Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 01:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Traces of cultivated emmer wheat have been found among the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 288 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Emmer wheat [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2011, 21:04
I also got D by POE.

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 4

Re: Emmer wheat [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2011, 21:15
hmm tough one ..
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 136 [1] , given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Emmer wheat [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2011, 21:24
This post received
KUDOS
windofchange wrote:
Traces of cultivated emmer wheat have been found among the earliest agricultural remains of many archaeological sites in Europe and Asia. The only place where the wild form of emmer wheat has been found growing is a relatively narrow strip of southwest Asia. Since the oldest remains of cultivated emmer wheat yet found are from village sites in the same narrow strip, it is clear that emmer wheat was first domesticated somewhere in that strip.

---- Argument is strong.Hence defender answer choice will suffice the conclusion.
---- Conclusion intends that the emmer wheat was domesticated in the 'strip'.

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument?

(A) The present-day distribution of another wild wheat, einkorn, which was also domesticated early in the development of agriculture, covers a much larger area of southwest Asia. --- Out of scope.
(B) Modern experiments show that wild emmer wheat can easily be domesticated so as to yield nearly as well as traditionally domestic strains. -- Intention suggests that Wild Emmer can be domesticated.But it dosen't match with the conclusion. A possible SHELL GAME answer. Hence, POE.

(C) At the time when emmer wheat was first cultivated, it was the most nutritious of all the varieties of grain that were then cultivated. -- Out of scope.

(D) In the region containing the strip where wild emmer wheat has been found, climatic conditions have changed very little since before the development of agriculture. -- Meaning that the conditions have helped Wild Emmer domestication. Hold it.
(E) It is very difficult, without genetic testing, to differentiate the wild form of emmer wheat from a closely related wild wheat that also grows in southwest Asia. -- Opposite answer. POE.

Please help to justify the correct answer.
Thanks

Hence IMO D.

thank you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Columbia, INSEAD, RSM, LBS
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Emmer wheat [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2011, 05:08
D
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 28

Re: Emmer wheat [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2011, 05:28
Thank you guys for your answer.
In this problem, it is not at all clear why the correct answer is correct :-D.
POE seems to work here.
Though I cannot justify why D is correct, I think that choice D plays a role of finding a missing link between the premise and the conclusion. The premise mentions the place where the wild form of wheat is found- a narrow strip of southwest Asia, then the argument concludes that "emmer wheat was first domesticated somewhere in that strip". Maybe the minimal change of climatic conditions facilitate the emmer wheat to grow in the same strip.

There can be Miracles when you believe

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 40 [1] , given: 115

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Emmer wheat [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2011, 07:22
This post received
KUDOS
Windofchange,

Let me try this one again :)

The conclusion of this passage is - it is clear that emmer wheat was first domesticated somewhere in that strip.

(A) The present-day distribution of another wild wheat, einkorn, which was also domesticated early in the development of agriculture, covers a much larger area of southwest Asia.We are not concerned with the growth of einkorn or the areas that it covers
(B) Modern experiments show that wild emmer wheat can easily be domesticated so as to yield nearly as well as traditionally domestic strains.this statement talks about the process of domestication, this is irrelevant to our discussion of location of the wheat grown
(C) At the time when emmer wheat was first cultivated, it was the most nutritious of all the varieties of grain that were then cultivated.Again, nutrition is irrelevant.
(D) In the region containing the strip where wild emmer wheat has been found, climatic conditions have changed very little since before the development of agriculture.This option rules out the possibility that climatic conditions could cause any change in the strip. This implies that one event/possibility that could possibly weaken the conclusion is actually being removed here . Hence, strengthens the conclusion of the passage.This is the best answer.
(E) It is very difficult, without genetic testing, to differentiate the wild form of emmer wheat from a closely related wild wheat that also grows in southwest Asia.This one talks only about wild wheat testing. Not really tied to conclusion.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 36 [1] , given: 28

Re: Emmer wheat [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2011, 07:30
This post received
KUDOS
heygirl wrote:
Windofchange,

The conclusion of this passage is - it is clear that emmer wheat was first domesticated somewhere in that strip.

(A) The present-day distribution of another wild wheat, einkorn, which was also domesticated early in the development of agriculture, covers a much larger area of southwest Asia.We are not concerned with the growth of einkorn or the areas that it covers
(B) Modern experiments show that wild emmer wheat can easily be domesticated so as to yield nearly as well as traditionally domestic strains.this statement talks about the process of domestication, this is irrelevant to our discussion of location of the wheat grown
(C) At the time when emmer wheat was first cultivated, it was the most nutritious of all the varieties of grain that were then cultivated.Again, nutrition is irrelevant.
(D) In the region containing the strip where wild emmer wheat has been found, climatic conditions have changed very little since before the development of agriculture.This option rules out the possibility that climatic conditions could cause any change in the strip. This implies that one event/possibility that could possibly weaken the conclusion is actually being removed here . Hence, strengthens the conclusion of the passage.This is the best answer.
(E) It is very difficult, without genetic testing, to differentiate the wild form of emmer wheat from a closely related wild wheat that also grows in southwest Asia.This one talks only about wild wheat testing. Not really tied to conclusion.

