Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:56 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618748 [26]
Given Kudos: 81587
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [23]
Given Kudos: 500
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [3]
Given Kudos: 106
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q45 V35
GPA: 4
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2301 [1]
Given Kudos: 114
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: GMAT CLUB OLYMPICS: Painting a picture with a brush is like playing a [#permalink]
Kudos
My answer is (D). This is a super tricky question.

> "like playing" VS. "not unlike playing". I think either is ok. The former is more concise, but the latter cannot be deemed wordy even by GMAT standard.

> "at other times" VS. "other times". Based on https://www.pearsonlongman.com/ae/azar/g ... /00036.htm,
(1) Other times can be used with or without the preposition at, often interchangeably.
(2) Other times seems a bit more descriptive of the event, while at other times focuses on noting the event in a time frame.
(3) It is important to consider parallelism with the first clause.
(3.1) When "sometimes" is used in the first clause, "other times" is preferred.
(3.2) When "at certain times" is used in the first clause, "at other times" is preferred.

In this sentence, "sometimes" is used in "sometimes the implement is your best friend", so it seems that we should pick "other times" rather than "at other times". Eliminate (A) and (C).

> "a bat, a club, a racket, or a stick" VS. "a bat, club, racket, or stick"
Based on https://english.stackexchange.com/quest ... hird-nouns, both are grammatical, but "omitting subsequent a's would lead to an unnatural-sounding variant."
So, it might be safer to stick with "a bat, a club, a racket, or a stick". Eliminate (E).

We still have to compare (B) with (D).
In (B), "sometimes the implement is your best friend, other times your worst enemy" should be equivalent with
"sometimes the implement is your best friend, other times the implement is your worst enemy".
There is a comma splice error.

In (D), on the other hand, the conjunction "but" fixes the very issue above. That is why (D) is probably the best answer choice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [2]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Re: GMAT CLUB OLYMPICS: Painting a picture with a brush is like playing a [#permalink]
Kudos
OA : B

(A) like playing a sport with a tool of the trade—whether a bat, club, racket, or stick—sometimes the implement is your best friend, but at other times it is your worst enemy
"but at" is not parallel with "sometimes"

(B) not unlike playing a sport with a tool of the trade—whether a bat, a club, a racket, or a stick—sometimes the implement is your best friend, other times your worst enemy
Correct

(C) not unlike playing a sport with a tool of the trade—whether a bat, club, racket, or stick—sometimes the implement is your best friend, but at other times your worst enemy
"but at" is not parallel with "sometimes"

(D) like playing a sport with a tool of the trade—whether a bat, a club, a racket, or a stick—sometimes the implement is your best friend, but other times your worst enemy
"but" and "other" both indicates opposition which makes it redundant

(E) like playing a sport with a tool of the trade—whether a bat, club, racket, or stick—sometimes the implement is your best friend, but other times it is your worst enemy
"but" and "other" both indicates opposition which makes it redundant
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Kudos
Ruled A, C and E – those did not have consistency in terms of articles in front of the named tools.
Then opted for B – I found the structure "sometimes X, but other times Y" less viable than "sometimes X, other times Y". I have never heard "but" used in this particular expression.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 119 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Painting a picture with a brush is like playing a sport with a tool of the trade—whether a bat, club, racket, or stick—sometimes the implement is your best friend, but at other times it is your worst enemy.

The split is like-not unlike, and both mean different.
Two ways to look at it -
1) Go with the original meaning.
2) Go with the meaning that suits best.
(2) should win over (1), so let us look at what fits in better.

1) LIKE shows a greater degree of similarity as against Not unlike.
Here I would feel 'not unlike' is slightly better.

2) But there should be some other flaws too.
When I look at whether x or y, I would look at similarity between x and y.
So, I would be more comfortable with whether a bat or a stick

3) Thirdly, But is for contrast, so I would prefer 'while' instead.

(A) like playing a sport with a tool of the trade—whether a bat, club, racket, or stick—sometimes the implement is your best friend, but at other times it is your worst enemy
All 3 flaws as shown above.

(B) not unlike playing a sport with a tool of the trade—whether a bat, a club, a racket, or a stick—sometimes the implement is your best friend, other times your worst enemy
Best possible. Maybe use of WHILE would make it better.

(C) not unlike playing a sport with a tool of the trade—whether a bat, club, racket, or stick—sometimes the implement is your best friend, but at other times your worst enemy
Flaw 2 and 3.

