Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 12:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Tough time determining where to apply in top 15 (Engineer)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Tough time determining where to apply in top 15 (Engineer) [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2014, 20:56
Hello - I'm looking for honest opinions on chances to top ten schools with focuses in technology management.

I'll be looking at applying to schools for the fall 2015.

• Hispanic male, raised Europe/US
  • Age at enrollment: 28
  • Years working experience at enrollment: 5
  • College: NC State
  • Undergrad - Computer Engineering, 3.89
  • Masters - Computer Engineering, 4.0
  • Expected GMAT: 680-700
  • During grad school, I also took 2 Technology Entrepreneurship courses with the University's school of business which was a joint program between engineering/business and the technology incubator on-campus (and loved it). We went the the process of surveying available technologies on-campus and taking them through the business-plan development and venture capital pitch.
  • Throughout college/grad school/professional work was very involved with the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE). Held various leadership positions, participated in local hispanic community volunteer events, and provided scholarships to local students via my company.
  • Work for 5 years as an embedded software developer for top mobile industry giant. Individual contributor for ~2 years, then served as software lead on various projects leading development for up to 5 other developers (often more senior). Constantly pulled into front-facing customer meetings for technical presentations and brainstorming. Last 3 years, relocated to serve as the main point of contact and site-lead for a small remote office in another tech-centric part of the country (same division). Position is still developer-focused, in addition to leading the local hiring, space management, strategic development of future on-site projects, and interfacing with other divisional groups on-site. Recently received a promotion which is the fastest anyone has moved to my level of developer in the division.
  • In the distant future I'd like to see myself as a CTO for a tech company or a division VP leading strategic direction. In the short term, working as a tech-focused product manager or consultant in the technology and/or green energy sectors are very appealing to me.

Based on my research my top schools would be:
  • Stanford
  • MIT
  • UC-Berkely
  • Duke
  • Yale

Safety:
  • UT-Austin
  • UNC

Any suggestions on schools I missed or should consider, and insight into my chances are much appreciated.
Thank you!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V48
GPA: 3.1
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 17

Re: Tough time determining where to apply in top 15 (Engineer) [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2014, 08:19
I'd throw Tepper onto your list of schools. It seems to be a good fit based on your past and what you want in the future.

My slightly educated guess: you're going to need a GMAT a bit higher than 680-700 for Stanford, MIT, and maybe even Haas. Obviously a lot depends on execution, but if you got up to the 710-730 range I think you'd have a little easier time at those schools (of course nobody has an easy time getting into Stanford, but you know what I mean).

Again, just my slightly educated opinions.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 43

Re: Tough time determining where to apply in top 15 (Engineer) [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2014, 13:52
Tepper's a great school, a bit under-the-radar (for a Top 15 school) but a good spot to do tech.

A few other schools you can add to the mix would be Michigan Ross and UCLA Anderson. Both great for tech and would definitely match up with what you're trying to accomplish.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Tough time determining where to apply in top 15 (Engineer) [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2014, 11:57
Being hispanic with international exposure, I would add more top 5 programs to your list. Harvard, Booth, Wharton. They can get you where you want to go - they have plenty of "tech" experience and strength. And your application will be seriously considered if you have a 690+ GMAT. You have great GPAs. Cheers
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 323 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Tough time determining where to apply in top 15 (Engineer) [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2014, 14:17
Expert's post
reiman1 wrote:
Based on my research my top schools would be:
  • Stanford
  • MIT
  • UC-Berkely
  • Duke
  • Yale

Safety:
  • UT-Austin
  • UNC
Based on what you want to do I would recommend.
  • Stanford
  • MIT
  • UC-Berkeley
  • UT-Austin

In that order. And given, your background, you should be able to get in at least one of those schools.

Diversity

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 16

Re: Tough time determining where to apply in top 15 (Engineer) [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2014, 02:13
Just something to consider: At schools like Sloan or Tepper you will be with many tech guys. I am a little bit biased about that: On one hand recruiting for IT management programs and the like is excellent, on the other hand at other schools the diversity will help one grow way better. Having said that, I still have applied at Tepper myself, despite having a degree in Computer Science and work experience in the IT security field.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 2

Re: Tough time determining where to apply in top 15 (Engineer) [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2014, 22:19
You have a pretty good profile. Work experience, Extracurricular and everything is just on place Your scores are all good. So you can try for top 10 b-schools. You equally have a good chance at all these 5 schools. Based on your post mba goals, Stanford would be the best option. Its employment statistics also support this statement. All these schools that you have shortlisted are pretty decent. Getting through anyone of them would be great! Infact UNC and Ut-Austin are also a good choice. I think you’ll get through your top 5 choices.
Good Luck!
Re: Tough time determining where to apply in top 15 (Engineer)   [#permalink] 24 Feb 2014, 22:19