Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 10:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Traces of cultivated emmer wheat have been found among the

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
avatar
Joined: 29 Apr 2010
Posts: 126
Followers: 47

Kudos [?]: 171 [2] , given: 1

Re: GMAT prep quest [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2010, 07:13
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I agree with all the above posters so won't go too much into detail breaking down the answer choices, but for FQ-- the argument is laid out this way:

Cult. EW traces found all over Europe/Asia
Wild EW found only in narrow strip of Asia (note the shift here from traces of PAST EW to what is CURRENTLY found growing--this is a huge jump to make)
Oldest EW traces in same strip
Therefore, EW first cult in same strip

FQ, the reason why D strengthens the argument is that it controls for a condition that could vary dramatically. What if wild emmer wheat is only found now in that narrow strip because 10 years ago a volcano erupted there and wild emmer wheat really likes to grow in volcanic ash? (That's a silly and extreme example, but I hope it illustrates my point). If the climate has been the same ever since wild wheat became domesticated, then it's less likely that the wild emmer wheat--which we only have evidence of in the *present moment*--came here later. It's like the control condition in a scientific experiment---control as much as you can so you can isolate the variable you're looking closely at.

If you didn't have a "gut" reaction like MC did, you can still use the scope of the argument, as mads did, to quickly eliminate A, B, and C. Choice D makes the conditions around the argument more precise, choice E makes the conditions muddier (and therefore weakens).
_________________


JP Park | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Los Angeles

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Aug 2008
Posts: 186
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT prep quest [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2010, 00:32
I will go with D
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 08 Sep 2010
Posts: 237
Location: India
WE 1: 6 Year, Telecom(GSM)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT prep quest [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2010, 02:12
D.Somewhat easy.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 May 2010
Posts: 226
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT prep quest [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2010, 07:11
It's all about the location. D it is.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 03 Nov 2005
Posts: 399
Location: Chicago, IL
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMAT prep quest [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2010, 13:34
[quote="mehdiov"]Traces of cultivated emmer wheat have been found among the earliest agricultural remains of many archaeological sites in Europe and Asia. The only place where the wild form of emmer wheat has been found growing is a relatively narrow strip of southwest Asia. Since the oldest remains of cultivated emmer wheat yet found are from village sites in the same narrow strip, it is clear that emmer wheat was first domesticated somewhere in that strip.

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument?

(A) The present-day distribution of another wild wheat, einkorn, which was also domesticated early in the development of agriculture, covers a much larger area of southwest Asia. Irrelevant

(B) Modern experiments show that wild emmer wheat can easily be domesticated so as to yield nearly as well as traditionally domestic strains. Slightly Weakens

(C) At the time when emmer wheat was first cultivated, it was the most nutritious of all the varieties of grain that were then cultivated. Irrelevant

(D) In the region containing the strip where wild emmer wheat has been found, climatic conditions have changed very little since before the development of agriculture. Bingo!

(E) It is very difficult, without genetic testing, to differentiate the wild form of emmer wheat from a closely related wild wheat that also grows in southwest Asia.
Weakens
_________________

Hard work is the main determinant of success

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: what we want to do, do it as soon as possible
Joined: 24 May 2010
Posts: 115
Location: Vietnam
WE 1: 5.0
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 315

Re: CR: Interesting one [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2010, 06:05
Swagatalakshmi wrote:
Traces of cultivated emmer wheat have been found among the earliest agricultural remains of many archeological sites in Europe and Asia. The only place where the wild form of emmer wheat has been found growing is a relatively narrow strip of southwest Asia. Since the oldest remains of cultivated emmer wheat yet found are from village sites in the same narrow strip, it is clear that emmer wheat was first domesticated somewhere in that strip.

Which of the following, if, true, most strengthen the arguerment?

A) The present-day distribution of another wild wheat, einkon, which was also domesticated early in the development of agriculture, covers a much larger area of southwest Asia.

B) Modern experiments show that wild emmer wheat can easily be domesticated so as to yield nearly as well as traditionally domestic strains.

C) At the time when emmer wheat was first cultivated, it was the most nutritious of all the varieties of grain that were then cultivated.

D) In the region containing the strip where wild emmer wheat has been found, climatic conditions have changed very little since before the development of agriculture.

E) It is very diffucult, without genetic testing, to differentiate the wild form of emmer wheat from a closely related wild wheat that also grows in southwest Asia.

If you can't explain your answer, we have nothing to learn from you ....

We have two kinds of wheat mentioned in the premises above:
1. wild emmer wheat
2. cultivated emmer wheat
---> Conclusion: wild wheat was cultivated first in the strip (the scope to follow)
(A): irrelevant as the premise is talking about "emmer wheat" not "another wild wheat, einkon"
(B): irrelevant as the fact that wild emmer wheat easily yield like traditionally domestic wheat does not prove anything that wild emmer wheat was first domesticated in the place. (B) might also weaken the argument by saying that this kind of wheat is very easy to cultivated so it can be done in anywhere not only. What if the very strong storm wind the wild wheat seat to further area and was cultivated in the place rather than the strip (just my imagination but hope you can understand my point)
(C) irrelevant as "the most nutrious of all the varieties of grain" wont affect the conclusion above.
(D): might be correct because it related to the unchanged conditions where emmer wheat "since before the development of agriculture." We can assure this answer by negate the answer by saying that "climatic conditions have not changed very little". If so, there's alot of negative effects which can affect the cultivation of the wheat
(E): weaken the argument as it possibly misunderstood emmer wheat with other kinds of wheat --> how we can assure that the emmer wheat was first cultivated there if we even hardly distinguise wheat?? By saying addtiontionally "without genetic testing" also wont work here as it makes irrelevant to support when and where the wheat was domesticated.



I just brief some of my thoughts. Hope it can help and please correct me if i've made mistake somewhere.
_________________

Consider giving me kudos if you find my explanations helpful so i can learn how to express ideas to people more understandable.

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4785
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1123

Kudos [?]: 5093 [0], given: 164

Re: CR: Interesting one [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2010, 06:31
Expert's post
MICKEYXITIN wrote:
Swagatalakshmi wrote:
Traces of cultivated emmer wheat have been found among the earliest agricultural remains of many archeological sites in Europe and Asia. The only place where the wild form of emmer wheat has been found growing is a relatively narrow strip of southwest Asia. Since the oldest remains of cultivated emmer wheat yet found are from village sites in the same narrow strip, it is clear that emmer wheat was first domesticated somewhere in that strip.

Which of the following, if, true, most strengthen the arguerment?

A) The present-day distribution of another wild wheat, einkon, which was also domesticated early in the development of agriculture, covers a much larger area of southwest Asia.

B) Modern experiments show that wild emmer wheat can easily be domesticated so as to yield nearly as well as traditionally domestic strains.

C) At the time when emmer wheat was first cultivated, it was the most nutritious of all the varieties of grain that were then cultivated.

D) In the region containing the strip where wild emmer wheat has been found, climatic conditions have changed very little since before the development of agriculture.

E) It is very diffucult, without genetic testing, to differentiate the wild form of emmer wheat from a closely related wild wheat that also grows in southwest Asia.

If you can't explain your answer, we have nothing to learn from you ....

We have two kinds of wheat mentioned in the premises above:
1. wild emmer wheat
2. cultivated emmer wheat
---> Conclusion: wild wheat was cultivated first in the strip (the scope to follow)
(A): irrelevant as the premise is talking about "emmer wheat" not "another wild wheat, einkon"
(B): irrelevant as the fact that wild emmer wheat easily yield like traditionally domestic wheat does not prove anything that wild emmer wheat was first domesticated in the place. (B) might also weaken the argument by saying that this kind of wheat is very easy to cultivated so it can be done in anywhere not only. What if the very strong storm wind the wild wheat seat to further area and was cultivated in the place rather than the strip (just my imagination but hope you can understand my point)
(C) irrelevant as "the most nutrious of all the varieties of grain" wont affect the conclusion above.
(D): might be correct because it related to the unchanged conditions where emmer wheat "since before the development of agriculture." We can assure this answer by negate the answer by saying that "climatic conditions have not changed very little". If so, there's alot of negative effects which can affect the cultivation of the wheat
(E): weaken the argument as it possibly misunderstood emmer wheat with other kinds of wheat --> how we can assure that the emmer wheat was first cultivated there if we even hardly distinguise wheat?? By saying addtiontionally "without genetic testing" also wont work here as it makes irrelevant to support when and where the wheat was domesticated.



I just brief some of my thoughts. Hope it can help and please correct me if i've made mistake somewhere.


You are right. You have explained perfectly why B is not the answer. Let me give you the reason why D IS the answer.
D says: "In the region containing the strip where wild emmer wheat has been found, climatic conditions have changed very little since before the development of agriculture."
and we know that wild emmer wheat is still flourishing in that strip. If the climatic conditions were the same before the development of agriculture, it increases the possibility that wild emmer wheat flourished at that time too. Hence the people of that strip could have domesticated it. Therefore, (D) strengthens the argument. (Remember, it doesn't prove that emmer was first domesticated in that strip, it only increases the probability. That is what a strengthen option does.)
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 1634
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 244 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Interesting one [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2010, 03:01
Dont you think that you are assuming too much?

VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
MICKEYXITIN wrote:
Swagatalakshmi wrote:
Traces of cultivated emmer wheat have been found among the earliest agricultural remains of many archeological sites in Europe and Asia. The only place where the wild form of emmer wheat has been found growing is a relatively narrow strip of southwest Asia. Since the oldest remains of cultivated emmer wheat yet found are from village sites in the same narrow strip, it is clear that emmer wheat was first domesticated somewhere in that strip.

Which of the following, if, true, most strengthen the arguerment?

A) The present-day distribution of another wild wheat, einkon, which was also domesticated early in the development of agriculture, covers a much larger area of southwest Asia.

B) Modern experiments show that wild emmer wheat can easily be domesticated so as to yield nearly as well as traditionally domestic strains.

C) At the time when emmer wheat was first cultivated, it was the most nutritious of all the varieties of grain that were then cultivated.

D) In the region containing the strip where wild emmer wheat has been found, climatic conditions have changed very little since before the development of agriculture.

E) It is very diffucult, without genetic testing, to differentiate the wild form of emmer wheat from a closely related wild wheat that also grows in southwest Asia.

If you can't explain your answer, we have nothing to learn from you ....

We have two kinds of wheat mentioned in the premises above:
1. wild emmer wheat
2. cultivated emmer wheat
---> Conclusion: wild wheat was cultivated first in the strip (the scope to follow)
(A): irrelevant as the premise is talking about "emmer wheat" not "another wild wheat, einkon"
(B): irrelevant as the fact that wild emmer wheat easily yield like traditionally domestic wheat does not prove anything that wild emmer wheat was first domesticated in the place. (B) might also weaken the argument by saying that this kind of wheat is very easy to cultivated so it can be done in anywhere not only. What if the very strong storm wind the wild wheat seat to further area and was cultivated in the place rather than the strip (just my imagination but hope you can understand my point)
(C) irrelevant as "the most nutrious of all the varieties of grain" wont affect the conclusion above.
(D): might be correct because it related to the unchanged conditions where emmer wheat "since before the development of agriculture." We can assure this answer by negate the answer by saying that "climatic conditions have not changed very little". If so, there's alot of negative effects which can affect the cultivation of the wheat
(E): weaken the argument as it possibly misunderstood emmer wheat with other kinds of wheat --> how we can assure that the emmer wheat was first cultivated there if we even hardly distinguise wheat?? By saying addtiontionally "without genetic testing" also wont work here as it makes irrelevant to support when and where the wheat was domesticated.



I just brief some of my thoughts. Hope it can help and please correct me if i've made mistake somewhere.


You are right. You have explained perfectly why B is not the answer. Let me give you the reason why D IS the answer.
D says: "In the region containing the strip where wild emmer wheat has been found, climatic conditions have changed very little since before the development of agriculture."
and we know that wild emmer wheat is still flourishing in that strip. If the climatic conditions were the same before the development of agriculture, it increases the possibility that wild emmer wheat flourished at that time too. Hence the people of that strip could have domesticated it. Therefore, (D) strengthens the argument. (Remember, it doesn't prove that emmer was first domesticated in that strip, it only increases the probability. That is what a strengthen option does.)

_________________

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit


Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4785
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1123

Kudos [?]: 5093 [0], given: 164

Re: CR: Interesting one [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2010, 07:46
Expert's post
noboru wrote:
Dont you think that you are assuming too much?



I probably am assuming the implications. But the point is that we need to strengthen the argument. Not make it valid. Which means I have to look for data that makes the conclusion even more possible, not necessarily establish it beyond doubt. This is the only option that does so because of what it implies.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 1634
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 244 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Interesting one [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2010, 12:39
OK, I guess that if an answer strengthenes the conclusion at least 1%, that is OK.

VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
noboru wrote:
Dont you think that you are assuming too much?



I probably am assuming the implications. But the point is that we need to strengthen the argument. Not make it valid. Which means I have to look for data that makes the conclusion even more possible, not necessarily establish it beyond doubt. This is the only option that does so because of what it implies.

_________________

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit


Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4785
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1123

Kudos [?]: 5093 [0], given: 164

Re: CR: Interesting one [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2010, 13:21
Expert's post
noboru wrote:
OK, I guess that if an answer strengthenes the conclusion at least 1%, that is OK.


Either an option strengthens the conclusion (to whatever degree - it's hard to quantify) or it doesn't.
Also, the higher questions require you to consider the implications of what is given i.e. to think a step ahead.
And, all questions are not perfect. We need to make the best of whatever is given to us and select one out of the given 5. In many questions, we could debate that none of the options are perfect but the point is, you have to choose one.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Apr 2010
Posts: 216
Schools: ISB, HEC, Said
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 28

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Interesting one [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2010, 22:00
Nice question. What is the source?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: what we want to do, do it as soon as possible
Joined: 24 May 2010
Posts: 115
Location: Vietnam
WE 1: 5.0
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 315

Re: CR: Interesting one [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2010, 09:20
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
noboru wrote:
OK, I guess that if an answer strengthenes the conclusion at least 1%, that is OK.


Either an option strengthens the conclusion (to whatever degree - it's hard to quantify) or it doesn't.
Also, the higher questions require you to consider the implications of what is given i.e. to think a step ahead.
And, all questions are not perfect. We need to make the best of whatever is given to us and select one out of the given 5. In many questions, we could debate that none of the options are perfect but the point is, you have to choose one.

@ Noboru & VeritasPrepKarishma: thank you for sharing some of your opinions which help me get deeper thought on this argument. I think your opinion of strengthening argument that just "strengthen the conclusion at least 1%" is possible. I read this in the "The PowerScore LSAT Logical Reasoning Bible" and see it helpful in several cases. for me, in case the answer is too blur to be assured, we can navigate the option to see if the option is negated, whether it weakens the argument. that's the way i often use.
_________________

Consider giving me kudos if you find my explanations helpful so i can learn how to express ideas to people more understandable.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Status: Do and Die!!
Joined: 15 Sep 2010
Posts: 333
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 193

Re: CR: Interesting one [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2010, 09:29
good one +1
_________________

I'm the Dumbest of All !!

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: what we want to do, do it as soon as possible
Joined: 24 May 2010
Posts: 115
Location: Vietnam
WE 1: 5.0
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 315

Re: CR: Interesting one [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2010, 09:34
Karisma wrote:
D says: "In the region containing the strip where wild emmer wheat has been found, climatic conditions have changed very little since before the development of agriculture."
and we know that wild emmer wheat is still flourishing in that strip. If the climatic conditions were the same before the development of agriculture, it increases the possibility that wild emmer wheat flourished at that time too. Hence the people of that strip could have domesticated it. Therefore, (D) strengthens the argument. (Remember, it doesn't prove that emmer was first domesticated in that strip, it only increases the probability. That is what a strengthen option does.)[/quote][/quote]


i guess i've caught your idea Karisma. If the climate conditions have changed very little, this fact increases the possibility that wild emmer wheat has been there for such a long time.
thanks for shedding me some lights :)
_________________

Consider giving me kudos if you find my explanations helpful so i can learn how to express ideas to people more understandable.

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: One last try =,=
Joined: 11 Jun 2010
Posts: 135
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 28

Emmer wheat [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2011, 00:46
Traces of cultivated emmer wheat have been found among the earliest agricultural remains of many archaeological sites in Europe and Asia. The only place where the wild form of emmer wheat has been found growing is a relatively narrow strip of southwest Asia. Since the oldest remains of cultivated emmer wheat yet found are from village sites in the same narrow strip, it is clear that emmer wheat was first domesticated somewhere in that strip.

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument?

(A) The present-day distribution of another wild wheat, einkorn, which was also domesticated early in the development of agriculture, covers a much larger area of southwest Asia.
(B) Modern experiments show that wild emmer wheat can easily be domesticated so as to yield nearly as well as traditionally domestic strains.
(C) At the time when emmer wheat was first cultivated, it was the most nutritious of all the varieties of grain that were then cultivated.
(D) In the region containing the strip where wild emmer wheat has been found, climatic conditions have changed very little since before the development of agriculture.
(E) It is very difficult, without genetic testing, to differentiate the wild form of emmer wheat from a closely related wild wheat that also grows in southwest Asia.

Please help to justify the correct answer.
Thanks
_________________

There can be Miracles when you believe

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2008
Posts: 232
Location: India
WE 1: 3.75 IT
WE 2: 1.0 IT
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [1] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Emmer wheat [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2011, 01:07
1
This post received
KUDOS
Argument: Traces of cultivated emmer wheat found in Europe and Asia.
Wild form of emmer wheat found growing in southwest Asia.
Emmer wheat was first domesticated somewhere in that strip.


(A) The present-day distribution of another wild wheat, einkorn, which was also domesticated early in the development of agriculture, covers a much larger area of southwest Asia.

Doesn't strengthen.

(B) Modern experiments show that wild emmer wheat can easily be domesticated so as to yield nearly as well as traditionally domestic strains.

Doesn't strengthen.

(C) At the time when emmer wheat was first cultivated, it was the most nutritious of all the varieties of grain that were then cultivated.

Doesn't strengthen

(D) In the region containing the strip where wild emmer wheat has been found, climatic conditions have changed very little since before the development of agriculture.

Stregthens the argument which says Emmer wheat was domesticated in that strip becuase climatic changes have been minimal from the time duration of Wild Emmer wheat to a domesticated cultivated Emmer wheat.

(E) It is very difficult, without genetic testing, to differentiate the wild form of emmer wheat from a closely related wild wheat that also grows in southwest Asia.

Doesn't strengthen
_________________

Cheers,
Varun


If you like my post, give me KUDOS!!

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: It's "Go" Time.......
Affiliations: N.C.C.
Joined: 22 Feb 2011
Posts: 180
Location: India
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [2] , given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Emmer wheat [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2011, 06:33
2
This post received
KUDOS
used POE & zeroed in "D"
See explanation next to the options
windofchange wrote:
Traces of cultivated emmer wheat have been found among the earliest agricultural remains of many archaeological sites in Europe and Asia. The only place where the wild form of emmer wheat has been found growing is a relatively narrow strip of southwest Asia. Since the oldest remains of cultivated emmer wheat yet found are from village sites in the same narrow strip, it is clear that emmer wheat was first domesticated somewhere in that strip.

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument?

(A) The present-day distribution of another wild wheat, einkorn, which was also domesticated early in the development of agriculture, covers a much larger area of southwest Asia. Out of scope einkon's evaluation can't help to find the place where domestication of emmer was done first.
(B) Modern experiments show that wild emmer wheat can easily be domesticated so as to yield nearly as well as traditionally domestic strains. If it was easy to domesticate the emmer wheat then the probability of it being domesticated in "narrow strip" would be same as it being domesticated anywhere else
(C) At the time when emmer wheat was first cultivated, it was the most nutritious of all the varieties of grain that were then cultivated. Nutritious??...out of scope
(D) In the region containing the strip where wild emmer wheat has been found, climatic conditions have changed very little since before the development of agriculture.
(E) It is very difficult, without genetic testing, to differentiate the wild form of emmer wheat from a closely related wild wheat that also grows in southwest Asia. If this is true then it will weaken the argument!!

Please help to justify the correct answer.
Thanks

_________________

We are twice armed if we fight with faith.

He who knows when he can fight & when He can't will be victorious.

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Happy to join ROSS!
Joined: 29 Sep 2010
Posts: 279
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 102 [1] , given: 48

GMAT Tests User
Re: Emmer wheat [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2011, 11:55
1
This post received
KUDOS
Excellent question! After 2 min of thinking I selected D simply because it is the only question that does not weaken the argument! I still cannot understand how D actually strenghten the argument, but it does not matter: D is vague answer, but all the other answers are just WRONG.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Oct 2010
Posts: 411
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 46 [1] , given: 115

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Emmer wheat [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2011, 12:04
1
This post received
KUDOS
Agree with Vorskl D is the best answer here. It does not weaken the answer and instead says that the climatic conditions did not change. So we are ruling out a possibility that could weaken the passage, in other words we are more tilted toward strenthening the passage by choosing this answer. Hence, correct answer.
Re: Emmer wheat   [#permalink] 18 Apr 2011, 12:04
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic Traces of cultivated emmer wheat have been found souvik101990 6 25 Aug 2014, 12:29
5 Experts publish their posts in the topic Researchers have found that individuals who have been blind Abdul29 17 16 Feb 2014, 09:54
1 Historians of film have traced the first appearance of the soumyaranjandash 7 23 Aug 2012, 08:47
4 Using new detection techniques, researchers have found trace monikaleoster 4 31 Mar 2012, 09:26
Houses built during the last ten years have been found to aurobindo 10 06 Dec 2006, 07:14
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Traces of cultivated emmer wheat have been found among the

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 72 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.