Heygirl,
well played ;) ! I couldn't agree more! :-D
+1

There can be Miracles when you believe

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 115

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Emmer wheat [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2011, 07:34
Thanks and glad you got it...Good Luck windofchange :-)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: Emmer wheat [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2011, 05:34
I do not see D is a strengthener. Please, tell me the assumption of this strengthener.

because a strengthener must validate an assumption. Where is the assumption of D?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: Emmer wheat [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2011, 16:57
D seems to be the best of the lot

My will shall shape the future. Whether I fail or succeed shall be no man's doing but my own.

If you like my explanations award kudos.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: Emmer wheat [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2011, 16:57
tough one though

My will shall shape the future. Whether I fail or succeed shall be no man's doing but my own.

If you like my explanations award kudos.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 20

Re: Emmer wheat [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2011, 02:56
I got this one wrong but I still dont understand how D strengthen's the argument :(
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 193

Re: Emmer wheat [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2011, 09:14
rohitgoel15 wrote:
I got this one wrong but I still dont understand how D strengthen's the argument :(

Try POE method,

I'm the Dumbest of All !!

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 07-16-2012
GPA: 3.4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 25

Reviews Badge
Re: Emmer wheat [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2011, 01:18
D is the only answer choise which does not weakens the argument. looking at the options D should be the answer

-------Analyze why option A in SC wrong-------

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: None
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V27
GPA: 3.01
WE: Sales (Manufacturing)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 32

Re: Emmer wheat [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2011, 02:47
Best of All is D
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-21-2011

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Emmer wheat [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2011, 20:46
heygirl wrote:
Windofchange,

Thanks for this! :)

"The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own. No apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on, or blame. The gift is yours - it is an amazing journey - and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins." - Bob Moawab

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Interesting one [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2011, 02:27
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
MICKEYXITIN wrote:
Swagatalakshmi wrote:
Traces of cultivated emmer wheat have been found among the earliest agricultural remains of many archeological sites in Europe and Asia. The only place where the wild form of emmer wheat has been found growing is a relatively narrow strip of southwest Asia. Since the oldest remains of cultivated emmer wheat yet found are from village sites in the same narrow strip, it is clear that emmer wheat was first domesticated somewhere in that strip.

Which of the following, if, true, most strengthen the arguerment?

A) The present-day distribution of another wild wheat, einkon, which was also domesticated early in the development of agriculture, covers a much larger area of southwest Asia.

B) Modern experiments show that wild emmer wheat can easily be domesticated so as to yield nearly as well as traditionally domestic strains.

C) At the time when emmer wheat was first cultivated, it was the most nutritious of all the varieties of grain that were then cultivated.

D) In the region containing the strip where wild emmer wheat has been found, climatic conditions have changed very little since before the development of agriculture.

E) It is very diffucult, without genetic testing, to differentiate the wild form of emmer wheat from a closely related wild wheat that also grows in southwest Asia.

If you can't explain your answer, we have nothing to learn from you ....

We have two kinds of wheat mentioned in the premises above:
1. wild emmer wheat
2. cultivated emmer wheat
---> Conclusion: wild wheat was cultivated first in the strip (the scope to follow)
(A): irrelevant as the premise is talking about "emmer wheat" not "another wild wheat, einkon"
(B): irrelevant as the fact that wild emmer wheat easily yield like traditionally domestic wheat does not prove anything that wild emmer wheat was first domesticated in the place. (B) might also weaken the argument by saying that this kind of wheat is very easy to cultivated so it can be done in anywhere not only. What if the very strong storm wind the wild wheat seat to further area and was cultivated in the place rather than the strip (just my imagination but hope you can understand my point)
(C) irrelevant as "the most nutrious of all the varieties of grain" wont affect the conclusion above.
(D): might be correct because it related to the unchanged conditions where emmer wheat "since before the development of agriculture." We can assure this answer by negate the answer by saying that "climatic conditions have not changed very little". If so, there's alot of negative effects which can affect the cultivation of the wheat
(E): weaken the argument as it possibly misunderstood emmer wheat with other kinds of wheat --> how we can assure that the emmer wheat was first cultivated there if we even hardly distinguise wheat?? By saying addtiontionally "without genetic testing" also wont work here as it makes irrelevant to support when and where the wheat was domesticated.

I just brief some of my thoughts. Hope it can help and please correct me if i've made mistake somewhere.

You are right. You have explained perfectly why B is not the answer. Let me give you the reason why D IS the answer.
D says: "In the region containing the strip where wild emmer wheat has been found, climatic conditions have changed very little since before the development of agriculture."
and we know that wild emmer wheat is still flourishing in that strip. If the climatic conditions were the same before the development of agriculture, it increases the possibility that wild emmer wheat flourished at that time too. Hence the people of that strip could have domesticated it. Therefore, (D) strengthens the argument. (Remember, it doesn't prove that emmer was first domesticated in that strip, it only increases the probability. That is what a strengthen option does.)

