Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:08 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2754 [6]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4544 [1]
Given Kudos: 1228
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3801 [0]
Given Kudos: 182
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMATClub
Own Kudos [?]: 8831 [1]
Given Kudos: 3034
GRE 1: Q168 V154
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Re: Many aspects of coral reefs remain puzzling to scientists. One mystery [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply

+1 kudos to the posts containing answer explanations of all questions

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 221 [2]
Given Kudos: 211
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Re: Many aspects of coral reefs remain puzzling to scientists. One mystery [#permalink]
Kudos
Nevernevergiveup wrote:
1. It can be inferred from the passage that Darwin

A. believed that reefs became atolls through the sinking of volcanoes.
B. should have expanded his studies of reefs to include those found at atolls
C. theorized that each reef was formed by an entirely different process.
D. is less persuasive on the topic of reef formation in light of recent discoveries
E. was more interested in algae and coral than in other organisms living at reefs

It is given that :
Quote:
Although Darwin's view of the transformation is considered partially correct, some scientists feel that the creation of reef formations has more to do with the rise in sea level that occurred at the end of the last Ice Age than with a gradual submergence of the volcanic islands to which fringing reefs were originally attached,

Here two views of transformation are given of which Darwin's view is the second one.
And it is also given that-
Quote:
However, recent drillings at one atoll have revealed a substantial underlayer of volcanic rock, which suggests that Darwin's explanation may be largely correct

Using these both comments,answer A.
Ans 1:A
2. The passage does NOT discuss the relationship between

Quote:
A. algal photosynthesis and high oxygen content -Scientists also know that, because of algal photosynthesis, the reef environment is oxygen-rich
B. Darwin's views and evidence supplied by recent research -Although Darwin's view of the transformation is considered partially correct, some scientists feel that the creation of reef formations has more to do with the rise in sea level that occurred at the end of the last Ice Age than with a gradual submergence of the volcanic islands to which fringing reefs were originally attached,
C. volcanic rock and the life forms found at reefs -Not discussed
D. sea salt and calcium carbonate-secreting and depositing calcium carbonate, which reacts with sea salt to form a hard limestone underlayer
E. wave action and the renewal of reefs-All of this accounts for the amazing renewability of coral reefs despite the erosion caused by waves.

My annotations in blue.
Ans 2:C
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13957 posts