Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2014, 18:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Traffic in India

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Traffic in India [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2006, 16:03
Some of you may have seen it already, but here is an interesting view of india traffic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg9f93gpfbo
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2006, 16:57
Funnie! Excellent vdo... India is an epitome of Chaos Theory. Everything is chaotic... yet together everything seems to be moving along slowly!
CEO
CEO
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2006, 20:33
This is too good. Though I have seen it, good to refresh the memory.

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2006, 05:30
I don't know whether to laugh or be even more scared of driving. This chaotic system can sustain itself for only sometime. Since the number of vehicles one the road is growing so fast, I am sure the system is cracking.

I worked in India during 1999-2000 and used to drive a Yamaha, 2-stroke motorcycle. Everytime I visit, it takes me almost a week to get used to the traffic. Most of my friends in India have switched from motorcycle to car, even though the commute time increases by >2X. Reason - in case they get into an accident, being in a car is much safer than being on a bike. In cities such as Bangalore, Chennai, Delhi.. for the most part there are traffic lights, law enforcement officers.. but its the highways that I am scared of.

My very close friend lost his father in a highway accident and his mother is suffering from paralysis. The sad part was that the driver of the truck didn't even stop to check if the people in the car he struck were dead or alive! Cops have a standard line of excuse, its hard to track 1 truck among millions of them and they have to "take care" of the other 100+ accidents the same day. Can't blame them too. Their cars don't have GPS or laptops with a database of truck drvers/license plates, but their cars do have a radio transmitter and an air conditioner (No wonder the cops get better sleep!)

Its still not all bad. The suburbs in big cities are are flourishing and employers are encouraging telecommute, flex-schedules ... Not expecting an overnite change, but a gradual improvement over the next 3-5 yrs. Wishful thining!?!

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."

- Bernard Edmonds

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2006, 20:27
This post received
KUDOS
Good clip :)

Everything grows from zero. Somehow, I've a positive view on Indian roads. It's a developing economy & there has been sudden pressure on the infrastructure during past 5 to 6 years. There were no proper roads, road dividers, very few signals (suited to traffic during that time) but now there are comparitively good roads, good dividers, good amount of automated signals, cops with modern equipmets etc. I agree that system should keep pace with demand but not to forget "it's a diverse country", not all money from tax can be poured into improvng infrastructure...& only very few % of population can pay the tax (apart from defaulters)

In short, definitely things are improving. Unfortunately, the clip above is not from the area where there is actually lot of hi tech equipments (signals etc) installed ;) so probably, not a good entity to comment on entire Indian traffic scenario :)

It's basically looking at a glass that is half filled & thinking whether the glass is half empty or half filled :-D The question to be asked is, "What am I doing, to improve this scene in my country?"

Disclaimer: Just my thoughts, absolutely nothing against/for anybody ;)
  [#permalink] 11 Aug 2006, 20:27