Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:41 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618877 [18]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618877 [1]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Re: Rounding Rules on the GMAT: Slip to the Side and Look for a Five! [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
KARISHMA315 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
FROM Veritas Prep Blog: Rounding Rules on the GMAT: Slip to the Side and Look for a Five!

The famous rounding song by Joe Crone is pretty much all you need to solve the trickiest of rounding questions on GMAT:

You just slip to the side, and you look for a five.

Well if the number that you see is a five or more,

You gotta round up now, that’s for sure.

If the number that you see is a four or less,

You gotta round down to avoid a mess.

To put it in our own words, when we round a decimal, we drop the extra decimal places and apply certain rules:

-          If the first dropped digit is 5 or greater, we round up the last digit that we keep.

-          If the first dropped digit is 4 or smaller, we keep the last digit that we keep, the same.

For Example, we need to round the following decimals to two digits after decimal:

(a) 3.857

We drop 7. Since 7 is ‘5 or greater’, we are left with 3.86

(b) 12.983

We drop 3. Since 3 is ‘4 or smaller’, we are left with 12.98

(c) 26.75463

We drop 463. Since 4 is ‘4 or smaller’, we are left with 26.75

(d) 8.9675

We drop 75. Since 7 is ‘5 or greater’, we are left with 8.97

Note example (c) carefully:

When we round 26.75463 to two decimal places, we do not start rounding from the rightmost digit i.e. this is incorrect: 26.75463 becomes 26.7546 which becomes 26.755 which further becomes 26.76 – this is not correct. .00463 is less than .005 and hence should be ignored. You only need to worry about the digit right next to the digit you are keeping. Just slip to the side, and look for a five!

A logical question arises: what happens when we have, say, 2.5 and we need to round it to the nearest integer? 2.5 is midway between 2 and 3. In that case, why do we round the number up, as the rule suggests? Note that a 2.5 is a tie and we have many tie breaking rules that can be used. They are ‘Round half to odd’, ‘Round half to even’, ‘Round up’, ‘Round down’, ‘Round towards 0’, ‘Round away from 0’ etc. We don’t need to worry about all these since GMAT uses only Round up i.e. 2.5 will be rounded up to 3.

Let’s take a look at a question now which uses these fundamentals.

Question: The exact cost price to make each unit of a widget is $7.6xy7, where x and y represent single digits. What is the value of y?

Statement 1: When the cost is rounded to the nearest cent, it becomes $7.65.

Statement 2: When the cost is rounded to the nearest tenth of a cent, it becomes $7.65.

Solution: The question is based on rounding. We need to figure out the value of y given some rounding scenarios. Let’s look at them one by one.

Statement 1: When the cost is rounded to the nearest cent, it becomes $7.65.

When rounded to the nearest cent, the cost becomes 7 dollars and 65 cents. 6xy7 cents got rounded to 65 cents. When will .6xy7 get rounded to .65? When .6xy7 lies anywhere in the range .6457 to .6547. Note that in all these cases, when you round the number to 2 digits, it will become .65.

Say price is 7.6468. We need to drop 68 but since 6 is ‘5 or greater’, 4 gets rounded up to 5.

Similarly, say the price is 7.6543. We need to drop 43. Since 4 is ‘4 or smaller’, 5 stays as it is.

So x and y can take various different values. This statement alone is not sufficient.

Statement 2: When the cost is rounded to the nearest tenth of a cent, it becomes $7.65

Now the cost is rounded to the tenth of a cent which means 3 places after the decimal. But the cost is given to us as $7.65. Since we need 3 places, the cost must be $7.650 (which will be written as $7.65)

When will 7.6xy7 get rounded to 7.650? Now this is the tricky part of the question – from 7.6xy7, you need to drop the 7 and round up y. When you do that, you get 7.650. This means 7.6xy7 must have been 7.6497. Only in this case, when we drop the 7, we round up the 9 to make 10, carry the 1 over to 4 and make it 5. This is the only way to get 7.650 on rounding 7.6xy7 to the tenth of a cent. Hence x must be 4 and y must be 9. This statement alone is sufficient to answer the question.

Answer (B)

Hope you see that a few simple rules can make rounding questions quite easy.

Karishma, a Computer Engineer with a keen interest in alternative Mathematical approaches, has mentored students in the continents of Asia, Europe and North America. She teaches the GMAT for Veritas Prep and regularly participates in content development projects such as this blog!
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB

Hi Bunuel can you please give a simpler explanation to this

The question in the article is discussed here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-exact-co ... 96044.html

Rounding is simplifying a number to a certain place value. To round the decimal drop the extra decimal places, and if the first dropped digit is 5 or greater, ROUND UP the last digit that you keep. If the first dropped digit is 4 or smaller, ROUND DOWN (keep the same) the last digit that you keep.

Example:
5.3485 rounded to the nearest tenth = 5.3, since the dropped 4 is less than 5.
5.3485 rounded to the nearest hundredth = 5.35, since the dropped 8 is greater than 5.
5.3485 rounded to the nearest thousandth = 5.349, since the dropped 5 is equal to 5.

So, according to the above 8.35y rounded to the nearest tenth will be 8.4 irrespective of the value of y.

For mote on this check the following posts:
Math: Number Theory
Rounding Rules on the GMAT: Slip to the Side and Look for a Five!

3. Fractions, Decimals, Ratios and Proportions

For more:
ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT ! ! !
Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread

Hope it helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Rounding Rules on the GMAT: Slip to the Side and Look for a Five! [#permalink]
Hi,
Can someone please explain in the above explanation for statement 2, how the tenth of a cent means 3 places after the decimal point? Thanks a lot!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE:Information Technology (Journalism and Publishing)
Send PM
Hi

Can some one please elaborate on the statement 2 - one tenth of a cent is 1/10 (1) = 0.1. Why have 3 decimal places been considered?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [2]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 640 Q41 V37
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
PM20 wrote:
Hi

Can some one please elaborate on the statement 2 - one tenth of a cent is 1/10 (1) = 0.1. Why have 3 decimal places been considered?

Some time has already passed, but just to conclude the thread here:

You are right: 1/10 of a cent = 0.1 of a cent.

But the number in the inital problem is stated in Dollar: $7.6xy7

In this case it is 7$ and then after the decimal 60cent + x cent + y 1/10th cent + 7*1/100.

I hope it is clear not that the third number after the decimal point is 1/10th of a cent (or 1 / 1000th of 1 dollar).
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92904 posts