(D) like playing a sport with a tool of the trade—whether a bat, a club, a racket, or a stick—sometimes the implement is your best friend, but other times your worst enemy
Flaw 1 and 3

(E) like playing a sport with a tool of the trade—whether a bat, club, racket, or stick—sometimes the implement is your best friend, but other times it is your worst enemy
All 3 flaws

B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 972 [0]
Given Kudos: 655
Send PM
Take two examples: “I like pizzas” vs “I don’t dislike pizzas”.
The first states that I actually like pizzas while the second says that I may or may not like pizzas. I simply don’t have any dislike towards the pizzas.

the same is true for “like” and “not unlike”.
The first means similar while the second means that they are not different.
In our case we probably need “like”, because in both painting and sports, the instruments you use have similar traits.
Moreover, there is no correct choice on the GMAT that has a structure “unlike verbing”.

“at other times” vs “other time”.
“at other times” refers to periods of time while “other times” refers to sequence, kind of “first time, I could lift it but other times I was unable”.
In our case we need the former.

“comma + but” can be followed both by a complete sentence or by a fragment parallel to something that preceded “but”
“comma + but” doesn’t always signal an independent clause and there are many such correct choices on the GMAT.
Keeping this in mind, let’s move further.

correct because it uses “but at other times”. Additionally, “like” correctly signifies similarity. Morover, “it is your” at the end eliminated a possible ambiguity present in C.

Incorrect because illogically uses “other time”. a conjunction “but” is missed, so we have a comma splice. “other times your worst enemy” may mean that “other times your worst enemy is your best friend”. Not the intended meaning.
There is no correct choice on the GMAT that has a structure “unlike verbing”.

There is no correct choice on the GMAT that has a structure “unlike verbing”. “other times your worst enemy” may mean that “other times your worst enemy is your best friend”. Not the intended meaning.
take an easier example: “sometimes joy is your best motivator, but at other times pain”.
Possible interpretations:
1. sometimes joy is your best motivator, but at other times pain is your best motivator.
2. sometimes joy is your best motivator, but at other times joy is your pain.
Ambiguous

Incorrect because illogically used “other time”.
Has similar ambiguity as in C and D.

Incorrect because illogically uses “other time”.

So A
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [2]
Given Kudos: 167
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V25
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
(A) Painting a picture with a brush is like playing a sport with a tool of the trade—whether a bat, club, racket, or stick—sometimes the implement is your best friend, but at other times it is your worst enemy - 'At other times' refers to time frame, 'but' along with 'at other times' is wrong grammar, here the usage is incorrect, Changes meaning - Eliminate

(B) Painting a picture with a brush is not unlike playing a sport with a tool of the trade—whether a bat, a club, a racket, or a stick—sometimes the implement is your best friend, other times your worst enemy - Clear Meaning, Correct

(C) Painting a picture with a brush is not unlike playing a sport with a tool of the trade—whether a bat, club, racket, or stick—sometimes the implement is your best friend, but at other times your worst enemy - 'At other times' refers to time frame, here the usage is incorrect, 'but' along with 'at other times' is wrong grammar, Changes meaning - Eliminate

(D) Painting a picture with a brush is like playing a sport with a tool of the trade—whether a bat, a club, a racket, or a stick—sometimes the implement is your best friend, but other times your worst enemy - 'Sometimes' with 'other times' shows contrast, 'but' is not required, Eliminate

(E) Painting a picture with a brush is like playing a sport with a tool of the trade—whether a bat, club, racket, or stick—sometimes the implement is your best friend, but other times it is your worst enemy - The usage of 'it' is incorrect here, Eliminate

Answer - B
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [1]
Kudos
Expert Reply
zhanbo wrote:
My answer is (D). This is a super tricky question.

> "like playing" VS. "not unlike playing". I think either is ok. The former is more concise, but the latter cannot be deemed wordy even by GMAT standard.

> "at other times" VS. "other times". Based on https://www.pearsonlongman.com/ae/azar/g ... /00036.htm,
(1) Other times can be used with or without the preposition at, often interchangeably.
(2) Other times seems a bit more descriptive of the event, while at other times focuses on noting the event in a time frame.
(3) It is important to consider parallelism with the first clause.
(3.1) When "sometimes" is used in the first clause, "other times" is preferred.
(3.2) When "at certain times" is used in the first clause, "at other times" is preferred.

In this sentence, "sometimes" is used in "sometimes the implement is your best friend", so it seems that we should pick "other times" rather than "at other times". Eliminate (A) and (C).

> "a bat, a club, a racket, or a stick" VS. "a bat, club, racket, or stick"
Based on https://english.stackexchange.com/quest ... hird-nouns, both are grammatical, but "omitting subsequent a's would lead to an unnatural-sounding variant."
So, it might be safer to stick with "a bat, a club, a racket, or a stick". Eliminate (E).

We still have to compare (B) with (D).
In (B), "sometimes the implement is your best friend, other times your worst enemy" should be equivalent with
"sometimes the implement is your best friend, other times the implement is your worst enemy".
There is a comma splice error.

