Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2016, 09:03
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

total no of factors from prime factors?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

total no of factors from prime factors? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2011, 12:45
This post was
BOOKMARKED
48 = (2)^4 *(3)^1

How would you calculate procedure total number of factors? i know the total number of prime factors is 4+1=5.

Thanks
Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 157

Kudos [?]: 1559 [0], given: 376

Re: total no of factors from prime factors? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2011, 12:54
yasirilyas wrote:
48 = (2)^4 *(3)^1

How would you calculate procedure total number of factors? i know the total number of prime factors is 4+1=5.

Thanks

\(48=2^4*3^1\)

(4+1)*(1+1) = 5*2=10

Please read factors section in:

http://gmatclub.com/forum/math-number-theory-88376.html

~fluke

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 511

Kudos [?]: 134 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2016, 20:55
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2016, 12:10
Fluke is right. And here's why this works how it does:

If there are four twos and one three in the prime factorization of 48, then all of the numbers that divide into 48 will be composed only of twos and threes. (Think of prime factors as the 'building blocks' of a number - they can't be split up, so if a number is composed of a certain set of primes, all of its factors can only be constructed from those primes as well.)

Also, any factor of 48 will have at most four twos, and at most one three. If it had more, then it wouldn't divide evenly into 48 - there'd be a two or a three left over that didn't divide evenly. For example, 9 isn't a factor of 48, because 3*3 doesn't divide evenly into 2*2*2*2*3.

What that means is that any factor of 48 will have either no threes, or exactly one three. And, it will have no twos, one two, two twos, three twos, or four twos. Any combination of these will divide evenly into 48:

no twos and no threes = 1
one two and no threes = 2
two twos and no threes = 4
three twos and no threes = 8
four twos and no threes = 16

no twos and one three = 3
one two and one three = 6
two twos and one three = 12
three twos and one three = 24
four twos and one three = 48

That's actually the list of all of the factors of 48! So, how do you calculate how many factors there are without actually writing them all out like that? It's just combinatorics. A factor has either zero or one threes, and either zero, one, two, three, or four fours. That means there's two possibilities for how many threes a factor can have, and five possibilities for how many twos it can have. Combining those gives you 2*5 = 10 factors.

In general, the formula is (1+a)(1+b)(1+c)(...) where a is the number of twos in the prime factorization, b is the number of threes, c is the number of fives, etc. The reason 1 gets added is because there's an additional possibility of having no twos in that particular factor, or no threes, no fives, etc.

Chelsey Cooley | Manhattan Prep Instructor | Seattle and Online

Did you like this post? Check out my upcoming GMAT classes and private tutoring!

Manhattan Prep GMAT Discount | Manhattan Prep GMAT Reviews

Re: total no of factors from prime factors?   [#permalink] 15 May 2016, 12:10