Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 13:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Total GMAT Math - Jeff Sackmann

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Re: Total GMAT Math - Jeff Sackmann [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2011, 06:43
I wonder! Why do I need to purchase this one? I already have Manhattan Strategy Guide Sets.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Total GMAT Math - Jeff Sackmann [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2011, 01:01
Well I believe MGMAT guides are sufficient and there is plenty of knowledge available on GMAT club that you can utilise if you have the time.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Total GMAT Math - Jeff Sackmann [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2011, 08:25
Has anyone had any recent experience with his books-All the replies are from 2010-I am scoring a 42-43 in quant and need to bump up mu score to 51.I have not touched probability and combination problems and am looking for ways to improve my score.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton '15
WE: Sales (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 17

Re: Total GMAT Math - Jeff Sackmann [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2012, 20:54
any idea where I can buy this book in India?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 511 [0], given: 20

Re: Total GMAT Math - Jeff Sackmann [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2012, 17:57
I have MGMAT quant sets and also MGMAT Advanced quant, is there any value in getting Total GMAT Math, or his math sets? Considering to get the 1000 math challenge sets from him.

Please give KUDOS if you find that my post adds value! Thank you!! :)

Question Bank Extracted from the GMATPrep Software:
857 Verbal Questions: gmatprep-verbal-question-bank-130070.html
393 Quant PS Questions: gmatprep-ps-question-bank-130073.html
436 Quant DS Questions: gmatprep-ds-question-bank-130069.html

Manager
Manager
WE: Project Management (Other)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 16

Re: Total GMAT Math - Jeff Sackmann [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2012, 07:09
Anonym wrote:
I have MGMAT quant sets and also MGMAT Advanced quant, is there any value in getting Total GMAT Math, or his math sets? Considering to get the 1000 math challenge sets from him.

Only have the 8 MGMAT & Kaplan 800 for now...
This seemed to be the best 'global' review of Jeff Sackmann's products:
review-of-jeff-sackmann-s-math-sets-96973.html

I am considering the sets (maybe start with the Challenge and then the Extreme)
but that's pretty expensive ($100 for 800 challenging questions).
Maybe the GMAT Club Tests are a better investment...($100 for 1200 Quant AND Verbal) - a more balanced approach)?
Especially if you can get enough kudos and posts ;-) or if you have the full day on May 28th!
gmat-club-tests-25-math-6-verbal-75833.html

Kudos is a great way to say Thank you...

Current Student
Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 11

Re: Total GMAT Math - Jeff Sackmann [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2012, 15:34
Im going to go for Total GMAT math myself, my quant is not as strong as I want it to be so I am going to start from the ground up.
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q39 V35
GMAT 2: 620 Q43 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V40
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 3

Re: Total GMAT Math - Jeff Sackmann [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2012, 11:19
aalba005 wrote:
Im going to go for Total GMAT math myself, my quant is not as strong as I want it to be so I am going to start from the ground up.

If you want to start from the ground up then Total GMAT math might not be the best option.
The questions in Total GMAT math are good but if you are looking for in-depth explanation of concepts then the MGMAT guides would be the best

My GMAT Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/third-time-s-a-charm-142800.html#p1145912
Quant Concept Videos : http://gmatlife.blogspot.com/2012/07/gm ... ideos.html
My GMAT Blog : http://gmatlife.blogspot.com/

Current Student
Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 11

Re: Total GMAT Math - Jeff Sackmann [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2012, 12:04
Zynga wrote:
aalba005 wrote:

If you want to start from the ground up then Total GMAT math might not be the best option.
The questions in Total GMAT math are good but if you are looking for in-depth explanation of concepts then the MGMAT guides would be the best

well my last test I scored a 44 in Quant and I shift from 42-47 in the practice tests, looking for 49/50. The review for total GMAT math are pretty good and the amount of material is extensive. I will also be getting advanced GMAT quant from MGMAT but I also worry that they will reference the other math guides too frequently. My previous study method was jump straight into practice problems of all types and never worked on my weak areas or improve on my methods of solving problems that I end up doing in a inefficient manner wasting too much time. I think if I spend 2 hours a day reading Bunuel's explanations in the math forum instead I will be set haha.
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q39 V35
GMAT 2: 620 Q43 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V40

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 3

Re: Total GMAT Math - Jeff Sackmann [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2012, 12:26
dont get me wrong, total gmat math is a great book, it explains concepts quite snappily without any unnecessary fluff but it does assume that you have some prior knowledge about those concepts.

