Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:20 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 98
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V42 (Online)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5134 [1]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Send PM
Re: How to improve from V34 to V37? [#permalink]
Kudos
MartyTargetTestPrep
Thank you so much.
I will do my best!
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 486 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi, imangulov

Based on the three sentences you provided, it looks to me like modifiers and idioms are probably tough for you. That makes sense--especially idioms.

For modifiers, play very close to where the 'description' is, and where the thing it's supposed to logically describe is. For example "later Elizabeth Barrett Browning was overshadowed by his success." The descriptor 'later,' which is logically meant to describe WHEN ELIZABETH WAS OVERSHADOWED, seems to be describing Elizabeth herself. That doesn't make sense (What is a 'later person?') It's easy to overlook modifier mistakes because we interpret the sentence so that it makes sense, even if the sentence itself--per the rules of structure and grammar--doesn't actually make sense. This is in my opinion one of the hardest SC skills to master!

For RC, you mention you get tangled up by some of the words you don't know, but try to remember those words don't actually matter. I use a paragraph similar to the one below to introduce RC to my students:

Quote:
For decades, scientists believed flick-flackers, purpulation locomotors generated in destablization trunculated synthesis, were more granulating than buncers, because buncers had far more humperdinkulors. However, when Lionel Brikkabak was studying buncers to determine their role in thrombastic planetorial tiangulation, he discovered they also have unusually high amounts of Billabong Beach Sandals, which are known to nullify the ungranulating effects of humperdinkulors in other nextrals.

The actual topic is of course meaningless gibberish, but you can use the words you DO know to determine the logical ideas being constructed. Words like 'more' 'because' 'generated' 'however' 'unusually high' 'nullify.'

Pay close attention to those words to build a logical map of the passage.

Another thing to really, really remember (for the entire test, not just verbal) is that your goal when a question appears in front of you is NOT "Get this question right." Your goal is to use time wisely. You must understand--you will miss several questions on the test, guaranteed. It's in the very design of the test to do so! So you might determine that a particularly gnarly passage is not worth *full* time investment. You might read for very high level and make a few quick educated guesses and save the time for later (also a fun fact--almost always, 1 of the 4 passages on the section will be experimental, so skipping it won't hurt your score at all).

The other thing to consider is that a 37 is not terribly far from a 34. It's possible that on a good day you can already get a 37 (I know you mentioned your friends' scores went down in verbal on the official test, but trust me--I've seen MANY students get higher scores on the real test!)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ReedArnoldMPREP

Thank you for your answer so much.
I will revise modifiers for sure and pay more attention. But what to do with idioms?
In fact, I have watched several times your absolutely legendary youtube video "an expert takes verbal" and you made a brilliant analysis of each answer choice, but sometimes you eliminated choices because being an English-speaking person you "felt" that it was incorrect. I do not have this "common sense" regarding idioms, even though I read in English a lot.
Talking about RCs, you are absolutely right. I will focus on strategy and practice more LSAT texts as I have run out of OG.
Thank you!
Own Kudos [?]: 486 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
imangulov wrote:
ReedArnoldMPREP

Thank you for your answer so much.
I will revise modifiers for sure and pay more attention. But what to do with idioms?
In fact, I have watched several times your absolutely legendary youtube video "an expert takes verbal" and you made a brilliant analysis of each answer choice, but sometimes you eliminated choices because being an English-speaking person you "felt" that it was incorrect. I do not have this "common sense" regarding idioms, even though I read in English a lot.
Talking about RCs, you are absolutely right. I will focus on strategy and practice more LSAT texts as I have run out of OG.
Thank you!

Idioms are very challenging for this reason. Fortunately, we have reason to think the GMAT is using them less frequently (precisely because non-native speakers have such a disadvantage with them). There is a chapter on common idioms in "All The Verbal" you could use to make flashcards!

And glad you enjoyed the 'Twitch the GMAT' video. But you're right--in the heat of the moment, at some point you *do* have to just guess with your intuition (note that there are times in that video when my reasoning is actually NOT THAT GOOD! A huge reason I did that video was to show 'experts make mistakes too').
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Kudos
I think my weaker points are RC and SC.

3 RC Tips:

https://www.gmatknight.com/post/3-readi ... gmat-tutor
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ReedArnoldMPREP

Thank you again, I will learn these idioms, but, at the end of the day, I do not need a "crazy elite" score so probably I will not see many idiomatic questions. Am I right?
Own Kudos [?]: 486 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Yeah, idioms are pretty low priority! And again--we suspect the GMAT is not testing them now as often as they used to, so they're overrepresented in older questions.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13957 posts