Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 21:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Traditionally, the study of history has had fixed boundaries

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
GMAT Pill Representative
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 114

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 4

Re: Traditionally, the study of history has had fixed boundaries [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2013, 11:36
Hi Shakti,

Let me see if I can help. Here is 26:

26. The author of the passage puts the word “deepest” (line 44) in quotation marks most probably in order to. So - we are looking for a reason why a word is put into speech marks. So we're looking for a hint that the author gives us to his intended meaning by using this device. So just as '?' tells us something (that we have sjust read a question) so to does '". It's clearly not the most obvious reason (direct speech) - so we're looking for something else.

(A) signal her reservations about the accuracy of psychohistorians’ claims for their workThis is the one that makes sense. By quoting something, and so putting it as a word used by someone else (like you are when you quote speech) you are showing that this is not a word you as the author would use. This also makes sense within the flow of the argument 0 - that our author is skeptical about the claims

Does that make sense?

James

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: 324 Q170 V154
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Traditionally, the study of history has had fixed boundaries [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2013, 20:42
plumber250 wrote:
Hi Shakti,

Let me see if I can help. Here is 26:

26. The author of the passage puts the word “deepest” (line 44) in quotation marks most probably in order to. So - we are looking for a reason why a word is put into speech marks. So we're looking for a hint that the author gives us to his intended meaning by using this device. So just as '?' tells us something (that we have sjust read a question) so to does '". It's clearly not the most obvious reason (direct speech) - so we're looking for something else.

(A) signal her reservations about the accuracy of psychohistorians’ claims for their workThis is the one that makes sense. By quoting something, and so putting it as a word used by someone else (like you are when you quote speech) you are showing that this is not a word you as the author would use. This also makes sense within the flow of the argument 0 - that our author is skeptical about the claims

Does that make sense?

James

Yea thanks for the explanation..
I was confused between A and B at first, although I was not sure about the reason. Now it is clear and A makes more sense than B.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Traditionally, the study of history has had fixed boundaries [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2013, 00:23
shakti751 wrote:
Can any one explain the logic for 26th one? I am getting no clue why the author quoted the word...

The line 44 says "Psychohistorians, convinced of the absolute rightness of their own theories, are also convinced that theirs is the “deepest” explanation of any event, that other explanations fall short of the truth."

As per my understanding, in putting the word deepest in quotes, the author is critical of the Psychohistorians ways and thinks they may not be right in assuming that their theories are absolutely right. Hence, she is, in a way, questioning the accuracy of their claims.

26. The author of the passage puts the word “deepest” (line 44) in quotation marks most probably in order to
(A) signal her reservations about the accuracy of psychohistorians’ claims for their work
(B) draw attention to a contradiction in the psychohistorians’ method
(C) emphasize the major difference between the traditional historians’ method and that of psychohistorians
(D) disassociate her opinion of the psychohistorians’ claims from her opinion of their method
(E) question the usefulness of psychohistorians’ insights into traditional historical scholarship
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT Date: 08-02-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 34

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Traditionally, the study of history has had fixed boundaries [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2013, 09:16
shakti751 wrote:
Can any one explain the logic for 26th one? I am getting no clue why the author quoted the word...

14 minutes
Made short notes for the passage.

Answers
A
A
C-- got this wrong
E
C
D
A

The logic for Q 26 as per my understanding : "And it violates the basic tenet of historical method: that historians be alert to the negative instances that would refute their theses. Psychohistorians, convinced of the absolute rightness of their own theories, are also convinced that theirs is the “deepest” explanation of any event, that other "

The way i thought of it as "So as it violates the basic tenet of historical method , it cannot be the deepest explanation"

--It's one thing to get defeated, but another to accept it.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 78

Re: Traditionally, the study of history has had fixed boundaries [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2014, 23:12
Quote:
20. Which of the following best states the main point of the passage?
(A) The approach of psychohistorians to historical study is currently in vogue even though it lacks the rigor and verifiability of traditional historical method.

Can somebody explain me how you found support in the passage for option A. 'Lacks rigor and verifiability'??
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Traditionally, the study of history has had fixed boundaries [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2014, 00:48
A
E
C
B
C
E
A
i got 4 correct out of 7
i think it is a good score
made silly mistakes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 116

Re: Traditionally, the study of history has had fixed boundaries [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2014, 21:35
Took 18 minutes
Got 4 correct, 4 incorrect :(
Re: Traditionally, the study of history has had fixed boundaries   [#permalink] 22 Feb 2014, 21:35