Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 07:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Tough call...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Which one?

• 53% [15]
  • 46% [13]
TAGS:
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q42 V45
GPA: 3.2
WE: Securities Sales and Trading (Investment Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

Tough call... [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2014, 18:16
I have been admitted and planned to matriculate at Tepper with $20k in scholarships. However, I have just been plucked off the Waitlist at Johnson for an interview. I will assume that if I get an admit, there will be no scholarship. A little bit about myself:

Pre MBA: 3 years in financial services with 2 coming as a financial advisor with major BB bank (wealth management side, not IB) series 7 and 66 FINRA licenses.

Looking for: I want to move into management consulting (MBB hopefully, but would be happy with deloitte, lek types). Need to develop quantitative skills in school and want to have solid consulting recruiting opportunities. I don't have a preference for where is work post MBA geographically.

Thoughts?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 2

Re: Tough call... [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2014, 03:07
Tepper vs Johnson, definitely a tough choice. I voted for Tepper. Looking at your post mba goal, Tepper has a higher percentage of students getting into consulting. Johnson is higher ranked when compared to Tepper. The scholarship and better consulting job opportunity at Tepper should outweigh the brand value of Johnson. Visit both the schools,talk to some current students and alumni and then make a decision.

Good Luck!
http://www.interviewbay.com
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: CBS '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.55
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 23

Re: Tough call... [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2014, 05:45
I voted for Tepper (assuming you get no $ from Johnson) because of what you said about developing quantitative skills. Based on my understanding Tepper has a quantitative focus and its actually one of their selling points.

My advice would be to talk to students from both schools and get a sense for a) how many people got jobs/internships at MBB, etc and b) how they think their curriculum helped them land that internship/job.

Congrats on the admits and good luck!
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 16

Re: Tough call... [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2014, 07:15
I voted for Tepper.
1. You are accepted there
2. A little bit of money is better than no money
3. I did like Tepper way better than Johnson when visiting
4. Tepper is a great school to develop quant skills
5. The number going into Consulting is 33% at Tepper vs. 23% at Johnson
Current Student

Re: Tough call... [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2014, 08:08
Thanks for the responses. I guess the only thing tha hangs me up on the consulting numbers at Tepper is that the may include some pretty heavy IT consulting rather than strategy work. I have no interest in IT work at all
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: CBS '16 (M)
GPA: 3.55
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 23

Re: Tough call... [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2014, 09:37
Take a look at this article. It's not yearly stats, but they did a search of LinkedIn profiles and found out how many alumni from a given school work for a given top consulting firm.

http://poetsandquants.com/2014/01/17/wh ... onsulting/
Current Student

Re: Tough call... [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2014, 03:27
So I just got the admit from Cornell and am still considerin this decision. I did not receiver a scholarship offer but here is what is giving me a hard time when trying to decide:

While Tepper has better placement in consulting for FT positions, they place weak in consulting internships. Conversely, it seems that almost everyone that gets a FT consulting offer at Cornell had an internship in consulting as well. I know that FT offers are ultimately what matters, but it is my understanding that most firms will do a tuition reimbursement for retuning intern's 2nd year tuition. There seems to be a higher chance of this at Cornell which would make up for the lack of scholarship.

Tepper: 15% internship, 31% FT
Johnson: 19% internship, 23% FT

Thoughts?

Posted from my mobile device Image

Last edited by dthollow on 26 Mar 2014, 04:01, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 311 [0], given: 166

Premium Member
Re: Tough call... [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2014, 04:00
dthollow wrote:

While Tepper has better placement in consulting for FT positions, they place weak in consulting internships. Conversely, it seems that almost everyone that gets a FT consulting offer at Cornell had an internship in consulting as well. I know that FT offers are ultimately what matters, but it is my understanding that most firms will do a tuition reimbursement for retuning intern's 2nd year tuition. There seems to be a higher chance of this at Cornell which would make up for the lack of scholarship.

I wouldn't overthink this aspect. Personally, I say remove $$ from the equation and think of where you'll be happiest. Yes the MBA is a means to an end, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't enjoy your experience.

In the end, both schools will get you where you want to go if you put in the work. It's too easy to get caught up in the numbers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Current Student

Re: Tough call... [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2014, 18:14
dthollow wrote:
So I just got the admit from Cornell and am still considerin this decision. I did not receiver a scholarship offer but here is what is giving me a hard time when trying to decide:

Thoughts?

Any other thoughts on this? Still lost on my end
Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 221 [0], given: 54

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Tough call... [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2014, 06:22
Expert's post
dthollow wrote:
dthollow wrote:

Thoughts?

Any other thoughts on this? Still lost on my end

I'd probably go to Cornell. What's getting missed in all of this is, two variables:
1) self selection
2) quality of consulting jobs

If you look at schools ranked poorly, in the 50's and 60's, most of them also send 30% of their class into consulting. But they are different caliber of jobs. The same thing is going here for Tepper. Cornell, despite sending a lower percentage of the class into consulting, sends many more people in tier 1 and tier 2 programs. Looking at employment report and class sizes, you have about a 50% higher chance of getting into a tier 1 or 2 firm from Cornell than Tepper. To me, that's worth an extra 10% cost of a MBA (the $20k scholarship you're giving up).
BSchool Forum Moderator
GMAT 1: 740 Q52 V38
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 206 [0], given: 129

Premium Member
Re: Tough call... [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2014, 06:54
mgh234 wrote:
If you look at schools ranked poorly, in the 50's and 60's, most of them also send 30% of their class into consulting. But they are different caliber of jobs. The same thing is going here for Tepper. Cornell, despite sending a lower percentage of the class into consulting, sends many more people in tier 1 and tier 2 programs. Looking at employment report and class sizes, you have about a 50% higher chance of getting into a tier 1 or 2 firm from Cornell than Tepper. To me, that's worth an extra 10% cost of a MBA (the $20k scholarship you're giving up).

Interesting, how do you know Cornell sends more to tier 1/2 firms than Tepper? Where can one find this information? The only thing I can find is Businessweek, where they provide "Top Employers/Numbers Hired" - and they say that Tepper sent 7 students to McKinsey and Johnson, if any, sent less than 6.

My review of some of the CAT practice exams
You can usually find me on gmatclub's chat.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 221 [1] , given: 54

Re: Tough call... [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2014, 08:37
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
farful wrote:
mgh234 wrote:

Interesting, how do you know Cornell sends more to tier 1/2 firms than Tepper? Where can one find this information? The only thing I can find is Businessweek, where they provide "Top Employers/Numbers Hired" - and they say that Tepper sent 7 students to McKinsey and Johnson, if any, sent less than 6.

I based it on the linkedin analysis posted above.
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 6

Re: Tough call... [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2014, 09:47
mgh234 wrote:
farful wrote:
mgh234 wrote:

I based it on the linkedin analysis posted above.

Those are some interesting numbers, but does anyone have any idea how accurate they are?

Its surprising to me that Indiana and Texas have such a high percentage in the non MBB consulting roles. How competitive is it to land the non MBB consulting roles?
Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator

Re: Tough call... [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2014, 10:01
Expert's post
The thing people tend to forget about consulting, especially in non-MBB, is that there are things other than management consulting at this firms. Many of these firms have HR and IT consulting, which is less competitive than management/strategy consulting. Likewise, many of these firms have non-client facing research positions, that are likewise not as competitive. Most of the tier 2 companies are also accounting firms, so people aren't even necessarily going into consulting when they head back to them. Lastly, outside the very top firms, things tend to be more regional, so in high population areas without a top school (e.g. Texas), the regional schools do well, but in that office only.

When researching UCLA, I reached out the management consulting firm, and was able to get break down of the type of roles. Actually, UCLA was MUCH more transparent than Duke (which is surprising, since UCLA does worse in Consulting), which was one of the reasons it made my choice to attend Kellogg easier - I didn't really fully "buy" the quality of positions in consulting Duke was getting students, since they wouldn't share those details. By comparison, 25% of the MC roles at UCLA were for non-MC positions.
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 6

Re: Tough call... [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2014, 11:28
mgh234 wrote:
The thing people tend to forget about consulting, especially in non-MBB, is that there are things other than management consulting at this firms. Many of these firms have HR and IT consulting, which is less competitive than management/strategy consulting. Likewise, many of these firms have non-client facing research positions, that are likewise not as competitive. Most of the tier 2 companies are also accounting firms, so people aren't even necessarily going into consulting when they head back to them. Lastly, outside the very top firms, things tend to be more regional, so in high population areas without a top school (e.g. Texas), the regional schools do well, but in that office only.

When researching UCLA, I reached out the management consulting firm, and was able to get break down of the type of roles. Actually, UCLA was MUCH more transparent than Duke (which is surprising, since UCLA does worse in Consulting), which was one of the reasons it made my choice to attend Kellogg easier - I didn't really fully "buy" the quality of positions in consulting Duke was getting students, since they wouldn't share those details. By comparison, 25% of the MC roles at UCLA were for non-MC positions.

Good point, how were you able to break down which roles were management consulting vs other types of consulting?
Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator

Re: Tough call... [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2014, 11:34
Expert's post
webster11 wrote:
mgh234 wrote:

Good point, how were you able to break down which roles were management consulting vs other types of consulting?

I asked someone in the consulting club. I was actually impressed how transparent they were.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.73
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 15

Re: Tough call... [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2014, 20:18
So you are saying 75% consulting jobs out of UCLA is for MC? That's quite good actually.
Re: Tough call...   [#permalink] 04 Apr 2014, 20:18