Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 14:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Train X traveled 250miles from the city A to the city B. At

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Train X traveled 250miles from the city A to the city B. At [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2007, 09:34
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Train X traveled 250miles from the city A to the city B. At the same time, on the straight and parallel line, train Y traveled the same route from the city B to the city A. If two trains, X and Y went toward each other and met in 2hours, which one of them was closer to the arrival city?

(1)when train X met train Y, the average speed of train X was 70miles per hour.

(2)the average speed of train Y over the whole distance was 55 miles per hour.

My answer is A, because (2)does not show the speed per hour during for the first two hours,

but someone said the answer is D

Could you teach me which one is right? :oops: thanks
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2007, 11:16
I'm going with B, Statement II is sufficient by itself.

If we know train Y was traveling at a uniform speed of 55mph, that means it traveled 55mph*2hrs = 110miles when it met train X. Which means train X traveled 250-110= 140miles in two hrs. Train X is closer to the arrival city.

Statement I says train X was traveling 70mph when it met train Y but not that it was traveling 70mph for the entire distance.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2007, 11:24
I say A.

(1) is sufficient because it is saying that X's average speed for the first two hours had been 70mph. From that, we can calculate the train's distance.

(2) isn't sufficient. It doesn't say that the train was traveling at a uniform speed. It could have easily been going 70mph for the first half of the trip.

I agree with you here. What is the OA?
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2007, 11:24
Statement 1 is correct...if x avg 70mph for 2 hours then it travels 140 miles in that stretch and y travels tavels 110 and therefore x is closer.

Statement 2 should not be correct...saying that the avg was 55 mph for the whole trip says nothing about the first 2 hours. If the question said they move at a constant rate then this would be enough. For all we know, y averages 70 mph for 2 hours and then much less for the next 110 miles.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2007, 11:34
D is the answer.

They left at the same time. working it out, train x would cover 140 miles in two hours, so Y would be at 110 miles. SUFF

In the other, is says train Y averages 55 mph, so in two hours it would be at 110 miles, where it would meet train X, meaning that train X would cover 140. SUFF

It took me a second, but the info they give would makes both statements sufficient.

*EDIT* reading the explanations the others gave, we DON'T know if Train Y took off like a rocket then stopped for lunch, or if they cruised at 55 all the way.

I'm wrong with D, I think.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2007, 11:40
Allows look for whether the question says constant speed or just average. If they give average look for a specific amount of time.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2007, 12:01
Maybe I'm reading too much into this but all statement I says is that train X was traveling at 70mph when it met train Y. But why does that mean it was traveling 70mph for the entire 2hrs?
Intern
Intern

thank you guys for the reply [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2007, 17:30
They helped me a lot.
I think I will go for the answer A.
:)
thank you guys for the reply   [#permalink] 28 Jul 2007, 17:30