Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:45 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619016 [9]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619016 [1]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 836 [0]
Given Kudos: 333
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.56
WE:Engineering (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Re: Advertisement banners in the air balloon competition last year receive [#permalink]
E seems to be the most appropriate choice. so.... that is the correct idiom. Invest in marketing as much as in bundling seems parallel.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Re: Advertisement banners in the air balloon competition last year receive [#permalink]
Advertisement banners in the air balloon competition last year received so much more exposure than the ads on sports cars in the countryside rally race, owned by the same company, that the company had to invest more in marketing the car ads as well as bundle banners and car ads into a single package.

IMO E

(A) that the company had to invest more in marketing the car ads as well as bundle banners and car ads into a single package

(B) so that the company had to invest more in marketing the car ads and bundle banners as well as car ads into a single package

(C) that the company had to invest more in marketing the car ads and bundle banners and car ads into a single package

(D) as to forcing the company to invest in marketing the car ads as much as in bundling banners and car ads into a single package

(E) that the company had to invest in marketing the car ads as much as in bundling banners and car ads into a single package

The meaning of the original sentence was not very clear- had to re-read it a few times. Took me 2:16 seconds to be able to make a reasoned guess

Reasoning
1. More in marketing.....as well as bundle banners- use of as well as here does not seem very logical. A eliminated
2. So much more......, so that is wrong. B eliminated
3. C has too many "and" one after the another, meaning is not very clear, there. There should be a comma before the first "and".
4. Between D and E, both seem better than the others. I am going with E

not sure about the past perfect.

Originally posted by hbkharsh on 23 Jul 2021, 04:20.
Last edited by hbkharsh on 23 Jul 2021, 23:51, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 220 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
received much more exposure ... that ... (that describes the degree of more exposure)
B and D are eliminated.
A as well as, C and (C is preferable to A)
Now, we have to compare between C and E.
C: more exposure that the company had to 1) invest ... and 2) bundle banners and car ads ...
E: more exposure that the company had to invest in marketing ads as much as in bundling
I am not sure what the author is trying to say, maybe C?
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1047 [0]
Given Kudos: 630
Schools: Ross '25 (M$)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
Send PM
Quote:
(C) that the company had to invest more in marketing the car ads and bundle banners and car ads into a single package

(C) This answer choice corrects the original redundancy issue by simply replacing the wordy as well as with the concise and. No further adjustments are necessary in this sentence, and indeed none were made.

In the original sentence, the addition phrase as well as is used to connect between two actions the company had to carry out (invest and bundle):

invest as well as bundle = invest + bundle Correct Choice
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Given Kudos: 446
Send PM
The right option choice is option (C)

Remember usually when you see "more" in the sentence it indicate "comparison".
Here in the original sentence it indicates "degree" of something.

Hence, if you try to understand the meaning of the sentence you'd realize that the company as a result of low success on car ads, realized that they need to spend more money on banners. Please see below the process of elimination:

(A) that the company had to invest more in marketing the car ads as well as bundle banners and car ads into a single package- WRONG

(B) so that the company had to invest more in marketing the car ads and bundle banners as well as car ads into a single package- WRONG-the company didn't do anything with some intention here. What follows in the underlined portion should reflect the result of what preceeded.

(C) so that the company had to invest more in marketing the car ads and bundle banners and car ads into a single package-CORRECT
(D) as to forcing the company to invest in marketing the car ads as much as in bundling banners and car ads into a single package- WRONG- there is no idiom like as X as much as Y- the sentence follows this structure

(E) that the company had to invest in marketing the car ads as much as in bundling banners and car ads into a single package- WRONG - this distorts the intended meaning by saying "as much as"

Originally posted by kittle on 23 Jul 2021, 06:57.
Last edited by kittle on 24 Jul 2021, 03:05, edited 3 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 121
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
I chose A,

the company had to invest more... as well as bundle banners and car ads..

Option C,

the company had to invest more in marketing car ads and bundle banners and car ads... somehow seems confusing to me to have the 2 ands

Option E,
Does it not change the meaning? invest in marketing as much as in bundling?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

Advertisement banners in the air balloon competition last year received so much more exposure than the ads on sports cars in the countryside rally race, owned by the same company, that the company had to invest more in marketing the car ads as well as bundle banners and car ads into a single package.

(A) that the company had to invest more in marketing the car ads as well as bundle banners and car ads into a single package

This answer choice is stylistically flawed. Using as well as instead of and is redundant.

(B) so that the company had to invest more in marketing the car ads and bundle banners as well as car ads into a single package

While this answer choice corrects one of the two original redundancies, it repeats the other: using as well as instead of and is redundant.

Furthermore, this answer choice does not fit into the original sentence as a result of the addition of the word so in the beginning of the underlined part. The correct construction is so X that Y and not so X so that Y.

This answer choice corrects the original redundancy issue by simply replacing the wordy as well as with the concise and. No further adjustments are necessary in this sentence, and indeed none were made.

(D) as to forcing the company to invest in marketing the car ads as much as in bundling banners and car ads into a single package

This answer choice is grammatically incorrect. The construction so x as to y is incorrect.

Also, this answer choice changes the meaning of the original sentence. In the original sentence, the addition phrase as well as is used to connect between two actions the company had to carry out (invest and bundle):

invest as well as bundle = invest + bundle

In this answer choice, as well as is replaced by as much as, which denotes a comparison between the two objects of the verb invest, namely, marketing and bundling.

(E) that the company had to invest in marketing the car ads as much as in bundling banners and car ads into a single package

This answer choice changes the meaning of the original sentence. In the original sentence, the addition phrase as well as is used to connect between two actions the company had to carry out (invest and bundle):

invest as well as bundle = invest + bundle

In this answer choice, as well as is replaced by as much as, which denotes a comparison between the two objects of the verb invest, namely, marketing and bundling.

I havea confusion here. Someone please help with this.

Shouldn't there be a ',' in answer choice C after "marketing the car ads"-

that the company had to invest more in marketing the car ads, and bundle banners and car ads into a single package

Because we are bundling banners and car ads into one and they together are part of the list.
Without comma the sentence seems a little awkward.

Thanks in advance.
ISB & IIM Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V36
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Hi Experts

GMATNinja VeritasKarishma EducationAisle ChrisLele mikemcgarry AjiteshArun egmat sayantanc2k RonPurewal DmitryFarber MagooshExpert avigutman EMPOWERgmatVerbal MartyTargetTestPrep ExpertsGlobal5 IanStewart
other experts AnthonyRitz

Can anyone please help me with this question?

I want to know the meaning of the sentence and then the difference between option A C and E

Thanks mentors for your support!!!!
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [2]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Vatsal7794
Sorry, but this question isn't worth the attention. I can't imagine that a real SC question would really just ask you to change "as well as" to "and" for the sake of concision. If that's all they want, what's the point of the rest of the sentence? Also, the meaning is too obscure for a reader to be expected to make a reasonable decision. Skip it!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts