Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 20:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Toughest/Interesting question you've had

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Toughest/Interesting question you've had [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2008, 17:14
This post was
BOOKMARKED
As the topic says. Just wondering what the toughest or interesting question you've had so far. Not after an interview review, looking for anecdotal experiences and how you handled the question.

Probably the toughest question i had so far, was from HKUST -
Can't remember the exact question but it goes along the lines of :-

"You're 33 with no financial background so unlikely to be recruited by i-banks, can't speak Mandarin so are competing against people who can for marketing, consulting and management jobs, what type of career opportunities do you think you have in Hong Kong?"

Was a toughie due to its negative slant. I talked about my international experience and the globalisation of companies.

Most Interesting was from NUS -
"Economically, how do you see India and China in 30 years time?"

I focused on China and it's historical GDP in terms of ratio to world GDP. Then brought in the opium wars and cultural revolution to explain the downturn, and how the upturn in GDP should allow it to eventually reach its historical ratio based on the premise of political stability and improved infrastructure and population. I also transferred the last 3 criteria to explain that India also has the same potential.

Probably should have cited post-second world war Japan as an example of a country which developed quickly to become an economic superpower. In fact 19th century Japan is a good example as it was closed off to the world for over 100 hundred years, thereby missing the industrial revolution in the west. After it's ports were re-opened by the Americans for trade, they advanced so quickly to become a military superpower in the region.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Toughest/Interesting question you've had [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2008, 18:23
NUS Adcom asked me "What do you NOT like about people ?"

I was like..."whaaaat!"
Obviously, I didn't have many points to talk about...and ranted whatever came to my mind at that moment. The interviewer was persistent and asked me to be more specific and quote an example...gave some answer that was even more in generic terms. He must have been pretty annoyed with my responses as he moved quickly to other topics :-D :-D .

Neverthless, got an admit yesterday. So I guess it was the only poor response in the interview.

http://mba2010dreams.blogspot.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Toughest/Interesting question you've had [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2008, 18:40
sperinko wrote:
Neverthless, got an admit yesterday. So I guess it was the only poor response in the interview.

Congratulations sperinko!! I am sure this is the first of many more to come. :good
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 336 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Toughest/Interesting question you've had [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2008, 22:21
congrats sperinko!!!

My toughest question came from UCLA Anderson.

"What areas do you believe Anderson is weak on compared to other schools you are applying to?"

That threw me for a loop, because usually they ask what you like about the school as compared to other schools (i.e. what's "Unique" about the school), but this one got me. Since I could not say "your admissions office", and Anderson actually had the BEST and most supportive entrepreneurship program of all the schools I applied to (unexpected, but true), I had to say something about the lack of high-tech focus of Anderson compared to other schools I was applying to (which gave away that I applied to Stanford and Haas). It wasn't my best answer, but I did state that I truly believed Anderson has one of the best entrepreneurship programs out there.

good thread, added to knowledge vault.

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Toughest/Interesting question you've had [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2008, 22:47
sperinko, congrats!!!
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2010
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Toughest/Interesting question you've had [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2008, 23:33
wharton's "what will you contribute to your learning team" question gave me fits
SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Toughest/Interesting question you've had [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2008, 00:18
sperinko, congrats on your NUS admit! Much props for a well-deserved accomplishment.

sperinko wrote:

I was like..."whaaaat!"
Obviously, I didn't have many points to talk about...and ranted whatever came to my mind at that moment. The interviewer was persistent and asked me to be more specific and quote an example...gave some answer that was even more in generic terms. He must have been pretty annoyed with my responses as he moved quickly to other topics :-D :-D .

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Toughest/Interesting question you've had [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2008, 06:34
My interviewer asked me about my international experience. If you haven't had any type of international experience (i.e. study abroad, backpacking for a month, international business, etc) this question can really catch you off guard. And, I don't think that your Spring Break trip to Cancun really suffices as internatioanl experience. :)
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Toughest/Interesting question you've had [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2008, 10:01
This post received
KUDOS
My UC Berkeley interviewer looked at my resume and said "All of these accomplishments look like they're part of your job. What have you done that was above and beyond your job description?"

Good thing I worked at a startup so there's a lot of room for above and beyond, but I kind of stuttered that one.

Also, "how are you analytical, in your work or outside of work?"

My brain got sidetracked because I started thinking, who the hell is analytical outside of work? That's not fun...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Toughest/Interesting question you've had [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2008, 10:28
Thanks nc ,clobo, kry....although I will probably not go to Singapore. Its a good program and is in a great place but does not have strengths in the areas I am interested (Hi-Tech product mgmt). I just applied there as a safety (plus no Application fee...will you believe that !!). Hopefully I have luck in atleast one of the US B-Schools I am applying to. We'll see. Thanks again.

ncprasad wrote:
sperinko, congrats on your NUS admit! Much props for a well-deserved accomplishment.

sperinko wrote:

I was like..."whaaaat!"

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Toughest/Interesting question you've had [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2008, 10:29
Thanks RED
R.E.D. wrote:
sperinko, congrats!!!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Toughest/Interesting question you've had [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2008, 10:46
sperinko wrote:

I was like..."whaaaat!"

Congrats... its just the begining.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Toughest/Interesting question you've had [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2008, 08:06
sperinko wrote:

I was like..."whaaaat!"

Sperinko! Somehow I missed this...Congratulations! :-D

...there ain't no such thing as a free lunch...

SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Toughest/Interesting question you've had [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2008, 09:09
Mine was stupid:

I talked about being a voracious reader and reading just about anything I can get my hands on - fiction and non. Next question? What's the last nonfiction book you read?

Uh....uh....don't know....can't remember....my brain just went "duh" and i couldn't come up with anything for a moment. I was so busy during admissions season last year that I wasn't reading quite as much (used to be that i would be in the middle of at least 2 or 3 books at all times) and the last thing I read was sorta dumb and I couldn't remember the author and I said it anyway and just felt like a hoser.
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Toughest/Interesting question you've had [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2008, 13:07
Tell me about a time you took a risk without consulting your supervisor?

- a good one, you either come out sounding like a wuss, or like a crazed lunatic if you aren't careful.

I know a lot of people on the end of "why wouldn't I employ you?" and similar questions. I didn't like the "how would you use a jump diffusion model to price an option?" (the guy KNEW I had never covered that, and was just being an ass).

These are all job i/view questions though. Which reminds me to go over to the advice for the break prior to school thread...

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 336 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Toughest/Interesting question you've had [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2008, 15:23
mba2010 wrote:
My UC Berkeley interviewer looked at my resume and said "All of these accomplishments look like they're part of your job. What have you done that was above and beyond your job description?"

wow, your interviewer was *tough*! That's a very mean question.

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Toughest/Interesting question you've had [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2008, 06:44
Ok, my Wharton interviewer asked me to solve the following problem:

You are on a wilderness retreat with your team. It’s getting dark, you are returning to the big camp with your team and looks like you are lost. For a split of second you spot the campfires among the trees, but however hard you try to see it again, you cannot. Yet, you are absolutely positive about the general direction of the camp.
However another team member who boasts vast experience of surviving in the wild, insist that the camp is in the opposite direction. The rest of the team have no opinion. What do you do?

I think I botched that one. I would not reproduce the whole answer and follow up questions (oh, he was persistent) but I ended up saying that we would spend the whole night there on the spot… waiting for the dawn… sharing each other bodywarmth… :shock: Guess that explains why I was dinged at Wharton :oops: :roll:
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Toughest/Interesting question you've had [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2008, 15:53
helg wrote:

You are on a wilderness retreat with your team. It’s getting dark, you are returning to the big camp with your team and looks like you are lost. For a split of second you spot the campfires among the trees, but however hard you try to see it again, you cannot. Yet, you are absolutely positive about the general direction of the camp.
However another team member who boasts vast experience of surviving in the wild, insist that the camp is in the opposite direction. The rest of the team have no opinion. What do you do?

I think I botched that one. I would not reproduce the whole answer and follow up questions (oh, he was persistent) but I ended up saying that we would spend the whole night there on the spot… waiting for the dawn… sharing each other bodywarmth… :shock: Guess that explains why I was dinged at Wharton :oops: :roll:

Can you cheat by saying.. I pull out my N82/N95 and check the GPS. :lol:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 24

GMAT Tests User
Re: Toughest/Interesting question you've had [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2009, 13:17
helg wrote:

Great question. It actually reflects on your decision making abilities. Especially split second decision making abilities. It questions you as to how can you choose between your gut feeling and a 'well tested external input'. Frankly, like an behavioral questions there's no right answer. However, because you said that you would not take either of those decisions and choose a relatively easier alternative, that might have cast a negative impression. Just my thought.

In the land of the night, the chariot of the sun is drawn by the grateful dead

Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg '10

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Toughest/Interesting question you've had [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2009, 14:00
The one that caught me the most off-guard was "Tell me something you learned yesterday."

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Toughest/Interesting question you've had   [#permalink] 11 Mar 2009, 14:00