Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 12:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Total GMAT Math - Jeff Sackmann

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 9

Total GMAT Math - Jeff Sackmann [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2009, 16:26
This post was
BOOKMARKED
What do you guys recommend ..

4 MGMAT quant books or Total GMAT Math by Jeff Sackmann. I do have OG 12 and OG Quant
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 5

Re: Total GMAT Math - Jeff Sackmann [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2009, 17:49
This post received
KUDOS
I think is a great book in terms of giving you the fundamentals to "refresh" what you have forgotten back in high school.
However, the end of chapter questions do require you to go beyond what was covered in the chapter... that is, you won't be able to attend 100% accuracy by just simply reading the chapters.

I do not use MGMAT quant material, so I do not know the comparison. However, I do think Jeff's book is reasonably priced for the stuff you get.

HTH
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 195 [1] , given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Total GMAT Math - Jeff Sackmann [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2009, 20:31
This post received
KUDOS
HopefulOldie wrote:
What do you guys recommend ..

4 MGMAT quant books or Total GMAT Math by Jeff Sackmann. I do have OG 12 and OG Quant

I used this and that math questions and I thought the materials were very good. I started with the MGMAT books and then moved on to Sackmann's materials. In hindsight, MGMAT helped me review the basics and Sackman's materials got me over the hump on how to tackle the quant section. The materials build a great foundation for gmat type questions. I improved drastically after using Sackman's materials but I focused on the tricks and fundamentals.

If you are weak in quant sackman's materials can be a little confusing. If you have decent knowledge go with sackman only.

Let me know if you have more questions about his materials. Total GMAT Math along with his challenge sets were beneficial.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 195 [1] , given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Total GMAT Math - Jeff Sackmann [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2009, 20:38
This post received
KUDOS
In addition, Sackmann responds to his emails within 24 hours. In all his questions, 1000+ I caught two errors. I told him about it and he responded within 24 hours and corrected it. On a few occasions, he took the time to explain a few answers when his were not clear.
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.5

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 9

Re: Total GMAT Math - Jeff Sackmann [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2009, 10:48
Thank you all. I think I am going to get Total GMAT Math. Its a little pricey for 50 bucks :( but according to what I have heard seems like its worth it. Hopefully it will have enough variety of 650+ level questions to covert GMAT quant.
Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 85

Kudos [?]: 481 [0], given: 432

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Total GMAT Math - Jeff Sackmann [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2010, 08:59
Expert's post
At least when starting out, I did not like Sackmann's Total GMAT Math and promptly switched to the Manhattan Series - the best math guides available, in my opinion. As one previous poster suggested, he simply doesn't discuss the topics thoroughly enough to fully absorb the material. The questions in the book are good, though.

However, Sackmann's math sets are, without question, amazing. I purchased and studied all of them. It was the single best investment I made for my GMAT preparation.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: AGSM '16
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 28

Re: Total GMAT Math - Jeff Sackmann [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2010, 09:11
I've got both MGMAT and Total GMAT Math. I'm currently doing MGMAT and plan to go on to TGM after I'm done with it. Both are excellent resources.

I'm also using Jeff's Companion to the Official Guide; another great resource that explains quant questions in the OG very well.
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 340

Kudos [?]: 1391 [0], given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Total GMAT Math - Jeff Sackmann [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2010, 10:44
So between the MGMAT guides, Sackman and the OG, aiming for a 48-50 on the Quant would be a good shot if you put in the right amount of work? (I'm fairly good at Math since I am an engineer, I just need to master GMAT Math) :)
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Total GMAT Math - Jeff Sackmann [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2010, 11:17
Can someone who has the Total GMAT Math book and the GMAT Hacks Challenge problems sets with 1,800 questions tell me the how many pages are in each of the PDFs? I don't want to have to print out 500 pages. Thanks.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 481 [1] , given: 432

Re: Total GMAT Math - Jeff Sackmann [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2010, 12:37
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The math book totals 428 pages.

Regarding the 1,800 math questions, don't print those out. It's better practice to read the problems on the computer screen. I usually opened two of the same math files: one for the questions, and one for the explanations. That way, I didn't have to scroll up and down every time to check my answers.

Hope that helps! :)

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Re: Total GMAT Math - Jeff Sackmann [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2010, 12:49
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Quote:
So between the MGMAT guides, Sackman and the OG, aiming for a 48-50 on the Quant would be a good shot if you put in the right amount of work?

I scored an 18 quant on my first practice test. After reading MGMAT and practicing with Jeff Sackmann's math sets and GMATClub Tests, I made it to 48 on the real thing. I also used the OG books.

The fundamental sets are fairly simple, but it's good to do those and read his explanations, which are fantastic. Trust me, reading 1,800 math explanations helps to improve your understanding. GMATClub tests are very difficult and should be saved for last, but these will ensure a strong performance on the quant section. These are the two best sources for math questions.

I didn't like the math exercises in the MGMAT guides. I would actually skip them. Read the chapters and use Sackmann's questions instead.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Total GMAT Math - Jeff Sackmann [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2010, 12:56
Those 1,800 questions sound amazing. However, the price is extremely expensive. I wonder if it's possible/legal to buy them secondhand from someone who is done studying for the GMAT...
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 340

Kudos [?]: 1391 [0], given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Total GMAT Math - Jeff Sackmann [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2010, 13:02
bmillan01 wrote:
Quote:
So between the MGMAT guides, Sackman and the OG, aiming for a 48-50 on the Quant would be a good shot if you put in the right amount of work?

I scored an 18 quant on my first practice test. After reading MGMAT and practicing with Jeff Sackmann's math sets and GMATClub Tests, I made it to 48 on the real thing. I also used the OG books.

The fundamental sets are fairly simple, but it's good to do those and read his explanations, which are fantastic. Trust me, reading 1,800 math explanations helps to improve your understanding. GMATClub tests are very difficult and should be saved for last, but these will ensure a strong performance on the quant section. These are the two best sources for math questions.

I didn't like the math exercises in the MGMAT guides. I would actually skip them. Read the chapters and use Sackmann's questions instead.

Would it be wise to buy both the Total GMAT Math and the Extreme 1800 Challenge if we already have MGMAT?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Re: Total GMAT Math - Jeff Sackmann [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2010, 14:47
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
If you already have the MGMAT guides, then skip Total GMAT Math. In my opinion, Manhattan offers the best coverage of math concepts tested on the GMAT. But Sackmann's math sets are an excellent investment. GMATClub tests are free once you: (1) post 200 times, and (2) have been a member for three full months. You can also buy them.

My case is a little extreme, though. I practiced with thousands of questions, but I needed to do that in order to score well.

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 195 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Total GMAT Math - Jeff Sackmann [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2010, 15:49
whiplash2411 wrote:
bmillan01 wrote:
Quote:

Would it be wise to buy both the Total GMAT Math and the Extreme 1800 Challenge if we already have MGMAT?

I read the Manhattan Gmat books and also purchased Sackman. I learned a lot from both. In my opinion it wouldn't be a waste of money. However, that's just me.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Re: Total GMAT Math - Jeff Sackmann [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 19:05
this thread really helped..thanks to everyone..got a clear idea about Jeff Sackmann's math sets ..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT Date: 10-22-2011
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 12

Re: Total GMAT Math - Jeff Sackmann [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2010, 08:37
thanks for these posts - thinking of buying some of these sets myself to really cement what i learned in mgmat - unfortunately there just aren't enough practice questions at the back of each mgmat chapter!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 48

GMAT Tests User
Re: Total GMAT Math - Jeff Sackmann [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2011, 03:32
I advocate the following formula for GMAT quant success: GMATClub tests (do them twice under timed conditions) + Total GMAT math to build concepts foundation. Jeff - the author - explains very practically how to attach each type of problem. In comparison with MGMAT, his explanations are more concise and up to the point: for example, Venn's diagrams and probabilities are much easier to grasp than in MGMAT books.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT Date: 10-22-2011
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Internet and New Media)

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 12

Re: Total GMAT Math - Jeff Sackmann [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2011, 07:46
his sets are really good for targeted practice, however there are so many questions it may be unrealistic to think you can complete all of them.

Also, don't expect ANY after-sales support from him - he just doesn't reply to anything.
Manager
Manager
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 50

Re: Total GMAT Math - Jeff Sackmann [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2011, 18:22
I took a GMATPrep exam and got Q47... What should I use to get to the next level ie 50....

GMATClub Tests or Jeff Sackmanns Total GMAT or Jeff's Challenge Sets or a combination of two...
Re: Total GMAT Math - Jeff Sackmann   [#permalink] 10 Apr 2011, 18:22