Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 01:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2003, 08:20
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hii
i am getting poor scores because of RC
i have done all RC from OG and kaplan
now from where do i get RC to practise from
i think repeating the same RC wont help
actually i take a lot of time with RC that i eventually fall short of time in case of SC and CR (i am comfortable with them)
but still i am getting 25 in PR
70%wrong in RC
90%correct in CR AND SC
i will be taking GMAT after a month
but i get lost while practising RC .infact i have stopped practising RC since i am not improving in it.instead i am practising other sections
is it possible for me to improve in a short time
if yes then how
please let me know
thanks
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2003, 08:20
I had a similar problem a couple of years ago the first time I took the GMAT. RC was defiitely my weak area.

When I took the Princeton Review class prior to my first GMAT, the instructor told me not to read the passage, but to go to the question and then skim to find the answer. This strategy is totally wrong! RC tests your comprehension, the ability to understand and put information together from different parts of the passage, not just to look up answers in the text.

What really helped me was to read the RC passage with the intent of the author in mind. I would think to myself, "what was the author's purpose for including this paragraph?" I would also take brief notes on each paragraph, which helped me understand the topic better as well as the overall theme. I believe I took about 3-4 minutes throughly reading each passage.

Only after I had read the entire passage would I even read the first question. This is very important as you don't want the question to distract you during your initial reading.

Approach answering the questions by a process of elimination. The answer choices may be reworded or stated in a different way, so make sure you understand the meaning of each answer before eliminating it. Also, pay attention to the verbs used in the answer choices, making sure they fit the theme of the passage. For example, you should be able to eliminate answers to purpose questions just by the first word (argue vs. discuss vs. analyze vs. refute vs. propose, etc...).
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2003, 11:18
hota wrote:
I had a similar problem a couple of years ago the first time I took the GMAT. RC was defiitely my weak area.

When I took the Princeton Review class prior to my first GMAT, the instructor told me not to read the passage, but to go to the question and then skim to find the answer. This strategy is totally wrong! RC tests your comprehension, the ability to understand and put information together from different parts of the passage, not just to look up answers in the text.

What really helped me was to read the RC passage with the intent of the author in mind. I would think to myself, "what was the author's purpose for including this paragraph?" I would also take brief notes on each paragraph, which helped me understand the topic better as well as the overall theme. I believe I took about 3-4 minutes throughly reading each passage.

Only after I had read the entire passage would I even read the first question. This is very important as you don't want the question to distract you during your initial reading.

Approach answering the questions by a process of elimination. The answer choices may be reworded or stated in a different way, so make sure you understand the meaning of each answer before eliminating it. Also, pay attention to the verbs used in the answer choices, making sure they fit the theme of the passage. For example, you should be able to eliminate answers to purpose questions just by the first word (argue vs. discuss vs. analyze vs. refute vs. propose, etc...).

Hi hota
Great comment about RC.............
I think it is very helpful for tackling RC in GMAT test............
Chih-Hao
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2003, 11:48
I followed the following strategy for RC and found that it really helped me focus on the passage and understand it.

1. Read the first paragraph.
2. Write one sentence summaraizing the point of the first paragraph.
3. Repeat steps 1&2 for each paragraph.
4. Be sure to note if there is a shift in the passage. For example, if the passage describes a traditional view of something, but then starts discussing an alternative.

When you finish, you'll end up with an outline of the passage and a very clear idea of where things are in the passage, making it faster for you to find answers. Actually, after making this outline, I found that I really didn't even need to refer to the outline when I went to look for answers--- I already knew where to look in the passage because the process of making the outline helped me truly understand the passage and its structure the first time around.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2003, 10:39
thxs a lot for ur valuable comments
Intern
Intern

RC Help [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2003, 20:31
AD,

There are a few things which I found helpful:

1: Read the first para carefully and get 'oriented'. Get a good feel for topic, scope, direction and intention of passage. The jump into the rest of the para. If you are comfortable with the first, then the rest are usaully easy to comprehend.

2: After looking at OG explanations, I realized that in many questions its just a matter of skimming the passage for the right answer. Look for facts that you know are mentioned in the passage. Dont guess.

3: For inference questions, ans is usually the one which cant be disputed. You need to ask youself if you can really defend your ans.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2003, 08:27
thxs skul
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2003, 23:10
AD
if u are done with all RC passages that you had, try this site. It has Lsat RC & CR questions... tougher than OG.

http://www.studa.com/newexam/list.asp?boardid=174

Use the strategies that other members have mentioned on these sample questions. i am sure u will improve.
best of luck
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2003, 23:12
thxs vicky
Intern
Intern

To vicky [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2003, 18:39
Where to get the answer after we try the questions found at

http://www.studa.com/newexam/list.asp?boardid=174
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2003, 05:52
I know that the answers are in the posts titled "TEST # KEY " where # stands for the test number.

But where to we get the explanations?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: RC -please help [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2009, 08:39
Does reading National Geographic , Science Magazine and The Economist improve your score on RC ? Do you have any suggestions?

Please give kudos if you enjoy the explanations that I have given. Thanks :)

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2231

Kudos [?]: 8349 [0], given: 3645

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: RC -please help [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2009, 09:45
Expert's post
Here are my suggestions: GMAT Fiction

Also, see these posts:
1. how-to-improve-cr-rc-59140.html
2. new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
3. 720-q42-v47-how-to-improve-verbal-tips-50635.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: RC -please help   [#permalink] 13 Jun 2009, 09:45

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap