Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 18:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Total 770 but expecting horrible IR score

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V42
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [3] , given: 1

Total 770 but expecting horrible IR score [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2012, 20:26
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

I took the GMAT on 16th June,2012 in the new format. I got a 770/800 BUT I screwed up my IR big tym. I'm pretty sure that I won't get more than 2/3 correct out of the 12 questions and hence I'm expecting a very low IR score. People have told me that since IR is a new section, its score won't matter much. But what if it's a devastating score? Will my 770 go in vain?

Please give your views.Thanks.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Affiliations: UWC
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 276 [0], given: 100

Reviews Badge
Re: Total 770 but expecting horrible IR score [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2012, 21:22
Good question; I would like to know about this too considering my IR proficiency is pretty horrible at the moment...
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GPA: 3.3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 11

Re: Total 770 but expecting horrible IR score [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2012, 22:15
parthdalmia wrote:
Hi,

I took the GMAT on 16th June,2012 in the new format. I got a 770/800 BUT I screwed up my IR big tym. I'm pretty sure that I won't get more than 2/3 correct out of the 12 questions and hence I'm expecting a very low IR score. People have told me that since IR is a new section, its score won't matter much. But what if it's a devastating score? Will my 770 go in vain?

Please give your views.Thanks.

Congrats for the great score. Is the IR section really that difficult? How exhausted did you feel after completing it?
Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Followers: 188

Kudos [?]: 156 [4] , given: 4

Re: Total 770 but expecting horrible IR score [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2012, 12:28
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
First of all, congrats on the 770!! You actually tied my score. Looks like I need to retake now :wink:

As for the IR score, the best advice I can give you is don't worry about it!

If you got 2/3 correct, you can expect a score somewhere in the 5–7 (out of 8) range. Why the variability? While IR is not computer adaptive, there is some adjustment in the score based on difficulty of the questions you see. It's possible that you just happened to see some of the more difficult IR questions, in which case there will be some forgiveness in your score.

But really, it does not matter if your IR is "horrible". For starters, Business Schools don't yet know what a "good" or "bad" score actually is. Until they have several years of data and can see whether IR scores actually correlate with B-School performance, they're just not going to care that much. Especially not if you rocked the main test with a 770. There is a correlation between your out-of-800 score and your B-School performance, so that's what they're going to care about.

So shake it off, congratulate yourself for being done with the GMAT, and move on to the rest of your application!

For those of you who still need to test, take a look at

http://www.manhattangmat.com/ir.cfm

for some good IR info.

Cheers,
Mark

Mark Sullivan | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Seattle, WA

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Re: Total 770 but expecting horrible IR score [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2012, 21:10
Thanks Mark. Your response has really put me at ease now. :-D

By the way, I've been thinking of applying for Masters in Management/Finance in some universities such as HEC Paris,Duke,LBS etc after 1 year work-ex. These programmes require 0-1 yr work experience. Can you please tell me how good these programmes are? Or should I just aim for the 2-yr MBA programmes after 4-yrs of work-ex ?

Thanks. :)
Current Student

Reviews Badge
Re: Total 770 but expecting horrible IR score [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2012, 21:36
MarkSullivan wrote:
First of all, congrats on the 770!! You actually tied my score. Looks like I need to retake now :wink:

As for the IR score, the best advice I can give you is don't worry about it!

If you got 2/3 correct, you can expect a score somewhere in the 5–7 (out of 8) range. Why the variability? While IR is not computer adaptive, there is some adjustment in the score based on difficulty of the questions you see. It's possible that you just happened to see some of the more difficult IR questions, in which case there will be some forgiveness in your score.

But really, it does not matter if your IR is "horrible". For starters, Business Schools don't yet know what a "good" or "bad" score actually is. Until they have several years of data and can see whether IR scores actually correlate with B-School performance, they're just not going to care that much. Especially not if you rocked the main test with a 770. There is a correlation between your out-of-800 score and your B-School performance, so that's what they're going to care about.

So shake it off, congratulate yourself for being done with the GMAT, and move on to the rest of your application!

For those of you who still need to test, take a look at

http://www.manhattangmat.com/ir.cfm

for some good IR info.

Cheers,
Mark

Hey Mark, thanks a lot. Knowing this makes me feel a lot better. I got pretty demoralized after taking my MGMAT CAT with IR after only getting two questions right. I found that the MGMAT IR is sooo much more tougher than the OG13 IR questions. I've spent a total of three hours in the past two days on practising IR. I guess I'm going to take your advice and focus on the main QV now.
Intern
Intern

Re: Total 770 but expecting horrible IR score [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2012, 21:40
Agree with Macjas. The questions I got on GMAT seemed much tougher than the ones I came across in 13th OG.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GC Meter: A.W.E.S.O.M.E
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 239

Reviews Badge
Re: Total 770 but expecting horrible IR score [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2012, 22:47
Thanks for the clarification mark!

