Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 03:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Total Frustration 690 M50 V31 91%

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Total Frustration 690 M50 V31 91% [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2005, 14:21
Guys, just wrote my GMAT today, 690, M50, V31, 91%. I am really depressed, disappointed, and frustrated. I am that close to break the 700 mark but fell short, sigh, don’t know what to say >_<

From my writing, you can tell I am not a native speaker, and my V sux, that’s all I can say. I started with 3 SC, then a 75 lines RC. SC is similar to OG, but RC is longer, and more complicated. I know I lost the battle on RC. I had to rush thru 2 passages, without fully understand their meanings. Be honest, every time I see social issue RCs I will get headache. These RCs are long and boring, plus the names for these social theories and scholars are long and confusing. If I could nail down 2 more questions, I might be above 700, well, it is “ifâ€
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2005, 15:39
DLMD Man I feel your pain!!! A 690 is a GREAT SCORE but when I went to take the test I dreaded getting a score like that because it was on the cusp of a 700...just right there but not quite...MAN I FEEL YOUR FRUSTRATION!!! I'm not an expert or anything but I think you fall just below the median for the schools you are talking about applying to, so I don't know. I would say if you have a solid GPA, great work experience, and a good AWA and Toefl score I don't know if it is worth taking it again....depending on your timeline it might be more worthwhile for you to work on other parts of your application like community service etc. Again a 690 is a great score so I really don't know. I'm sure you can do significantly better but it may bot even be worth your time if everything else in your app. is in place.

"No! Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2005, 16:53
thanks for your reply, greenandwise. I just read your post, both of us are in the similar situation, did alrite on Q but chocked on V.

from you post, I defintely think your V score should be much higher than what you getting right now. Maybe that day was your bad day.

I aim to score above 700 when I took the test, I don't have exceptional work experience, so GMAT might be the only thing can boost my application. I am 25 now, worked in a brokerage for over 2 yrs after college (I had my college in Los Angeles), alrite GPA, 3.3. I don't see anything special on my application, unless they count oversea business experience. As you said, I am lower than the median, so guess got to work my as* off again and try to kill it next time.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 195 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2005, 20:00
Yes, I agree with greenandwise 690 IS a great score! I fact I had targeted myself at 680 when I prepared my test. I remember seeing the range of quite a few best schools starts from 670 or 680 so you are definitely in range. I'd say work on your other application materials, and when you get everything else done and feel you would like a boost to your GMAT score, you can take it again. What I believe about GMAT is this. It is important in the sense that if you don't have a good score, it is hard to get in to a good school. But if you have a decent score, like one that is above 680, the other things become more important. A good score is not equal to an automatic ticket to wherever you want to be.

Anyways, good luck with your application!
[/list]
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2005, 20:25
HongHu, thanks for your advise. I will start to prepare my application, hope I still can meet the deadline. Meanwhile, I will keep studying GMAT, like you said, be ready in case I have to take it again.

Be honest, I still feel bitter right now since I know I can crack the 700 mark. I already improved my verbal from low 20th to low 30th in 2 weeks. I believe If I give myself a little more time, i should join you guys in 700 club.

by the way, I have one question regarding application. For recommendations, is it required to have one from you manager? I don't think my manager will write me a good one since he just wants to keep us work as entry forever.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 195 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2005, 21:07
Well I'm thinking of PhD and I know that they probably have different focuses. For PhD academic capability might be more important so the recommendation letters may be better from your professors. However for MBA I would think it is good if you could get one from your work, if not the current work, one from the previous employer may be equally good. Just my opinoin, because I myself is a newbie in this aspect. :)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2005, 07:15
DLMD:
690 is a very good score, but I have to agree with you that there is a difference between 699(hypothetical score) and 700 also. The Elite 7&* club.
For the Reco part, I believe that they would prefer to have one Co-Worker atleast. Manager is preferred, but if he/she is an id*&#, then we can't get much out of them. I've this problem too now. My manager doesn't like me to go for this MBA, but rather to work at this same position through my entire career living at his mercy. I'm trying to get one reco from a colleague of mine, with whom I'm working now and to whom I reported 3 yrs back back.
At the same time, if you have time for the app submission, can you write again and try cracking that barrier of 700 club? Meanwhile, you can keep on working on your essays and the reco process. Personally, I don't think that you need any extra preparation in V other than getting the first 20 qns correct. Personally, even I'm planning to do that. I've only 640 with 7.5 yrs of experience and I'm targetting for Part time in UofM.
I am tossing this question because even I'm planning to take GMAT again before my final interview. You can always probably show the unofficial report to the interviewer and let them consider it.
Any comments/advises are welcome.

Aryan
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2005, 08:23
Aryan, I totally agree with what you said. I am preparing my app while studying GMAT now. I told myself no matter what, I have to crack the 700 mark, and I believe I will.

wish you good luck
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2005, 22:40
Wish you all the best for both aims: application and next test.

Cheers
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2006, 16:56
I seem to understand your pain!! Myself got a 690. Now wondering whether to retake, just for personal satisfaction!
  [#permalink] 24 Feb 2006, 16:56