Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 11:11 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 11:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51450 [21]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51450 [5]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
GPA: 3.55
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Re: Mutual funds, though helpful for personal investors who wish to divers [#permalink]
best bet is B : collected by the IRS are taxes not only on shareholders’ eventual sales of the securities, but also on
------------->as only B is parallel
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [4]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Re: Mutual funds, though helpful for personal investors who wish to divers [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
This is not a good problem. While the GMAT certainly presents difficult and complicated constructions, I have never seen a GMAT SC problem in which the right answer was this backward. (B) inverts the natural grammatical order ("taxes are collected") in an awkward, Yoda-like fashion ("collected by the IRS are taxes") that is totally unneeded.

Compare to the link below, in which the inversion of order prevents us from having a very long and involved subject.

what-was-as-remarkable-as-the-development-of-the-compact-85107.html
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 431 [3]
Given Kudos: 131
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
souvik101990 wrote:
Mutual funds, though helpful for personal investors who wish to diversify their portfolios, expose shareholders to additional taxation: not only are taxes on shareholders’ eventual sales of the securities collected by the IRS, but also on reinvested dividend stakes earned by the securities held by the fund itself.

A) not only are taxes on shareholders’ eventual sales of the securities collected by the IRS, but also on
B) collected by the IRS are taxes not only on shareholders’ eventual sales of the securities, but also on
C) taxes not only on shareholders’ eventual sales of the securities are collected by the IRS but also
D) not only taxes on shareholders’ eventual sales of the securities are collected by the IRS, but also on
E) taxes are collected by the IRS not only on shareholders’ eventual sales of the securities but also

Meaning

Mutual funds are beneficial for investors who wish to diversify, but they expose shareholders to additional taxation :
1. Through taxes on eventual sales of securities, this tax is collected by IRS
2. Through taxes on dividend earned by securities that hold the fund, (we don't know who collects this tax, it may be IRS or other body)

Error Analysis

Parallelism Error : Not only X but also Y X= are taxes on......., Y = on reinvested dividend., these two statement are not parallel.

POE

A) not only are taxes on shareholders’ eventual sales of the securities collected by the IRS, but also on- as explained in error analysis
B) collected by the IRS are taxes not only on shareholders’ eventual sales of the securities, but also on- correct choice, this states both taxes are collected by IR. Parallelism error is corrected
C) taxes not only on shareholders’ eventual sales of the securities are collected by the IRS but also- Misses "on" after But also
D) not only taxes on shareholders’ eventual sales of the securities are collected by the IRS, but also on - Not parallel Not only "Taxes" but also "On"
E) taxes are collected by the IRS not only on shareholders’ eventual sales of the securities but also- Same as C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
Schools: McCombs '16
Send PM
Mutual funds, though helpful for personal investors who wish to diversify their portfolios, expose shareholders to additional taxation: not only are taxes on shareholders’ eventual sales of the securities collected by the IRS, but also on reinvested dividend stakes earned by the securities held by the fund itself.

A) not only are taxes on shareholders’ eventual sales of the securities collected by the IRS, but also on
B) collected by the IRS are taxes not only on shareholders’ eventual sales of the securities, but also on
C) taxes not only on shareholders’ eventual sales of the securities are collected by the IRS but also
D) not only taxes on shareholders’ eventual sales of the securities are collected by the IRS, but also on
E) taxes are collected by the IRS not only on shareholders’ eventual sales of the securities but also

As per meaning of underlined sentences go---taxes are collected not only on X but also on Y
a&d are out
b-correct parallelism maintained
c- parallelism error also comparison is wrong
e-parallelism error not only on X but also Y
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM

A) not only are taxes on shareholders’ eventual sales of the securities collected by the IRS, but also on - Parallelism issue
C) taxes not only on shareholders’ eventual sales of the securities are collected by the IRS but also - Idom issue
D) not only taxes on shareholders’ eventual sales of the securities are collected by the IRS, but also on - Idom issue
E) taxes are collected by the IRS not only on shareholders’ eventual sales of the securities but also - Idom issue
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
GMAT Date: 01-08-2015
Send PM
hey guys,

