Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:22 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618937 [56]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [15]
Given Kudos: 68
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: LBS
GPA: 3.82
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [10]
Given Kudos: 456
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE:General Management (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618937 [3]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Re: What is the greatest possible number of points at which 11 circles wit [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

Math Revolution and GMAT Club Contest Starts!

QUESTION #14:

What is the greatest possible number of points at which 11 circles with different radii intersected one another?

A. 45
B. 60
C. 85
D. 90
E. 110

Check conditions below:

Math Revolution and GMAT Club Contest

The Contest Starts November 28th in Quant Forum

We are happy to announce a Math Revolution and GMAT Club Contest

For the following four (!) weekends we'll be publishing 4 FRESH math questions per weekend (2 on Saturday and 2 on Sunday).

To participate, you will have to reply with your best answer/solution to the new questions that will be posted on Saturday and Sunday at 9 AM Pacific.
Then a week later, the forum moderator will be selecting 2 winners who provided most correct answers to the questions, along with best solutions. Those winners will get 6-months access to GMAT Club Tests.

PLUS! Based on the answers and solutions for all the questions published during the project ONE user will be awarded with ONE Grand prize:

PS + DS course with 502 videos that is worth $299!

All announcements and winnings are final and no whining :-) GMAT Club reserves the rights to modify the terms of this offer at any time.

NOTE: Test Prep Experts and Tutors are asked not to participate. We would like to have the members maximize their learning and problem solving process.

Thank you!

Similar questions:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/which-of-the ... 92274.html (triangle)
https://gmatclub.com/forum/which-of-the ... 38952.html (parallelogram)
https://gmatclub.com/forum/which-of-the ... 14013.html (square)
https://gmatclub.com/forum/what-is-the- ... 97855.html (10 circles)
https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmatbusters- ... 16475.html (6 circles)
https://gmatclub.com/forum/what-is-the- ... 10362.html (11 circles)
https://gmatclub.com/forum/which-of-the ... 80597.html (two parallel lines)

Hope it helps.
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [8]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: What is the greatest possible number of points at which 11 circles wit [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Answer is E i.e 110

Two circles can intersect at maximum 2 points.

Three circles can intersect at maximum 6 points..

Because we select 2 circles from 3 and each two circles can intersect at maximum 2 points

2\(c^3_2\) ... Three circles can intersect at 6 points

So 11 circles can intersect at maximum

\(2c^{11}_2\) ... 2 * 11 * 5 = 110
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [3]
Given Kudos: 59
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
1st Circle doesn't intersect itself - 2*(1-1)=0 points
2nd Circle intersects 1st at 2*(2-1)=2 Points
3rd Circle intersect 2nd and 3rd at 2*(3-1)=4 Points
4th Circle intersects other Circles at 2*(4-1)=6 points
11th circle intersects other circles at 2*(11-1)=20 points

Therefore total no of points = 2 + 4 + 6 + ... + 20
\(Sum = 10/2 * (20+2) = 5*22 =110\)

Answer is E
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [2]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Kudos
Answer is E -> 110.

2 circle intersects at 2 points, 3 circles intersect at 4 points, 4 circles intersect at 6 points, 5 circles at 8 points, etc., Hence max # of points will be the result of addition of these points - as you can draw a circle anyway you want to ensure there are distinct points with each of these circle's intersection.

S = 2+4+6+... +20 (n=10) as there are 11 circles
S = (a1+an)/2*n = (2+20)/2*10 = 110
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4547 [9]
Given Kudos: 1228
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Given: Number of circles with different radii = 11

We can draw a few circles to obtain the below results

For 2 circles, max number of points of intersection = 2 = 2 * 1
For 3 circles, max number of points of intersection = 6 = 3 * 2
For 4 circles, max number of points of intersection = 12 = 4 * 3
We can observe a pattern here.

For n circles with different radii, max number of points of intersection can be deduced from the above results as n * (n-1).

Therefore, for 11 circles with different radii, max number of points of intersection = 11 * 10 = 110

Answer: E
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
The answer is E
By drawing circles and deducing
2 circles intersect at 2 points(1x2)
3 circles intersect at 6 points(2x3)
4 circles intersect at 12 points(3x4)
11 circles intersect at 10x11=110 points
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos