Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 11:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Tough Decision: Rotman or Ivey?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Tough Decision: Rotman or Ivey? [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2007, 12:05
I am trying to decide between Ivey and Rotman and would like anyone's input/opinions. I would like to work in consulting and major in finance in school. Here are my thoughts on the schools so far:

Ivey:
- I have heard Ivey is a better school for consulting. I can't seem to find any data to support this however.
- The new 1 year program is a plus. However, it also adds some uncertainty. There are no placement stats available for the 1 year program.
- I prefer the case method approach.
- I think the calibre of students is higher at Ivey.
- Appears to have a stronger career center.

Rotman:
- Known for strong finance program.
- Program is on the upswing with Roger Martin.
- Also has a higher ranking (by 14 spots) in FT (how important is this?)
- Is it too easy to get into Rotman? I have heard that 90% of applicants are accepted!

Also, which school is better known abroad (US, Europe, Asia)? And where would you go? Thanks!
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2007, 11:55
I am also struggling with the decision between these two schools. Here is my take:

- Ivey's excellent reputation is based in its history, whereas Rotman's reputation is based more on its current program.
- The Financial Times ranking is probably the best ranking, but even a slight change in criteria can drastically change its overall ranking. Don't put too much weight on it.
- Ivey is about 90 percent case-based learning, and Rotman has a more even mix of case studies and classroom time.
- Ivey seems to put more effort into attracting new applicants by providing them with resources to compile a complete application package.
- Rotman's two year curriculum allows for a summer internship, which can help your chances of getting a job after graduation.

Right now I am leaning towards Ivey, but if someone were to ask which is the best BS in Canada, I would say "both."
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2007, 05:21
csgreen,

I also find myself leaning towards Ivey at the moment. The case method approach and the 1 year program is the biggest sell for me. But I am apprehensive because of the infancy of the 1 year program and a lack of placement stats.

I would agree with most of your points except the last one. Apparently, only 11% of students who worked for a particular firm in the summer actually end up working full time with the same firm. That number is shockingly low and, apparently, is also close to the average for all 2 year programs in Canada.

Another important consideration for Ivey is the cohort. If you aim to break into consulting or finance, the May cohort is advantageous as it is better aligned with the recruiting season of such firms.

Thanks for your thoughts and let me know when you make a decision.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2007, 13:58
csgreen,

Have you made a decision yet? I'm off to Ivey.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2007, 07:22
I attended a First Class on the Road session just last night, and was really impressed. I'm definitely leaning towards Ivey now.

If you don't mind me asking, what was your GMAT score?
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2007, 16:43
Did you go through the Pepsi case? I was looking forward to discussing it last month but I just couldn't make it to the session that day. BTW, my GMAT score was 700 (Q47, V40, AWA5.5).

The biggest thing I struggled with as a career switcher was the summer internship available at Rotman. But I really like Ivey's program. If only it was still 2 years long. I am also thinking about deferring to the May 2008 cohort to align myself with the recruiting cycle. On the other hand, I am anxious to get going and not delay things - we'll see.

The frustrating thing is I already sent in my deposit to Rotman months ago so I stand to throw away $2,500!

Keep me posted on your thought process and ultimate decision. Good luck!
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2007, 11:15
No, it was Vista-Sci Health Care Inc. A case about talent management and leadership. Professor Gerard Seijts led the discussion and was very engaging. If you speak up you'd better be ready to defend your opinion!

I'm hoping to get a similar GMAT score. If my GmatPrep score is any indicator (700), then I have a chance! It seems to me that Ivey really stresses leadership in its curriculum and looks for applicants who show leadership potential. I feel this may be a weakness in my application. My current job is not a formal leadership position, so I will need to think about how else I can portray my leadership potential.

I'm aiming to join the May 2008 cohort, so if you defer we could be classmates! I'll keep you updated on my progress!
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2007, 05:53
I wouldn't worry if you're not in a leadership position. They are not looking to see if you have necessarily managed people but rather the impact you've had in your company. What results/ changes were achieved because of you? When were you able to exert influence to drive progress? These are important things the adcom will look at and value. They are also interested in your experience in working with people and teams and what role you played. So don't worry if you're not a manger or don't have any people reporting to you. You can demonstrate leadership and leadership potential in other ways.

Good luck!
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2007, 14:46
Phooey,

How are you liking Ivey so far? Do you think you made the right choice?
I have been accepted to Ivey but am still not sure whether I will choose Rotman instead. I visited both recently and thought they are both strong schools. I probably can't go wrong either way.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2007, 07:48
I think both schools are really good and Ivey made a great move changing to the 1 year format. This change has allowed Ivey to differenciate from Rotman (a 2 years program). So, deciding wich school to attend is more a matter of personal choice between two difference models that are not 100% comparable.

I personally prefer Rotman because of the following reasons:

1.- I want to do an internship.
2.- The class size of Ivey is only 65 students compared to 265 in Rotman. I would like to participate in more clubs activities and this would be limited with the new Ivey class size.
3.- I prefer to live in a big city.
4.- I want to specialize in finance (I come from a finance background)
5.- I like the Integrative Thinking approach (however, Ivey is doing a great job with its new vision for class formats).
6.- I prefer a 2Y program over a 1Y program.

My reasons don't state that Rotman is superior than Ivey. They only reflect my personal preference. Other people may prefer to have a 1 year program or like a small class size.

Regards.
  [#permalink] 02 Nov 2007, 07:48