Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:06 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2829 [247]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64900 [152]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 428 [91]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT Date: 10-15-2011
GPA: 3.71
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64900 [47]
Send PM
Re: Tough airthmetic [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
rxs0005 wrote:
The final exam of a particular class makes up 40% of the final grade, and Moe is failing the class with an average (arithmetic mean) of 45% just before taking the final exam. What grade does Moe need on his final exam in order to receive the passing grade average of 60% for the class?

(A) 75%
(B) 82.5%
(C) 85%
(D) 90%
(E) 92.5%

Using the scale method (called alligation by some), you can very neatly and quickly solve this question of weighted averages.

Weightage of mid terms (or whatever) - 60%
Weightage of final exams - 40%
Marks obtained in mid term - 45%
Average required - 60%
So marks obtained in finals - x%

Now make a diagram like this:
Attachment:
Ques2.jpg
Ques2.jpg [ 5.28 KiB | Viewed 59176 times ]

Since the weights are in the ratio 3:2, the distance on the scale will be in the ratio 2:3.
So x = 82.5%

If you have time, it would be a good idea to be comfortable with the scale method. It will save you a lot of time and energy.
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [3]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I'd go with b 82.5 oa?

You get that with weighted avg, unless there us a super tricky wrinkle which makes this a 700 level prob OA?

Posted from my mobile device

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [5]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Cornell
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
rite2deepti wrote:
gmat1011 wrote:
I'd go with b 82.5 oa?

You get that with weighted avg, unless there us a super tricky wrinkle which makes this a 700 level prob OA?

It would be helpful if you can show ,how did you solve it by weighted average ...
Thanks in advance for detailed explanation

The concept is same as that explained by VeritasKarishma..
Weighted average=60=(40*x+60*45)/(60+40) -> 60*100=40x+2700 --> 40x=6000-2700=3300 -->x=3300/40=82.5
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 218 [2]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Kudos
Karishma I knew what weighted average was and the formula but did not understand how you applied the scale method. wow, I had no clue about this Karishma. Great way to look at it.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64900 [11]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
This method is a real time saver. If you are already comfortable with the concept of weighted averages, try using the diagram for a few questions. Thereafter, when you see a weighted 'average' in the question and the smaller C and greater C, just find the difference between average and smaller C and difference between average and greater C and flip the ratios.

e.g. A group of friends has 10 boys and some girls. Average age of boys is 20 years and average age of girls is 17 years. The average age of the group is 18 years. How many girls are there?

When I see this question, I do not bother with the diagram. I say 18 - 17 (girls' age)= 1 so 1 goes to no of boys and 20 (boys' age) - 18 = 2 so 2 goes to no of girls. Ratio girls:boys = 2:1
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64900 [5]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
anish319 wrote:
karishma

how did you derive this: Since the weights are in the ratio 3:2, the distance on the scale will be in the ratio 2:3.
So x = 82.5%

I followed the whole weighted average discussion. what is C2 for the above question

Weights are the number of boys and number of girls. Here we need to find the number of girls so we do not have the ratio of weights. We need to find it. What we do have is C1, CAvg and C2. As shown in the diagram above, ratio of distance between C2 and CAvg and distance between CAvg and C1 gives the ratio of weights.

C1 = 17 yrs, CAvg = 18 yrs and C2 = 20 yrs
Hence distance on the scale between 17 and 18 is 1 and distance on the scale between 18 and 20 is 2. This gives us a ratio of 2:1 for the weights i.e. for the number of girls:number of boys.

Remember C is what you want to find the average of. Here average age is 18 yrs. So age is C.
Weights is the number of boys/girls.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Bookmarks
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
rxs0005 wrote:
The final exam of a particular class makes up 40% of the final grade, and Moe is failing the class with an average (arithmetic mean) of 45% just before taking the final exam. What grade does Moe need on his final exam in order to receive the passing grade average of 60% for the class?

(A) 75%
(B) 82.5%
(C) 85%
(D) 90%
(E) 92.5%

Using the scale method (called alligation by some), you can very neatly and quickly solve this question of weighted averages.

Average required - 60%

Attachment:
Ques2.jpg

Since the weights are in the ratio 3:2, the distance on the scale will be in the ratio 2:3.
So x = 82.5%

If you have time, it would be a good idea to be comfortable with the scale method. It will save you a lot of time and energy.

I was actually about the above solution....sorry for the confusion. how did you get "Since the weights are in the ratio 3:2, the distance on the scale will be in the ratio 2:3.
So x = 82.5%"
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64900 [16]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
anish319 wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
rxs0005 wrote:

(A) 75%
(B) 82.5%
(C) 85%
(D) 90%
(E) 92.5%

Average required - 60%

Attachment:
Ques2.jpg

So x = 82.5%

I was actually about the above solution....sorry for the confusion. how did you get "Since the weights are in the ratio 3:2, the distance on the scale will be in the ratio 2:3.
So x = 82.5%"

Oh ok... I thought I was missing something!
In the question above, you have the average of marks. So your C is marks. Here, the difference is that weights are given to you and one of the C (i.e. C2) is missing.
We know that ratio of weights will be the distance on the number line.

So if you look at the diagram above, the ratio of weights is 3:2 (because weightage of mid terms is 60% and weightage of finals is 40%, so 60:40 = 3:2). This means that the distance on the number line should be in the ratio 2:3 (The ratio on the number line flips). So distance between 45 and 60 is 2 units. This means 1 unit is 15/2 = 7.5 on the number line.
Now we need to find what 3 units distance is because C2 (i.e. x in the diagram) will be 3 units away from 60. Since 1 unit is 7.5, 3 units will be 22.5. Adding 22.5 to 60, we get 82.5. So x, the missing extreme right value must be 82.5
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 496 [0]
Given Kudos: 161
 Q50  V41
GPA: 3.9
WE 1: Business Development
Send PM
Karishma - amazing system. DO u have any more examples so we can try it out?

thanks.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64900 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
144144 wrote:
Karishma - amazing system. DO u have any more examples so we can try it out?

thanks.

If you are comfortable with the method, try this question...
https://gmatclub.com/forum/a-problem-from-veritas-arithmetic-book-107983.html

and I have dozens of questions on this concept. Keep solving and I will keep putting more and more questions!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64900 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
@subhashghosh

Check out the very first post of mine in this topic. It shows you how you can apply the scale method here.
You can also apply the formula as you wrote in your message.
w1/w2 = (A2 - Avg)/(Avg - A1)

The problem in your solution is that you have switched the ratio.

You took 40/60 which is weightage to final/weightage to tests
But you are considering A2 to be the score in the finals.
If final weightage is w1 (since 40 is numerator), final % will be A1.

Remember, you can take anything as w1 and the other as w2 but you need to be careful with A1 and A2 after that. Also, I like to keep A2 the one which is greater than the average so that I don't have to mess around with negatives very much. So this is how I will make the equation:

60/40 = (x - 60)/(60 - 45)
x = 82.5%
Director
Director
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Own Kudos [?]: 589 [3]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Kudos
total = 100,
final = 40