Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 09:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Translating problems in a quicker fashion - any resources?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 137

Translating problems in a quicker fashion - any resources? [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2013, 11:22
Been studying for the GMAT for a while now. I am getting into the harder OG problems. I beginning to realize that it takes me a longer time to translate problems into math. I have been through MGMAT's word problems (it's such a great book) but I feel I could use more practice like drilling words to equations (w/o solving the actual equation). This is a really big hinder and if I can over come this, it would be a huge improvement.

Does anyone know of any other resources aside from MGMAT's word problems? Thank you

If my post has contributed to your learning or teaching in any way, feel free to hit the kudos button ^_^

Last edited by DelSingh on 15 Jan 2013, 08:51, edited 1 time in total.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 29

Re: Tranlating problems in a quicker fashion - any resources? [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2013, 16:31
I would suggest practicing. GMAT Club has problem solving problems by topic and difficulty and data sufficiency problems by topic and difficulty. I would start with OG, but it seems like you have already done that. As you continue to practice, you will get better and quicker.

I hope that helps. :)

If my post helped you, please consider giving me kudos.

Manager
Manager

Re: Tranlating problems in a quicker fashion - any resources? [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 07:30
commdiver wrote:
I would suggest practicing. GMAT Club has problem solving problems by topic and difficulty and data sufficiency problems by topic and difficulty. I would start with OG, but it seems like you have already done that. As you continue to practice, you will get better and quicker.

I hope that helps. :)

Thanks for the links. So the more I practice OG questions or questions from those links, the more I'll be able to translate words into math? The thing is, I am actually not bad at all at the verbal section but in quant sometimes I just trip up when I'm reading a question and trying to translate it into an equation.

I guess I'll just keep practicing more.

If my post has contributed to your learning or teaching in any way, feel free to hit the kudos button ^_^

Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 324 [0], given: 191

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Tranlating problems in a quicker fashion - any resources? [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 07:40
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1933819464

Google Word Problems for GMAT the first link contains a PDF by GMAT Hacks containing 100 of problems.

Posted from my mobile device Image

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Manager
Manager

Re: Tranlating problems in a quicker fashion - any resources? [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 08:53
AbhiJ wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1933819464

Google Word Problems for GMAT the first link contains a PDF by GMAT Hacks containing 100 of problems.

Posted from my mobile device Image

Thanks man, hope this helps!

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GPA: 3.89
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 13

Re: Translating problems in a quicker fashion - any resources? [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 13:12
DelSingh,
what exactly do you mean by translating words into equations? I've just tried to solve a few word problems from gmathacks - some Data Sufficiency, others Problem Solving. I noticed that I am not writing any equations, not even in my head. Perhaps, instead of learning to "translate the problems" faster, whatever that means, you can learn to skip this step altogether.

Can you give any examples of the problems that you were trying to "translate" and that took a long time?

Sergey Orshanskiy, Ph.D.
I tutor in NYC: http://www.wyzant.com/Tutors/NY/New-Yor ... ref=1RKFOZ

Re: Translating problems in a quicker fashion - any resources?   [#permalink] 15 Jan 2013, 13:12