Karisma, I appreciate your reply. But can you show the assumption which D increases the belief in. Kaplan classic method said that a strengthener is an assumption or new information which increases the belief in an assumption. that is the way a strengthener increases the belief in conclusion.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1091

Kudos [?]: 4890 [0], given: 163

Re: CR: Interesting one [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2011, 09:43
Expert's post
thangvietnam wrote:
Swagatalakshmi wrote:
Traces of cultivated emmer wheat have been found among the earliest agricultural remains of many archeological sites in Europe and Asia. The only place where the wild form of emmer wheat has been found growing is a relatively narrow strip of southwest Asia. Since the oldest remains of cultivated emmer wheat yet found are from village sites in the same narrow strip, it is clear that emmer wheat was first domesticated somewhere in that strip.

A) The present-day distribution of another wild wheat, einkon, which was also domesticated early in the development of agriculture, covers a much larger area of southwest Asia.

B) Modern experiments show that wild emmer wheat can easily be domesticated so as to yield nearly as well as traditionally domestic strains.

C) At the time when emmer wheat was first cultivated, it was the most nutritious of all the varieties of grain that were then cultivated.

D) In the region containing the strip where wild emmer wheat has been found, climatic conditions have changed very little since before the development of agriculture.

E) It is very diffucult, without genetic testing, to differentiate the wild form of emmer wheat from a closely related wild wheat that also grows in southwest Asia.

Karisma, I appreciate your reply. But can you show the assumption which D increases the belief in. Kaplan classic method said that a strengthener is an assumption or new information which increases the belief in an assumption. that is the way a strengthener increases the belief in conclusion.

When you want to find the option that strengthens the argument, you need to find the option which strengthens the conclusion of the argument. Mind you, the given arguments are not perfect. You can always make them stronger/weaker. You have to identify the conclusion and then focus on strengthening it. The correct option makes the conclusion more believable. The conclusion is the main idea of the stimulus - it is the author's opinion based on the facts (the premises)

Here the conclusion is "emmer wheat was first domesticated somewhere in that strip."
We are given that wild emmer wheat has been growing in that strip and oldest remains of cultivated wheat have also been found in that strip itself.
An assumption here is that wild emmer wheat flourished in that region before the development of agriculture too. (that is how it could have been domesticated there)
By saying that the "climatic conditions have changed very little since before the development of agriculture", we are increasing the chances that wild emmer wheat flourished in that strip since before the development of agriculture. (The climatic conditions are favorable today and were the same at that time too.)
This strengthens the conclusion that emmer wheat was first domesticated somewhere in that strip. We don't establish the conclusion, we just make it more probable.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Interesting one [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2011, 11:30

what we have to stregthen here is that cultivated wheat was first domesticated in the strip where wild form of wheat was already found. Since B states that it is easy to domesticate wild emmer wheat, doesnt this prove that it was more likely to first find cultivated wheat in the area where wild wheat was already thriving? That cultivated wheat was an easy or natural progression in the region? The passage clearly mentions that wild wheat was only found in that strip.
While D could strengthen the fact or rather explain why the oldest forms of wild emmer wheat are still found in the region containing the strip ("Since the oldest remains of cultivated emmer wheat yet found are from village sites in the same narrow strip") i guess it provides an explanation to this fact stated in the stimulus, it doesnt necessarily explain why cultivated wheat was first domesticated in the region
Director
Director
Status: My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 57

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: CR: Interesting one [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2011, 12:50
The official answer is D.....Apart from this none of the answer choices are strengthening the stimulus......rather rest of them are weakening it.....

General GMAT useful links-->

Indian Bschools Accepting Gmat | My Gmat Daily Diary | All Gmat Practice CAT's | MBA Ranking 2013 | How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale | GMAT MATH BOOK in downloadable PDF format| POWERSCORE CRITICAL REASONING BIBLE - FULL CHAPTER NOTES | Result correlation between GMAT and GMAT Club's Tests | Best GMAT Stories - Period!

More useful links-->

GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios| GMAT and MBA 101|Everything You Need to Prepare for the GMAT|New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>|GMAT ToolKit: iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android application|

Verbal Treasure Hunt-->

"Ultimate" Study Plan for Verbal on the GMAT|Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read)|Best Verbal GMAT Books 2012|Carcass Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section|Ultimate GMAT Grammar Book from GC club [Free Download]|Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia|Souvik's The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC|ALL SC Rules+Official Qs by Experts & Legendary Club Members|Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik|Critical Reasoning Shortcuts and Tips|Critical Reasoning Megathread!|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- CR|GMAT Club's Reading Comprehension Strategy Guide|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- RC|Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia|ALL RC Strategy+Official Q by Experts&Legendary Club Members

----
---
--
-

1 KUDOS = 1 THANK

Kick Ass Gmat

Re: CR: Interesting one   [#permalink] 26 Sep 2011, 12:50