage as follows:
Whatever mentioned in the passage, it is true. Whatever the question stem says is true, even if what it asks for is conditional.
I note that E is a conditional so it anticipates future revenue based on some logic - words like 'will' and 'if' helps in figuring out that.
E basically, eliminates the fact that the number of copies will remain essentially unchanged i.e. it will change and if the number change(DECREASE significantly) then revenue will increase.

So, can we say that 'On the assumption that administrators' assessment is correct' means just it is true? Can a conditional change the correct assessment which is true?
Because if it cannot then E does not make sense.
Please help.!!

Hello, unraveled. As you said, the logic of the passage, the premises, must hold, even if a conclusion is wayward. In this case, we can justify the conditional in (E) on the basis that the information from the passage holds. The tip-off to me really came with the strong qualifying language: significantly. I wrote about that very word in response to an equally difficult CR question in this post. As an alternative approach, you can look to pare down the answer choices one by one to arrive at the correct conclusion. (I initially misread (B), overlooking the absolute in no, and it cost me some extra time to work out the question—2:48, to be exact.)

I hope that helps. If you have further questions, I would happy to offer my thoughts. Thank you for thinking to ask me.

- Andrew
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1531
Send PM
Hey VeritasKarishma

Quote:

Most of the discussions on this thread are about option E. However, could you expand a bit more on option D, which comes close to being the correct answer?

most - greater than 50% (51% - 100% inclusive). Knowing this, it was hard to eliminate option D.

Unrelated question.

Should we expect this kind of question, if we are not aiming for V 42+? This CR passage looks like something that one would get if he/she is doing really well on the Verbal section. :dazed
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 542 [2]
Given Kudos: 1656
Send PM
Kudos
Oh man this one kicked me hard......

It took me a couple of minutes to understand why E was correct. I too was thrown for a loop by the last sentence: “the number of copies will be essentially unchanged.”

I’ll TRY to explain my reasoning without resorting to lots of numbers, although in any question such as this we should be thinking about numerical comparisons.

How could the revenue go up? The cards are cheaper on a per copy basis and “the number of copies will remain unchanged.”

Less money on a per copy basis, same total copies ———-> revenue should go down, shouldn’t it? Click D, wrong.

Let’s build a small world and say Larry, Moe, and Curly are the only customers and would each make a set number of copies: 50, 50, and 50

They used to pay each time for their copies. The library got its 10 cents per copy and made 1,500 cents. 150 total copies were made.

The new plan is to sell cards with 50 copies on them at a cost of 9 cents per copy. Larry, Moe and Curly each buy a card: what a great deal!

The key is that these cards are pre-paid, meaning they pay for all 50 copies up front at 9 cents per copy.

The sentence that is causing the most confusion (at least for me at first) is the line that states “the number of copies are unchanged.” This is the same sentence that makes it so E is supported by the facts.

“Revenues on photocopies will increase if copy cards that are purchased are, on average, used to significantly less than their capacity.”

In our world where Larry, Moe, and Curly were the only 3 customers who bought cards, this would lead to a problem. IF the copy cards are only used to 80% (we’re told “significantly” less than 90%), then this means our 3 guys made copies of:

40, 40, and 40. 120 copies.

But before they made 150 copies. “The copies remain essentially unchanged.”

Thus, the only way to keep the copies the same is to sell MORE of these cards to more customers. We need at least a 4th person to come in and buy a card. So another customer (Bob Marley) must have come in, pre purchased a card, and used some of it.

Bob used 30 copies.

Now the copies have remain unchanged: we have the same 150 copies as before.

Before:

Larry, Moe, Curly: 150 copies ———-> 1,500 cents

Now:
Larry, Moe, Curly, and Bob: still make the 150 copies ———-> but they have all prepaid for a card: 9 cents per copy * 50 copies = 450 cents per card

The library has now made 450 cents off each one of them for ———-> 1,800 cents

And 1,800 cents > 1,500 cents

Each copy essentially only costs 9 cents. The key is that the cards are prepaid and customers are not using them to their potential.....while the total copies stay the same. More money up front for the big, bad corporate library.....what’s up with these libraries always trying to take money out our pocket?

Therefore, based on answer E’s “IF” hypothetical about the usage and the facts given, the revenue MUST go up. The cards are prepaid and on average the customers aren’t fully using them.

Is it me or does this test get harder with each passing Official Guide?

Thanks generis

Of course you were the one to post it :-)

Edit: and before everyone comes up with scenarios to prove how this COULD be false, notice the question stem: “Best supported.”

The question stem is slightly different from a pure inference question stem in which we need to make a 100%, without a doubt, locked in with certainty Inference. (Called deductions?)

E is very strongly supported - right under that 100% Inference level.

Posted from my mobile device
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64884 [5]
Send PM
Kudos