In (D), on the other hand, the conjunction "but" fixes the very issue above. That is why (D) is probably the best answer choice.

Hello, zhanbo. I thoroughly enjoyed reading the above analysis, and I appreciate the references, so I awarded a kudos. The question may have pushed you just a little too much outside your comfort zone, but your step-by-step narrowing down of the answer choices is wonderful, worthy of recognition. Thank you for helping guide the community.

- Andrew
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [0]
Expert Reply
insomnia wrote:
Ruled A, C and E – those did not have consistency in terms of articles in front of the named tools.
Then opted for B – I found the structure "sometimes X, but other times Y" less viable than "sometimes X, other times Y". I have never heard "but" used in this particular expression.

Nice catch, insomnia. Indeed, this sort of whittling down of the answer pool is exactly the line of logic a test-taker can take to arrive at an accurate conclusion, no matter the difficulty of the question. Well done.

- Andrew
Volunteer Expert
Expert Reply
cs15811581 wrote:
Painting a picture with a brush is like playing a sport with a tool of the trade—whether a bat, club, racket, or stick—sometimes the implement is your best friend, but at other times it is your worst enemy.

The split is like-not unlike, and both mean different.
Two ways to look at it -
1) Go with the original meaning.
2) Go with the meaning that suits best.
(2) should win over (1), so let us look at what fits in better.

1) LIKE shows a greater degree of similarity as against Not unlike.
Here I would feel 'not unlike' is slightly better.

2) But there should be some other flaws too.
When I look at whether x or y, I would look at similarity between x and y.
So, I would be more comfortable with whether a bat or a stick

3) Thirdly, But is for contrast, so I would prefer 'while' instead.

All 3 flaws as shown above.

Best possible. Maybe use of WHILE would make it better.

Flaw 2 and 3.

Flaw 1 and 3

All 3 flaws

B

An excellent breakdown of a quite difficult question, Gladiator. (Just make sure you do not turn your back.) Well done.

- Andrew
Volunteer Expert
Expert Reply
Hello, JonShukhrat. I wanted to take a moment to address a few issues you brought up in your post.

JonShukhrat wrote:
Take two examples: “I like pizzas” vs “I don’t dislike pizzas”.
The first states that I actually like pizzas while the second says that I may or may not like pizzas. I simply don’t have any dislike towards the pizzas.

the same is true for “like” and “not unlike”.
The first means similar while the second means that they are not different.
In our case we probably need “like”, because in both painting and sports, the instruments you use have similar traits.
Moreover, there is no correct choice on the GMAT that has a structure “unlike verbing”.

Not dislike and not unlike are not quite so similar, although I like your sentence about the pizzas and agree with the point you made there. The statement at the end about "unlike verbing" sounds a little too one-note and mechanical, atypical of the analysis you more often provide on a given topic. I could easily see a sentence on comparisons, such as the following, appearing on the GMAT™ at some point:

Unlike rock climbing, running requires nothing more than a pair of shoes to get started.

Is the structure incorrect merely because we do not have a SC OA at hand to point to? Keep in mind, the test is always changing, and before a few years ago, tutors were teaching that possessive pronouns—e.g., her—could not refer to a possessive noun—in this case, say, Samantha's—simply because no official SC question had done so. Then, along came this Emily Dickinson question that forced tutors to revise their position (or continue spouting off incorrect advice).

JonShukhrat wrote:
“at other times” vs “other time”.
“at other times” refers to periods of time while “other times” refers to sequence, kind of “first time, I could lift it but other times I was unable”.
In our case we need the former.

“comma + but” can be followed both by a complete sentence or by a fragment parallel to something that preceded “but”
“comma + but” doesn’t always signal an independent clause and there are many such correct choices on the GMAT.
Keeping this in mind, let’s move further.

I think either iteration of the sample sentence could work:

1) The first time, I could lift it, but other times, I was unable [to do so].
2) The first time, I could lift it, but at other times, I was unable [to do so].

It is not as if the second sentence is wrong, but the preposition is not strictly necessary to convey a similar meaning.

JonShukhrat wrote:

There is no correct choice on the GMAT that has a structure “unlike verbing”. “other times your worst enemy” may mean that “other times your worst enemy is your best friend”. Not the intended meaning.
take an easier example: “sometimes joy is your best motivator, but at other times pain”.
Possible interpretations:
1. sometimes joy is your best motivator, but at other times pain is your best motivator.
2. sometimes joy is your best motivator, but at other times joy is your pain.
Ambiguous

The sample sentence is different from the one in the question at hand:

1) Sometimes the implement is X, but at other times [the implement] is Y.
2) Sometimes joy is X, but at other times pain is X.

That said, if I were writing under time pressure during the competition, my thoughts would be far less cogent than what you have provided in your post. I appreciate your taking the time to back up your position.

- Andrew
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts