Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 08:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

torturing myself all over again

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton '15, CBS '15
GMAT Date: 06-30-2012
GPA: 3.7
WE: Accounting (Insurance)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 10

torturing myself all over again [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2011, 11:03
I took the gmat in 2004. Needed a mere 500 to gain acceptance in a dual undergrad/masters program for my university. I was given two weeks notice of this... and my preparation consisted of the two practice exams offered by the test makers ... needless to say I did a stellar 490! None the less, I still got into the program with my gpa 3.9.

Here I am in 2011, a new job as a VP at a bank and was offered the opportunity to get my MBA. As I am located in NYC my school choices will be relatively narrow and in order for the MBA to actually impact my career it will need to be a Top 15 school. So the schools I will be applying to will be: Columbia, Wharton, Harvard (just because), and NYU (safety school).

I have 6 years of experience and have an undergraduate degree in Accounting from a second tier private school. In addition, I have a masters degree in accounting from the same school.

So here I am, re-taking the GMAT, hoping for a 700... and most importantly doing it right this time around. I am excited to say the least!

Reward wisdom with kudos

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: torturing myself all over again [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2011, 09:00
Good luck on your GMAT test! When are you thinking of taking it?
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2137

Kudos [?]: 7332 [0], given: 3619

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: torturing myself all over again [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2011, 21:20
Expert's post
Good Luck - you will have to pull off a 650+ to get on the board for those schools.
Your work experience, GPA, and maturity (based on the tone of your post) are all up there. Don't let GMAT scare you - it should be a check mark. You applying for 2013 acceptance or trying to get in this year?

Fully employed program or Full time?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton '15, CBS '15
GMAT Date: 06-30-2012
WE: Accounting (Insurance)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 10

Re: torturing myself all over again [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2011, 12:36
I will take the exam in May (given that I am doing well on the practice exams) and apply in December. I want to ensure that I have plenty of time with essays as well as getting my recommendations on board.

Currently, I am going through the Kaplan book. My diagnostic test from MBA.com yielded a 530 before any studying... this is higher than my actual score 5 years ago.

As far as the program, I am debating between a full time or an EMBA. I suppose I need to speak to some of the schools and figure out where I would fit best.

Reward wisdom with kudos

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2137

Kudos [?]: 7332 [0], given: 3619

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: torturing myself all over again [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2011, 21:24
Expert's post
You have a number of questions here ....

One suggestion - don't wait too long to take your test. I would suggest that you take it 3-4 months after you started preparing. That works best with the routine and also your memory will be fresher and would yield a much better result. It is probably more effort and more intense but I would aim for that.

Also, a new book just came out from mgmat - GMAT roadmap. I have reviewed it and it is a great collection of study tips and routines that you probably have forgotten about (sounds like you've been out of undergrad for a while).

Emba vs MBA is a pretty easy choice - EMBA wins hands down in most cases. It is usually paid by the employer and you usually don't take time off for school (thus not losing any income). You also have a completely different mix of students that are more on par with you (though any top program will have a great student mix, they may be in a slightly different stage in their lives)

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 13

Re: torturing myself all over again [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2011, 14:33
wallstreetbarbie wrote:
I will take the exam in May (given that I am doing well on the practice exams) and apply in December. I want to ensure that I have plenty of time with essays as well as getting my recommendations on board.

Currently, I am going through the Kaplan book. My diagnostic test from MBA.com yielded a 530 before any studying... this is higher than my actual score 5 years ago.

As far as the program, I am debating between a full time or an EMBA. I suppose I need to speak to some of the schools and figure out where I would fit best.

Best of luck with your journey. You have to the right place for a network of supportive people that have all gone through the same torment of preparing for the GMAT. I will say that raising your score from 530 to 700 will take a fair amount of work, so you should be prepared for that. The GMAT is a beast, but it is a beatable beast - you just have to know how to tackle it.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: Q V
WE: Account Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 4

Re: torturing myself all over again [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2011, 10:36
Good luck on your endeavors!

DETERMINED TO BREAK 700!!!

Re: torturing myself all over again   [#permalink] 08 Dec 2011, 10:36