@parthdalmia why don't u post your gmat experience :)

You haven't failed, if you haven't given up!
---
bschooladmit
Visit my Blog www.bschooladmit.wordpress.com

Check out my other posts:
Bschool Deadlines 2013-2014 | Bschool Admission Events 2013 Start your GMAT Prep with Stacey Koprince | Get a head start in MBA finance

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 1

Re: Total 770 but expecting horrible IR score [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2012, 23:00
This post received
KUDOS
Hi asax,

Sorry for being late in sharing my GMAT experience :P Except for the IR section,the rest of the exam was pretty smooth. The difficulty level was moderate. I just found the IR section quite tough. I don't know if the questions will be as tough for everyone else as it was for me but I guess the time pressure will be there for sure. Solving 12 questions in 30 mins requires tremendous speed and accuracy. So I suggest that you don't rush through the IR questions but keep calm and try to get as many correct as possible. The argument essay was as usual very easy and I don't think that it requires much preparation. And in the Verbal section, CR consisted mostly of strengthen,weaken type questions. Overall, I think the GMAT hasn't changed except for the introduction of the IR section.

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

Premium Member
Re: Total 770 but expecting horrible IR score [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2012, 12:06
Hey Parth,

Congratulations!!!
Please can you share your prep details, as in your practice test scores, prep time, study tips/tricks used ...etc

Also, in IR did you see all four types of questions? Any particular question type which was repeating?

Thanks.
Current Student

Reviews Badge
Re: Total 770 but expecting horrible IR score [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2012, 17:25
yea I second Pal22, plese give us some more information about your experience with IR. Would be much appreciated...tnx
Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-14-2012
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 1

Re: Total 770 but expecting horrible IR score [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2012, 19:29
Did anyone take the Kaplan diagnostic test with the IR section? I just took it today, it wasn't terribly difficult, but i did guess on the last 2 parts because of time management-didn't know how to pace myself.

Can anyone offer a comparison of the real GMAT and Kaplan IR?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Total 770 but expecting horrible IR score [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2012, 21:58
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Guys,

Sorry for being so late in replying to your queries. Was really caught up with something.

In my mock tests, I started off with a 690. Then with each test my score got better. I generally used to score in the 730-750 range. I got a 700 on Kaplan(found it a bit more difficult compared to other prep tests) and I scored a 770 on the official GMAT prep test. I didn't use any special tricks for the exam. Just kept practising as much as possible.I guess one should complete the OG first of all and be comfortable with all the types of questions given there. For Verbal, I used Manhattan GMAT (for SC) and some other random sources (for CR and RC). For Quants, I guess you just need to be comfortable with all the fundamentals and formulae. Again, on should practice as many questions as possible to get comfortable with the formulae.

Coming to the IR section, in my case, there was a balanced mix of all the 4 types of questions. But I found the Multi-source Reasoning questions much more time-consuming than the others.

Hope this helps. :)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

Premium Member
Re: Total 770 but expecting horrible IR score [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2012, 11:07
Hey Parth,

By now you should have received your official score card. What is your IR score?

Please do update us.

Thanks.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Total 770 but expecting horrible IR score [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2012, 20:10
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

Yeah I've received my official score report. I've got a 6/8 in IR as was rightly predicted by Mark :-D
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Total 770 but expecting horrible IR score [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2012, 05:19
Wow a 770 and 6/8 in IR. That's an awesome score buddy! I think you should edit the subject of this thread now :wink:
Intern
Intern

Re: Total 770 but expecting horrible IR score [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2012, 05:24
Hehe..yeah..a 6/8 in IR was totally unexpected for me :-D
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
WE: Corporate Finance (Real Estate)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 5

Re: Total 770 but expecting horrible IR score [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2012, 10:59
My guess, the IR score isn't going to matter much if you're applying to schools within the next 1-2 years because admission commissions don't know what a "good" score really is. They need some data points to compare it to. However, 3-4 years down the road, they will most likely put a lot more weight on it when reviewing applications.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.71
WE: General Management (Health Care)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: Total 770 but expecting horrible IR score [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2012, 04:53
This post received
KUDOS
I met with one of Wharton's admission committee a few weeks ago and she said that Wharton is not going to put IR score into consideration for this year's application cycle.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GC Meter: A.W.E.S.O.M.E
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 239

Reviews Badge
Re: Total 770 but expecting horrible IR score [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2012, 07:13
Thanks for the info pascalchristian +1 to you!

Ha ha.. Impressive parthdalmia!! congrats and all the best for the admission rounds!

You haven't failed, if you haven't given up!
---
bschooladmit
Visit my Blog www.bschooladmit.wordpress.com

Check out my other posts:
Bschool Deadlines 2013-2014 | Bschool Admission Events 2013 Start your GMAT Prep with Stacey Koprince | Get a head start in MBA finance

Re: Total 770 but expecting horrible IR score   [#permalink] 16 Jul 2012, 07:13