My GMAT Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/third-time-s-a-charm-142800.html#p1145912
Quant Concept Videos : http://gmatlife.blogspot.com/2012/07/gm ... ideos.html
My GMAT Blog : http://gmatlife.blogspot.com/

Manager
Manager
Schools: Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 18

Re: Total GMAT Math - Jeff Sackmann [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2012, 23:17
sackman's 1800 questions is a great resource to practice quant

some people are successful, because they have been fortunate enough and some people earn success, because they have been determined.....

please press kudos if you like my post.... i am begging for kudos...lol

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.88
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 78 [1] , given: 31

Re: Total GMAT Math - Jeff Sackmann [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2012, 07:29
This post received
KUDOS
I had bought this book as a resource of questions. After going through about a quarter of the book (chapters i need to revise) i started attempting the Gmat paper tests..Some of the questions are near identical ( same language, same concept, just different numbers )... So i guess this book either directly uses GMAT language (which may or may not be legal) or does an excellent job in writing near identical questions ..

Example:

question from GMAT paper tests that has a very similar question in his book :

Quote:
If x, y, and k are positive numbers such that (yxx+)(10) + (yxy+)(20) = k and if x < y, which of the following could be the value of k?
A. 10
B. 12
C. 15
D. 18
E. 30

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V40
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 23

Re: Total GMAT Math - Jeff Sackmann [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2012, 01:39
vomhorizon wrote:
I had bought this book as a resource of questions. After going through about a quarter of the book (chapters i need to revise) i started attempting the Gmat paper tests..Some of the questions are near identical ( same language, same concept, just different numbers )... So i guess this book either directly uses GMAT language (which may or may not be legal) or does an excellent job in writing near identical questions ..

Example:

Quote:
If x, y, and k are positive numbers such that (yxx+)(10) + (yxy+)(20) = k and if x < y, which of the following could be the value of k?
A. 10
B. 12
C. 15
D. 18
E. 30

I had the same impression after doing a couple of GMAT Prep Mock tests. A lot of Sackmann's questions are simply GMAT Prep questions with different values, so considering that, the price for the question set is absolutely ludicrous. Also most of the drawings are really atrocious and it just doesn't look as if has put enough effort into it to charge that kind of money.
Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.88
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 31

Re: Total GMAT Math - Jeff Sackmann [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2012, 04:13
BN1989 wrote:
vomhorizon wrote:

Example:

Quote:
A. 10
B. 12
C. 15
D. 18
E. 30

I had the same impression after doing a couple of GMAT Prep Mock tests. A lot of Sackmann's questions are simply GMAT Prep questions with different values, so considering that, the price for the question set is absolutely ludicrous. Also most of the drawings are really atrocious and it just doesn't look as if has put enough effort into it to charge that kind of money.

I agree, although i have not bought any of his challenge sets (yet). Some of the questions in the book (Total gmat math) are rephrased questions from the OG or old tests (paper tests)..This may or may not be such a bad thing (depending upon a host of factors)...The diagrams even in the book are below average, and he charges a heck of a lot for that book and then goes on to mention in the intro that the diagrams are bad because he is poor at drawing figures ??? ... That is one serious negative about this book...As a stand alone book, this book really is not sufficient to cover the strategy aspect of the prep, as it skims through a lot of content without proper explanation. I used it as question source after having covered the MGMAT set once, so could skip a lot of the content and strategy, but it would suck to use this book starting up unless one was all ready around the 40 mark in quant (which i suppose many people from the engineering background or a quant heavy background are)

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Anderson '17, ISB '16

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 46

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Total GMAT Math - Jeff Sackmann [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2014, 07:53
lagomez wrote:
HopefulOldie wrote:
What do you guys recommend ..

4 MGMAT quant books or Total GMAT Math by Jeff Sackmann. I do have OG 12 and OG Quant

I used this and that math questions and I thought the materials were very good. I started with the MGMAT books and then moved on to Sackmann's materials. In hindsight, MGMAT helped me review the basics and Sackman's materials got me over the hump on how to tackle the quant section. The materials build a great foundation for gmat type questions. I improved drastically after using Sackman's materials but I focused on the tricks and fundamentals.

If you are weak in quant sackman's materials can be a little confusing. If you have decent knowledge go with sackman only.

Let me know if you have more questions about his materials. Total GMAT Math along with his challenge sets were beneficial.

hi,
i studied basic level maths which is approx 50% conceptwise as per gmat maths. but still i am not having confidence in gmat maths using mgmat. i am targetting 50 minimum with a dedicated 45 days practice. it means daily 5-8hrs without office stress. so kindly tell me which one to proceed with.. total gmat math or mgmat.. keeping in mind i willtake all 6 mgmat catsand gmatclub math test too. all i need to get an extreme good hold over basics and tricks and patterns.
thanks
Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3601

Kudos [?]: 28643 [0], given: 2807

Re: Total GMAT Math - Jeff Sackmann [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2014, 11:21
Expert's post
arjunagarwal88 wrote:
lagomez wrote:
HopefulOldie wrote:

4 MGMAT quant books or Total GMAT Math by Jeff Sackmann. I do have OG 12 and OG Quant

I used this and that math questions and I thought the materials were very good. I started with the MGMAT books and then moved on to Sackmann's materials. In hindsight, MGMAT helped me review the basics and Sackman's materials got me over the hump on how to tackle the quant section. The materials build a great foundation for gmat type questions. I improved drastically after using Sackman's materials but I focused on the tricks and fundamentals.