I try to focus on the meaning:

A) not only are taxes on shareholders’ eventual sales of the securities collected by the IRS, but also on ->it sounds awkward. not only are texas, but also are ... should better if we use this construction. but we can not, so I rule a out.
B) collected by the IRS are taxes not only on shareholders’ eventual sales of the securities, but also on -> I hold this one. it sounds wordy, but it does not destory the meaning. the taxes are collected by the IRS. these taxes are not only on X but also on Y
C) taxes not only on shareholders’ eventual sales of the securities are collected by the IRS but also -> taxes ... are collected by the irs, but also.. sounds awkward. i think the meaning is also wrong. both taxes are collected by the irs, not only the taxes on the eventual sales of securities.
D) not only taxes on shareholders’ eventual sales of the securities are collected by the IRS, but also on -> not only taxes.. but also taxes.../ the meaning is wrong, we want to express that 2 different kind of taxes are collected by the IRS.
E) taxes are collected by the IRS not only on shareholders’ eventual sales of the securities but also -> taxes are collected by the IRS -> ok! not only on X, -> ok! but also ... -> the "on" misses.

I'm not satisfied with B, but it is the only answer I got left.

I take B!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
taxes are collected not only X but also on Y..............is the key intention here.
here the phrases after idiom parts not only and but also must be parallel and comparable.

not only are taxes on shareholders’ eventual sales of the securities collected by the IRS,
    but also on reinvested dividend stakes earned by the securities held by the fund itself.

boldened portions on given sentence are not parallel. So A is incorrect.

B) collected by the IRS are taxes
    not only on shareholders’ eventual sales of the securities,
    but also on reinvested dividend stakes earned by the securities held by the fund itself
This is parallel and is correct.

C) taxes
    not only on shareholders’ eventual sales of the securities are collected by the IRS
    but also reinvested dividend stakes earned by the securities held by the fund itself.
bold portions are not parallel.

D)
    not only taxes on shareholders’ eventual sales of the securities are collected by the IRS,
    but also on reinvested dividend stakes earned by the securities held by the fund itself

E) taxes are collected by the IRS
    not only on shareholders’ eventual sales of the securities
    but also reinvested dividend stakes earned by the securities held by the fund itself
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
For those looking for a quick fix: There is only one thumb rule to look for in correlative conjunction parallelism in GMAT. You must only ensure whatever structure is on the right of the first arm of the pair is also there on the right side of the other arm. i.e., not only on … but also on; not only because… but also because; not only by ---- but also by; both Tom and Dick and so on.

As per the above rule, Only B fits in, and all others can be rejected without hesitation.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [3]
Given Kudos: 59
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE:General Management (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Re: Mutual funds, though helpful for personal investors who wish to [#permalink]
Kudos

Not only on ... but also on ... parallelism structure are chosen to be considered here.

Left only B that satisfies the structure above.

B correct.

(A) not only are taxes on shareholders’ eventual sales of the securities collected by the IRS, but also on
(B) collected by the IRS are taxes not only on shareholders’ eventual sales of the securities, but also on --- Correct
(C) taxes not only on shareholders’ eventual sales of the securities are collected by the IRS but also
(D) not only taxes on shareholders’ eventual sales of the securities are collected by the IRS, but also on
(E) taxes are collected by the IRS not only on shareholders’ eventual sales of the securities but also
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
Send PM
This question is very hard. It is not easily apparent what we need to be paying attention to in these sentences. This question seems to be arranged around the ‘not only…but also’ structure.
Looking at that, B is clearly the right answer, as it is the only one that maintains parallelism.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Send PM
I first did the 3/2 splits. it was based on the (not only..on..but also on) split.

So , I came down to these 3 options A,B and D.

I was debating between A and B.

I felt that A was correct compared to B as it focuses on the action rather the doer of the action. Please help me to correct my understanding on this point.

Could someone help to explain why B is a better option than A? thanks.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts