Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 17:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Train A leaves New York for Boston at 3 PM and travels at

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
8 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 50 [8] , given: 20

Train A leaves New York for Boston at 3 PM and travels at [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2010, 23:49
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

21% (03:00) correct 78% (02:42) wrong based on 1087 sessions
Train A leaves New York for Boston at 3 PM and travels at the constant speed of 100 mph. An hour later, it passes Train B, which is making the trip from Boston to New York at a constant speed. If Train B left Boston at 3:50 PM and if the combined travel time of the two trains is 2 hours, what time did Train B arrive in New York?

(1) Train B arrived in New York before Train A arrived in Boston.
(2) The distance between New York and Boston is greater than 140 miles.

Please help me know the difficulty level of this question. I was not able to solve it in even 5 mins :(
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
30 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3193

Kudos [?]: 21347 [30] , given: 2546

Re: Train A leaves New York [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2010, 02:34
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
rohitgoel15 wrote:
Train A leaves New York for Boston at 3 PM and travels at the constant speed of 100 mph. An hour later, it passes Train B, which is making the trip from Boston to New York at a constant speed. If Train B left Boston at 3:50 PM and if the combined travel time of the two trains is 2 hours, what time did Train B arrive in New York?

(A) Statement (1) alone is sufficient, but statement (2) alone is not sufficient.
(B) Statement (2) alone is sufficient, but statement (1) alone is not sufficient.
(C) BOTH statements TOGETHER are sufficient, but NEITHER statement ALONE is sufficient.
(D) Each statement ALONE is sufficient.
(E) Statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient.

Please help me know the difficulty level of this question. I was not able to solve it in even 5 mins :(

Let:
d be the distance between cities;
x be the rate of Train B.

"An hour later (so at 4:00PM), Train A passes Train B" --> before they pass each other A traveled 1 hour (4PM-3PM) and B traveled 1/6 hours (4PM-3:50PM).

"Combined travel time of the two trains is 2 hours" --> d/100(time to cover all distance for train A)+d/x(time to cover all distance for train B)=2 --> \frac{d}{100}+\frac{d}{x}=2;

As before they pass A traveled 100 miles (1 hour at 100 miles per hour), then distance to cover for B after they pass is this 100 miles and as B traveled x*1/6 miles before they pass (1/6 hour at x miles per hour), then distance to cover for A after they pass is this x*1/6 miles --> 100+\frac{x}{6}=d;

So, we have:
\frac{d}{100}+\frac{d}{x}=2 and 100+\frac{x}{6}=d.

Solving for d and x
d=150 and x=300;
OR:
d=\frac{800}{6}\approx{133.3} and x=200.

(1) Says that train B arrived before A.
If x=200 A arrives at 4:20, B at 4:30, not good;
If x=300 A arrives at 4:30, B at 4:20, OK.
Sufficient

(2) Says that d>140 --> d=150 --> x=300, arrival time for B 4:20. Sufficient

Answer D.

P.S. This is definitely a hard (700+) question.

Hope it's clear.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 20

Re: Train A leaves New York [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2010, 05:18
Nice explanation. Thanks Bunuel!
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 148

Kudos [?]: 487 [0], given: 527

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Train A leaves New York [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2011, 12:36
very good problem,

thank you Bunuel!

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Expert Post
13 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1013

Kudos [?]: 4324 [13] , given: 161

Re: Train A leaves New York [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2011, 18:36
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Interesting question. I would like to share my thoughts on it. The first thing I notice is that the statements do not provide any concrete data. I cannot solve anything using them so most probably I will be able to get an answer from the data in the question stem but I will get multiple possible answers. The statements will probably help me choose one of them. (all a speculation based on the statements. The answer may be E) I know a quadratic gives me multiple answers.

Attachment:
Ques2.jpg
Ques2.jpg [ 5.7 KiB | Viewed 16667 times ]

The diagram above incorporates the data given in the question stem. Let x be the distance from meeting point to Boston.

Speed of train A = 100 mph
Speed of train B = x/(10 min) = 6x mph (converted min to hr)
Total time taken by both is 2 hrs. Already accounted for is 1hr + (1/6) hr
The remaining (5/6) hrs is the time needed by both together to reach their respective destinations.

Time taken by train A to reach B + time taken by train B to reach NY = 5/6
x/100 + 100/6x = 5/6
3x^2 - 250x + 5000 = 0 (Painful part of the question)
x = 50, 33.33

If x = 50, time taken by train A to reach B = 1/2 hr, time taken by train B to reach NY = 1/3 hr
If x = 33.33, time taken by train A to reach B = 1/3 hr, time taken by train B to reach NY = 1/2 hr
Since train B arrived first, x must be 50 and B must have arrived at 4:20. Sufficient.

x must be 50 to make total distance more than 140. Time taken by train B must be 1/3 hr and it must have arrived at 4:20. Sufficient.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Director
Director
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 177 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: Train A leaves New York [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2011, 20:24
Is there a intuitive way to solve this rather than with equations, quadratics. I guesses for a sec that A is very sufficient information. Since only two variables are unknown - distance covered by B before it intersects A and the speed of train B. Two variables and two equations will be fine.

But then I looked at B and suddenly the difficulty jumped up. A or D appear likely. I thought train B is super fast so increasing the distance will make even more likely that train B arrives before A. This is the same as stem 1)

hence I guessed D.

VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Interesting question. I would like to share my thoughts on it. The first thing I notice is that the statements do not provide any concrete data. I cannot solve anything using them so most probably I will be able to get an answer from the data in the question stem but I will get multiple possible answers. The statements will probably help me choose one of them. (all a speculation based on the statements. The answer may be E) I know a quadratic gives me multiple answers.

Attachment:
Ques2.jpg

The diagram above incorporates the data given in the question stem. Let x be the distance from meeting point to Boston.

Speed of train A = 100 mph
Speed of train B = x/(10 min) = 6x mph (converted min to hr)
Total time taken by both is 2 hrs. Already accounted for is 1hr + (1/6) hr
The remaining (5/6) hrs is the time needed by both together to reach their respective destinations.

Time taken by train A to reach B + time taken by train B to reach NY = 5/6
x/100 + 100/6x = 5/6
3x^2 - 250x + 5000 = 0 (Painful part of the question)
x = 50, 33.33

If x = 50, time taken by train A to reach B = 1/2 hr, time taken by train B to reach NY = 1/3 hr
If x = 33.33, time taken by train A to reach B = 1/3 hr, time taken by train B to reach NY = 1/2 hr
Since train B arrived first, x must be 50 and B must have arrived at 4:20. Sufficient.

x must be 50 to make total distance more than 140. Time taken by train B must be 1/3 hr and it must have arrived at 4:20. Sufficient.
2 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 125

Kudos [?]: 863 [2] , given: 376

GMAT Tests User
Re: Train A leaves New York [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2011, 22:47
This post received
KUDOS
Phew!!! Difficult one for me; took me more than 3 minutes just to formulate the equation and more than 3 minutes to solve and arrive at conclusion.

Sol:
The total time is 2 hours

"A" traveled 100 miles in 1 hour when it met train B, which by then would have traveled 10 mins or 1/6 hours.

Let's take distance traveled by B in 10 minutes or 1/6 hours to be "x" miles. So; train A travels 100 miles + x miles and B travels x miles+ 100 miles

Now; let's just talk about time

A traveled 100 miles in 1 hour
A would have traveled x miles in x/100 hour

B traveled x miles in 1/6 hour
B would have traveled 100 miles in 100/(6x) hour

Total time combined is 2; Thus;

1+ x/100 + 1/6 + 100/(6x) = 2 ---> This is the equation

Solving the above; we get
3x^2-100x-150x+5000=0
(x-50)(3x-100)=0

x could be 50 miles
or
x could be 100/3 miles approx 33 miles

It says B arrived at NY before A arrived at Boston.

Say x=50
B spent 10 minutes to travel x miles or 50 miles
B will spend 20 minutes to travel remaining 100 miles

A spent x/100 hour to travel x miles means; 1/2 hour

As we can see after A and B met; B traveled 20 minutes and A 30 minutes.
This satisfies the statement 1 for x=50

Let's check x=33 as well
B spent 10 minutes to travel x miles or 33 miles
B will spend approx 30 minutes to travel 3 times the distance (100=3*33), which is remaining 100 miles.

A spent x/100 hour to travel x miles means; 33/100 hour approx 1/3 hours; 20 minutes approx

As we can see after A and B met; B traveled 30 minutes and A 20 minutes.
This will make statement 1 false. Thus x can't be 33.

We found unique solution for x=50.
Thus we know; train B arrived New York 30 minutes after it started. i.e. at 4:20PM

Sufficient.

This one is easy;
It says the distance > 140 miles
if x=33
Distance = 100+x = 133 <140
x=33 can't be true

if x=50
Distance = 100+x = 150 >140
x=50 is true

Sufficient.

Ans: "D"

~fluke

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Train A leaves New York [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2011, 11:14
I have one question to all of you ! Why havent you taken into consideration relative speed concept ????

if you take that the equations will be completely different
Director
Director
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 177 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: Train A leaves New York [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2011, 17:05
This is not true. Well relative speed is not an elixir. Its derivative and based on usual speed distance formula. It niether changes the variables not the relationships between the variables - so equations cant be different.

Am I am missing something?
lastattack wrote:
I have one question to all of you ! Why havent you taken into consideration relative speed concept ????

Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 4324 [0], given: 161

Re: Train A leaves New York [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2011, 18:36
Expert's post
lastattack wrote:

Relative speed concept has its uses. This question is not one of them. We use it when 2 people cover some distance together in the same time... Here we already know that they meet at 4:00 when A has traveled 100 miles. After that we know that they take a total of 50 mins to reach their respective destinations independently.

Give the equations you have in mind... we can tell you what works and what doesn't and why...

Karishma
My Blog

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 9

Re: Train A leaves New York [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2011, 18:39
folks one thing.. wht are the chances that this might turn up in the real GMAT? chances of solving this in less than 2 mins are next to none..
Expert Post

Re: Train A leaves New York [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2011, 18:40
Expert's post
gmat1220 wrote:
This is not true. Well relative speed is not an elixir. Its derivative and based on usual speed distance formula. It niether changes the variables not the relationships between the variables - so equations cant be different.

Am I am missing something?

That's right. Relative speed is just speed of one relative to the other... It doesn't matter from whose perspective you see, the answer would never be different. It does not change the relation between the variables.

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post

Re: Train A leaves New York [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2011, 18:44
Expert's post
gladvijay wrote:
folks one thing.. wht are the chances that this might turn up in the real GMAT? chances of solving this in less than 2 mins are next to none..

such a question is not unfathomable... it is based on logic and sound interpretation... it is a higher level question for sure but the questions at this level are challenging... I would expect a more straight forward quadratic to save time but otherwise the question is fine... also remember, if you reach a level where you get such a question, you would have solved the really easy ones fairly quickly.. so you would actually have 3-4 mins to invest in such a question which is more than sufficient time... try using diagrams.. they help you grasp the concepts quickly...

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 9

Re: Train A leaves New York [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2011, 18:52
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
if you reach a level where you get such a question, you would have solved the really easy ones fairly quickly.. so you would actually have 3-4 mins to invest in such a question which is more than sufficient time... try using diagrams.. they help you grasp the concepts quickly...

This makes sense, thank you!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT Date: 12-27-2011
WE: Law (Law)

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 37

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Train A leaves New York [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2011, 11:21
CAN THE STEM STATE SOMTHING ELSE THAN THE STATMENTS?
ACCORDING TO THE STEM: D=130
ACCORDING TO STATMENT B D>140

Let:
be the distance between cities;
be the rate of Train B.

"An hour later (so at 4:00PM), Train A passes Train B" --> before they pass each other A traveled 1 hour (4PM-3PM) and B traveled 1/6 hours (4PM-3:50PM).

"Combined travel time of the two trains is 2 hours" --> d/100(time to cover all distance for train A)+d/x(time to cover all distance for train B)=2 --> ;

As before they pass A traveled 100 miles (1 hour at 100 miles per hour), then distance to cover for B after they pass is this 100 miles and as B traveled x*1/6 miles before they pass (1/6 hour at x miles per hour), then distance to cover for A after they pass is this x*1/6 miles --> ;

So, we have:
and .

Solving for and
and ;
OR:
and .

(1) Says that train B arrived before A.
If A arrives at 4:20, B at 4:30, not good;
If A arrives at 4:30, B at 4:20, OK.
Sufficient

(2) Says that --> --> , arrival time for B 4:20. Sufficient
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT Date: 12-27-2011
WE: Law (Law)

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 37

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Train A leaves New York [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2011, 11:31
BUNUEL HAS THE BEST ABILITY TO SIMPLIFY THE HARDEST OF THEM ALL
VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Train A leaves New York [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2011, 22:03
a (d-100)/(1/6) > 100
Speed b > speed a

d > 116.
so taking d = 117 there will be fixed time for B to cover the distance considering
ta+tb = 2hrs.

SUfficient.

b essentially gives the same d>140 and ta+tb = 2 will give a fixed value for tb.

Thus D it is.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 110

Re: Train A leaves New York for Boston at 3 PM and travels at [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2011, 10:38
Clean bowled till I read Bunuel's explanation. I would have guessed and moved on. Quite difficult for me. :(
Bunuel, thanks to you, I am at least able to understand the solutions.

Consider KUDOS if you feel the effort's worth it

Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3193

Kudos [?]: 21347 [0], given: 2546

Re: Train A leaves New York for Boston at 3 PM and travels at [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2013, 00:02
Expert's post
Bumping for review and further discussion*. Get a kudos point for an alternative solution!

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

Theory on Distance/Rate Problems: distance-speed-time-word-problems-made-easy-87481.html

All DS Distance/Rate Problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=44
All PS Distance/Rate Problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=64

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 134

Re: Train A leaves New York for Boston at 3 PM and travels at [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2013, 10:36

As an aside, trying to visualize this problem using real world examples isn't a good idea. I travel the NEC (North East Corridor - rail line between NYC and Boston) frequently. The actual train is much slower and travels a greater distance than the train in this problem meaning any visualization I did was grossly incorrect!

Train A leaves NYC for Boston, Train B leaves Boston for NYC.
Train A covers 100 miles in one hour
Train A passes B at 4PM after covering 100 miles
Train B leaves Boston 10 minutes before it passes A.

So, we are given that the total time for both trains is two hours. This means the time of A and the time of B added together = 2.

Time = Distance/Speed
Speed = Distance/Time

d/100 + d/x = 2
This represents the total time it took for A and B to pass one another and get to their respective destinations.

We know that when A and B passed one another, A traveled for 1 hour and B traveled for 1/6th of an hour (it left at 3:50 and passed A at 4:00) which means that the trains combined traveled for another 5/6ths of an hour)

Speed (B): = Distance/Time
Speed (B): = x/(1/6) (1/6) is the time in minutes (10 minutes), converted to hours, that the train covered from 3:50 to 4:00 when it passed A.
Speed (B): = (x/1) / (1/6) = (x/1) * (6/1) = 6x

Now we need to see how long it took each train (combined) to reach it's intended destination. The combined time of both trains must = 5/6ths

When B passed A, A had traveled 100 miles. Therefore, B had 100 miles to travel from that point (where the passed) to NYC.

T = D/S

t1 + t2 = 5/6

x/100 + 100/6x = 5/6

Could someone explain to me why we use the time it took from A to cross paths with B (x/100) in the formula trying to attain the time for the last 5/6ths of an hour of the journey?

3x^2 - 250x + 5000 = 0
x = 50, 33.33

Re: Train A leaves New York for Boston at 3 PM and travels at   [#permalink] 30 Jul 2013, 10:36