If you are weak in quant sackman's materials can be a little confusing. If you have decent knowledge go with sackman only.

Let me know if you have more questions about his materials. Total GMAT Math along with his challenge sets were beneficial.

hi,
i studied basic level maths which is approx 50% conceptwise as per gmat maths. but still i am not having confidence in gmat maths using mgmat. i am targetting 50 minimum with a dedicated 45 days practice. it means daily 5-8hrs without office stress. so kindly tell me which one to proceed with.. total gmat math or mgmat.. keeping in mind i willtake all 6 mgmat catsand gmatclub math test too. all i need to get an extreme good hold over basics and tricks and patterns.
thanks

You might find the following post helpful: Best GMAT Quantitative Books

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Anderson '17, ISB '16

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 46

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Total GMAT Math - Jeff Sackmann [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2014, 17:48
lagomez wrote:
HopefulOldie wrote:

i am not pretty good in maths... say i dont have an engineering background though i studied maths whatever i tested in gmat till my last school classes. like numbers..algebra,geometry,etc i did studied. now comes the main problem is i am unable to use concepts,tricks etc to solve gmat maths as i am targeting 50 in quants. so i have mgmat gudies and og as well as og quant review, mgmat tests and gmatclub tests. after going through mgmat i couldnt get much good hold over basics. so i am looking for total gmat maths or kaplan gmat mat foundation or kaplan gmat math workbook.
kindly suggest me the best to bridge my gap from 40 in quants to 50 in quants.
Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3601

Kudos [?]: 28643 [0], given: 2807

Re: Total GMAT Math - Jeff Sackmann [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2014, 01:02
Expert's post
arjunagarwal88 wrote:
lagomez wrote:
HopefulOldie wrote:

kindly suggest me the best to bridge my gap from 40 in quants to 50 in quants.

ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-140445.html

HOW TO IMPROVE YOUR QUANT SCORE

Improving from 30-35 to 40-44
Improving from 44 to 50

Other discussions dedicated to this issue:
quant-strategy-to-go-from-q47-to-q50-q51-137078.html
i-m-getting-a-consistent-q-48-49-i-m-an-engg-student-and-134999.html
3-weeks-to-increase-quant-score-134473.html
improving-q-from-a-50-to-a-145212.html
the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html
help-need-for-quant-150311.html
hitting-the-wall-please-share-your-prep-experience-150112.html
how-to-improve-quant-score-137975.html
need-pointers-to-move-q42-43-q50-148568.html
a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html
do-i-need-to-change-the-way-i-study-110611.html
several-people-has-asked-me-if-it-is-possible-to-improve-40820.html
gmat-in-less-than-4-weeks-desperately-need-quant-advice-127092.html
stuck-at-47-test-in-a-month-137521.html
improve-gmat-score-from-620-to-700-need-urgent-help-144530.html
calling-quant-experts-need-a-strategy-to-improve-146045.html
final-weeks-calculation-silly-errors-and-speed-129408.html
knocked-down-by-the-gmat-for-the-second-time-150350.html
several-people-has-asked-me-if-it-is-possible-to-improve-40820.html
how-to-improve-your-quant-from-q44-to-q50-141670.html
help-gmat-in-3-days-134350.html

HOW TO SPEED UP

Want to speed up? Check this: Timing Strategies on the GMAT
Other discussions dedicated to this issue:
for-non-quant-beasts-128188.html
how-to-speed-up-answering-math-questions-19365.html
having-trouble-finishing-quant-section-any-ideas-110613.html
ds-and-timing-help-108310.html
final-weeks-calculation-silly-errors-and-speed-129408.html

Hope this helps.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 23

CAT Tests
Re: Total GMAT Math - Jeff Sackmann [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2014, 14:04
I scored 43 in my GMAT which I think not a great score. I was wondering if I should buy Total GMAT Math by Jeff Sackmann or look for MGMAT. What do you guys think? Thanks.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 86

Kudos [?]: 490 [1] , given: 432

Premium Member
Re: Total GMAT Math - Jeff Sackmann [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2014, 02:13
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
A score of 43Q suggests that you have a fairly firm grasp on the material. The Manhattan series is more comprehensive, but Sackmann's book contains more and higher-quality questions.
Re: Total GMAT Math - Jeff Sackmann   [#permalink] 19 Jun 2014, 02:13