Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:17 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [6]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [4]
Given Kudos: 181
Send PM
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
Own Kudos [?]: 2769 [0]
Given Kudos: 1510
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 72
Schools: IMD '21
Send PM
Re: A research foundation based in Montpelier, Vermont announces a reward [#permalink]
We can wait for some expert views.
But I marked option D.
Argument takes a leap from successful application to prize money.
Option D links this well and states that this assumption is not true. Any weakner has to bring outside information, hence this information is well within the scope of the argument.
Option B, May be, plays on the math part of probability. Still not convinced with it .

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [1]
Given Kudos: 382
Schools: NUS '20
Send PM
Re: A research foundation based in Montpelier, Vermont announces a reward [#permalink]
Bookmarks
yashikaaggarwal wrote:
I second that,

The concluding line of the passage is that, "The foundation director decides to ask the board to approve a doubling of the prize money to $1,000,000 to increase the probability that a successful application will come in."

The application prize scope is increased in hope to attract more participants.

The statement weakening the argument is;

A. $1,000,000 would still make this only the second largest prize in the field. (Its not necessary that its the second largest prize so that will attract more participants, no Stats is given) (Out of scope)

B. At $500,000, the prize did not, in fact, attract a single application. (Can be the weakening argument as if 5,00,000 half of the double prize OE initial prize didn't attracted a single participant its not necessary that 1,000,000 will.)

C. The doubling of the reward would merely attract more, and more sophisticated, bogus applications than the grant already attracts. (Even if bogus applications are received not of participants will actually increase strengthening the passage) (Incorrect)

D. Most of the best-qualified researchers in this field are already well-funded and paid.(So they will not participate in competition just because they are well paid, not logical inference neither stated in passage) (Incorrect)

E. Years ago, researchers discovered physical barriers to the specified application that no one has been able to overcome.(No physical barrier have been introduced by the passage, hence out of scope)

IMO B

Hi Yashika,

I respectfully disagree with your explanation, which you have provided for option B

How is option B becomes the weakener, when in the argument its clearly mentioned that because $500,000 is less to attract any applications than may be $1,000,000 prize money will attract some application

According to me option B is just a restatement of words mentioned in the argument that $500,000 is less to attract any application

Please correct me if i am wrong
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Need expert comment on this.

C looks correct.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V39
GMAT 3: 710 Q48 V39
GRE 1: Q166 V152
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
IMO B

If 500,000, which is a lot of money, didnt attract a single application, no solution for that application exists.
its not that someone has the solution for application but didnt apply coz the money was too less.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Kudos
I am unable to understand the solution provided and neither is anyone else in the discussion. Kindly help us out regarding the same by giving your two cents on the issue. Thanks in advance.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [1]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
NamaySharma wrote:
I am unable to understand the solution provided and neither is anyone else in the discussion. Kindly help us out regarding the same by giving your two cents on the issue. Thanks in advance.

My two cents are that (C) is the best answer.

After all, the fact that $500,000 attracted no applications does not mean that increasing the prize to $1,000,000 won't make a difference. That increase is substantial, and here's a similar example. The might be no applicants for a job if it were to pay $14,000 per year and 1000 applicants for the same job if it were to pay $28,000 per year. So, (B) doesn't really work.

On the other hand, if what (C) says is true, then the increase will make no difference at all. After all, the idea that increasing the prize to a $1,000,000 will "merely attract more, and more sophisticated, bogus applications than the grant already attracts," means that increasing the prize will attract ONLY bogus applications and NO successful applications. So, choice (C) basically directly says that increasing the prize will make no difference all.

So, in fact, (C) goes beyond weakening the argument to outright saying that the plan for sure will not work.

Therefore (C) is the best answer to this weak question.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [3]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Kudos
MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:
NamaySharma wrote:

My two cents are that (C) is the best answer.

After all, the fact that $500,000 attracted no applications does not mean that increasing the prize to $1,000,000 won't make a difference. That increase is substantial, and here's a similar example. The might be no applicants for a job if it were to pay $14,000 per year and 1000 applicants for the same job if it were to pay $28,000 per year. So, (B) doesn't really work.

On the other hand, if what (C) says is true, then the increase will make no difference at all. After all, the idea that increasing the prize to a $1,000,000 will "merely attract more, and more sophisticated, bogus applications than the grant already attracts," means that increasing the prize will attract ONLY bogus applications and NO successful applications. So, choice (C) basically directly says that increasing the prize will make no difference all.

So, in fact, (C) goes beyond weakening the argument to outright saying that the plan for sure will not work.

Therefore (C) is the best answer to this weak question.

Thank you so much for your time! I went with C as well but the solution shown was B. So I was quite confused as B made no sense whatsoever.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts