Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Nov 2014, 21:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Toronto - Rotman

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Toronto - Rotman [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2006, 13:46
Just submitted my app for Rotman, full time, R1.
I was wondering if there are any Canadians on these forums? or anyone applying to Canadian schools...

This was my first complete app. I will now work on NYU (Dec 01) and Chicago (Jan 10). I truely regret not making the R1 deadline for these schools but I definitely needed the extra time.

Bad thing about this is that I may have to put down a deposit for Toronto before I hear back from Chicago or NYU... that's the price I pay I guess..

I'm also considering Cornell now... essays seem to be pretty short so I will see if I can make some time for it.

Cheers
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 432 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2006, 14:39
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2006, 14:47
lol... pelihu.

I guess the stress of applications have gotten to you too! just like Ryhme... you are gonna start counting the minutes and seconds to your deadline..

See you in R2!!
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2007, 12:34
Are there seriously no Canadians on this board?

And no one going to Canada for an MBA?

Anyone even heard of Toronto?

I just had my first interview today with Rotman. the Adcom lady was very nice and friendly. We talked for about 45 mins. She also told me that you only get 1 month to put down a deposit after an acceptance. Looks like I will probably have to pay up while waiting for replies from US schools :?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2007, 13:19
Hey fluffydot,
I am applying to Rotman as well. I have submitted R2 apps to Kellogg and Chicago (in a few hours) and am probably going to apply to Rotman and Ivey as well. I actually had the same concern as you regarding the deposit. It looks like I will hear by mid-March for Rotman R2 and then have a month to put a deposit. That will work because we hear from Kellogg and Chicago by the end of March.

Do you know how much the deposit is for Rotman? If I stay in Canada I would rather go to Ivey and they don't tell you anything until June or July because of they start in October. Why do Ivey and Queens have to make things difficult for everyone? I guess I would lose that deposit anyway.
How have your other apps gone?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2007, 13:24
So how are the career prospects from a canadian school?

I am interested in Canadian schools, but the only thing I have heard about them is from Business Week International rankings...

I am worried of the salary coming out of Canadian schools,
the place where I will end up working - 40% tax in Canada!!

etc..

any information or a good place to get more for Canadian MBA graduates?

Thanks a liot!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2007, 13:44
I don't really know of any good sites for information on Canadian schools. Canadian Business magazine does a pretty week review of all of the schools but that's all I know.
I think that the salaries coming out are less because there are fewer opporunities in the high paying industries. However, there are still some opportunities. It's just that the number gets skewed by the majority that do not enter consulting or investment banking. It seems as though your options are fairly limited to working in Canada after you graduate unless you show some serious initiative to network with a big international firm.
As for the 40% tax...it's true...but we have never known any different and ignaorance is bliss... Seriously, there are positives of living in Canada but if you are strictly looking at income opporunity then it probably isn't the best place to do your MBA.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 437 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2007, 21:51
There is some coverage of Toronto here:

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=13627
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2007, 10:44
Hey Cappy, it's good to know that there is at least 1 other person in Canada...

The deposit for Rotaman is $1500 about the same for most schools (in US)
I just submitted Chicago today as well. Good luck to us both!

I also just checked with cornell and it turns out that they only give 3 weeks for a deposit too! notifcation comes out in March.

As for canadian MBAs, I think it makes the most sense only if you plan on working in Canada immediately afterwards. If you are planning to work in the US, any top 20 US school will get you more recognition in a US firm.

That being said, I am highly interested in working in Asia (Hong Kong/China) post MBA. But no one has been able to tell me whether there is a huge advantage in a US MBA over Canadian one when working in Asia.

Any thoughts on this Hjort?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2007, 14:29
Among Canadian schools, IVEY would be the better known choice in HK since they have a campus there. INSEAD has a campus in Singapore so it is also somewhat known there.
To be honest with you, Asians only know the few traditional schools such as Cambridge/Oxford/Harvard/Yale. If you want to work in Asia, those are the better recognized schools.
To be honest with you, a friend of mine in Japan who graduated from LBS and Cambridge said to a friend that he did both degrees but the friend was only ecstatic at hearing the name Cambridge although it is less known within the business world.

Best Regards,

Paul

SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 2

[#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2007, 18:23
Hey - I think we should definitely start a Canadian schools section - what do you think Hjort?

Wait....I looked, and you just did!

thanks, Hjort!

Everyone, go here: http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=106
  [#permalink] 10 Jan 2007, 18:23