Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:00 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 244 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: CPG Marketing
Schools:Chicago Booth 2013, Ross, Duke , Kellogg , Stanford, Haas
 Q41  V42
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q41  V42
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q41  V42
Send PM
Re: 690 to 680...debrief [#permalink]
PadawanOfTheGMAT wrote:
2) You get same or lower score: you wasted your time.

I'm only concerned about wasting time if it meant my applications suffered because of it, I don't think this will be the case as I am pretty far along on applications and think they are close to where I want them to be.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
ok, i think it would not hurt if you retake with some prep but if it is the same score or lower then it will probably be negative because 1. you reached your "peak" and 2. school sees you not taking it seriously because no improvement - they see you as taking your chances even if you arent.

690 is not horrible score though...
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2930 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Hey ... I really hope you don't let this "blip" in the GMAT effect you to much. I mean its not as if you have a complete disastor score, plus given the circumstance of the first score, it is very comendable.

In my opinion, if you don't have a quant background and your essays are good enough, not sure if the push for the extra 20 or 30 will really make or break the application for you.

Your verbal scores are really good, so if you do decide to retake, you can focus on just the quant side of things. Which again, in my opinion is probably easier to improve on than verbal is
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q41  V42
Send PM
I would not report my 3rd score unless it was above 700, I think it is worth it to pay the extra money later if I do well then to show a 3rd score that is the same or lower. Yeah 690 is not that bad, but I feel a 58% in quant with no other math credentials to speak of does not look so good.

The only thing I would have to lose by re-taking it is the opportunity to submit Kellogg and Duke apps in R1 vs. R2, which I'm not sure is really that big a deal.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Fuqua '14 (M)
Send PM
There is no way to not report a GMAT score. Your scores for the last five years are included on the official GMAC transcript.

I'm writing for the 3rd time this fall...so don't sweat it :)

Good luck.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Michmax3 wrote:
I would not report my 3rd score unless it was above 700,

That's not how it works.

If you want to see your score, then all previous universities to which you have sent your scores will also be granted access to this third score.

And if you find you messed up and want to cancel the score, then the universities will also be able to see that you canceled your third score, and they will deduce you weren't happy with the way the test went on and this third score would have been even lower.

690 is good enough, it's the "700" holy grail that's owning you.

If you do take a third attempt I do hope you score big and I'm sure you will, but is it really worth it... :wink:
Current Student
Send PM
Michmax3 wrote:
I would not report my 3rd score unless it was above 700, I think it is worth it to pay the extra money later if I do well then to show a 3rd score that is the same or lower. Yeah 690 is not that bad, but I feel a 58% in quant with no other math credentials to speak of does not look so good.

The only thing I would have to lose by re-taking it is the opportunity to submit Kellogg and Duke apps in R1 vs. R2, which I'm not sure is really that big a deal.

the adcom will see everything so you cant "hide" the scores. It will look bad if you retake and get same score...
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 21
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
Send PM
Michmax3 wrote:

Hi Michmax3,

I took my GMAT the 3rd time and I walked away smiling personally. I'm not saying that it'll happen for you as well but that's what happened for me.

With that said, I had a chance to talk to an admissions officer from Cornell. I asked her whether the fact that I took GMAT more than once would be a problem. She mentioned that taking the GMAT more than once demonstrates a candidate's dedication to the application process that it won't be counted against you. That being said, she did ask me how many times I took the test and told her 3 times. She told me that they are a bit weary of taking test more than 3 times and that 3 is an acceptable number.

I've said this before on another post. Do not put yourself into "...what if" situation. If you can walk away --- 690 is by no means a bad score --- by all means, concentrate on your application.

Good luck.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q41  V42
Send PM
Oh, I thought they would only get the score report again if I chose the 5 schools at the beginning. So they would automatically send the 3rd report to any school I chose for the first 2 tests? Wouldn't that mean they are sending to more than 5 if I had different selections each time?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Michmax3 wrote:
So they would automatically send the 3rd report to any school I chose for the first 2 tests? Wouldn't that mean they are sending to more than 5 if I had different selections each time?

Yes. Yes.
Current Student
Send PM
Michmax3 wrote:
Oh, I thought they would only get the score report again if I chose the 5 schools at the beginning. So they would automatically send the 3rd report to any school I chose for the first 2 tests? Wouldn't that mean they are sending to more than 5 if I had different selections each time?

well when you apply the school will most likely want a scanne score report followed by official score sent upon acceptance. Some schools want the real report when you are submitting your app as well. The real report will have all your scores. there's no way to the school from obtaining the latest scores.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Michmax3 wrote:
PadawanOfTheGMAT wrote:
I would advise to stop the gmat right now. Two scenarios:

1) You get a better score. Great, feeling better? Now you have three scores. They may say "man, this guy surely has a lot of spare time!".

That was kinda harsh. I didn't think 3 scores was necessarily bad if you showed improvement. Couldn't it just as easily show determination instead of having lots of spare time? Any other opinions on this?

Michmax

Forget the GMAT. focus on applications. out of 5 schools given your confidence in other aspects of application I'm confident u will get in some where. worst case scenario.. if you dont get in anywhere. take 2-3 months solely for GMAT and reapply rd 1. I dont think u should waste precious time improving from a 690 at this point in time
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts