Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 01:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Trans world Entertainment Corporation, which owns the record

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 127

Kudos [?]: 591 [2] , given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Trans world Entertainment Corporation, which owns the record [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2012, 23:21
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

49% (01:55) correct 51% (01:23) wrong based on 383 sessions
Trans world Entertainment Corporation, which owns the record Town and Saturday Matinee retail chains announced that since sales of up to one-fourth of its stores are poor, they will be closed.
A. that since sales of up to one-fourth of its stores are poor, they will be closed
B. It is closing up to one-forth of its stores, which accounted for its poor sales.
C. It was closing up to one fouth of its stores because of poor sales.
D. to be closing, on account of poor sales, up to one-forth of its stores
E. having poor sales, such that up to one-forth of its stores will be closed.

Debatable OA.
I have a doubt about OA over the change of meaning.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 355 [1] , given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Trans World Entertainment Corporation [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2012, 20:12
This post received
KUDOS
Marcab wrote:
tuanquang269 wrote:
Trans world Entertainment Corporation, which owns the record Town and Saturday Matinee retail chains announced that since sales of up to one-fourth of its stores are poor, they will be closed.
A. that since sales of up to one-fourth of its stores are poor, they will be closed => THEY makes the sentence does not have any clear reference because retail chains are in the relative clause.
B. It is closing up to one-forth of its stores, which accounted for its poor sales. => This choice change the meaning of the sentence. We should reasoning in here that if 1/4 of corporation's stores are poor sales, the remain store are still dramatically in healthy sales. The corp will have no reasons to close 1/4. The 1/4 stores have to make all of the system be poor sales
D. to be closing, on account of poor sales, up to one-forth of its stores => clearly wrong in the usage of on account of
E. having poor sales, such that up to one-forth of its stores will be closed. > HAVING is wrong here.

Debatable OA.
I have a doubt about OA over the change of meaning

Hey many thanks for reply.
Consider an example:
"I am writing this because of frustration".
In the above example, it is very clear that I am frustrated.
Similarly, in option c, " they are closing 1/4 stores because of poor sales" implies two meanings. One is that " they are having poor sales" and second is that "1/4 stores are having poor sales"
I feel if C were, "they are closing 1/4 stores, which are having poor sales", then it would have been correct.
I really think that its a poorly worded question because ambiguity is in every option.
Please feel free to correct me.

First, I'd like to highlight "On Gmat SC we are not looking for ideal sentence, but the best among given choices"
Keeping the above in mind - do we have anything better than C? All other options are clarly grammatically incorrect, as discussed in posts above.
Second point - talking about ambiguity - the doubt comes into mind because we make assumption of intended meaning of author based on poorly crafted original sentence. In fact ans choice C clears it up - gives u the real meaning that 1/4 of stores are being closed due to poor sales overall. period.
Grammar can not be sacrificed because of assumed intended meaning. If you had two grammatically correct sentences then this retaining meaning comes into picture.
Last, "that" should have been present at the start of ans choice C to make it ideal.

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 657 [0], given: 116

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Trans World Entertainment Corporation [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2012, 23:41
Marcab wrote:
A. that since sales of up to one-fourth of its stores are poor, they will be closed
B. It is closing up to one-forth of its stores, which accounted for its poor sales.

Debatable OA.

None of the answer choices seem 100% right to me. The OA is given as C but I feel that there should be "that" after announced. But since none of the other choices are any better (all other have ambiguous pronouns), I guess I would have to go with C.

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 38

Re: Trans World Entertainment Corporation [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2012, 23:42
A. that since sales of up to one-fourth of its stores are poor, they will be closed [ It is ambiguous what does 'They" refer to - sales or stores
B. It is closing up to one-forth of its stores, which accounted for its poor sales. [ it is ambiguous what does "which" refers to - the act of closing, or the stores
C. It was closing up to one fouth of its stores because of poor sales. [ it clearly conveys the original meaning that 1/4 of the stores will be closed because they perform poorly]
D. to be closing, on account of poor sales, up to one-forth of its stores [totally awkward]
E. having poor sales, such that up to one-forth of its stores will be closed. [totally awkward]
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 591 [0], given: 62

Re: Trans World Entertainment Corporation [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2012, 23:54
Expert's post
Ivan91 wrote:
A. that since sales of up to one-fourth of its stores are poor, they will be closed [ It is ambiguous what does 'They" refer to - sales or stores
B. It is closing up to one-forth of its stores, which accounted for its poor sales. [ it is ambiguous what does "which" refers to - the act of closing, or the stores
C. It was closing up to one fouth of its stores because of poor sales. [ it clearly conveys the original meaning that 1/4 of the stores will be closed because they perform poorly]
D. to be closing, on account of poor sales, up to one-forth of its stores [totally awkward]
E. having poor sales, such that up to one-forth of its stores will be closed. [totally awkward]

Don't you feel C is ambiguous in saying "it was closing up to one fourth of its stores because of poor sales". This implies two plausible outcomes.
1) Trans World Entertainment Corporation itself is facing with poor sales, not just its 1/4 stores
2) its 1/4 stores are facing poor sales and hence being shut down.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Trans World Entertainment Corporation [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2012, 00:05
Marcab wrote:
Ivan91 wrote:

Don't you feel C is ambiguous in saying "it was closing up to one fourth of its stores because of poor sales". This implies two plausible outcomes.
1) Trans World Entertainment Corporation itself is facing with poor sales, not just its 1/4 stores

I agree with your interpretation, but we should rely on the meaning more. Closure of 1/4 stores is the result of poor sales.

Secondly, even though "that" sounds attractive ", "they" creates Pronoun Reference error.

They best option is C.
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Trans World Entertainment Corporation [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2012, 00:10
Expert's post
rahulb2011 wrote:
Marcab wrote:
Ivan91 wrote:

I agree with your interpretation, but we should rely on the meaning more. Closure of 1/4 stores is the result of poor sales.

Secondly, even though "that" sounds attractive ", "they" creates Pronoun Reference error.

They best option is C.

poor sales of what...? Trans World or 1/4 of its stores? That's my question

Rules For Posting

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 41

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Trans World Entertainment Corporation [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2012, 08:56
A. that since sales of up to one-fourth of its stores are poor, they will be closed => THEY makes the sentence does not have any clear reference because retail chains are in the relative clause.
B. It is closing up to one-forth of its stores, which accounted for its poor sales. => This choice change the meaning of the sentence. We should reasoning in here that if 1/4 of corporation's stores are poor sales, the remain store are still dramatically in healthy sales. The corp will have no reasons to close 1/4. The 1/4 stores have to make all of the system be poor sales
D. to be closing, on account of poor sales, up to one-forth of its stores => clearly wrong in the usage of on account of
E. having poor sales, such that up to one-forth of its stores will be closed. > HAVING is wrong here.

Debatable OA.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Trans World Entertainment Corporation [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2012, 19:38
Expert's post
tuanquang269 wrote:

Debatable OA.

Hey many thanks for reply.
Consider an example:
"I am writing this because of frustration".
In the above example, it is very clear that I am frustrated.
Similarly, in option c, " they are closing 1/4 stores because of poor sales" implies two meanings. One is that " they are having poor sales" and second is that "1/4 stores are having poor sales"
I feel if C were, "they are closing 1/4 stores, which are having poor sales", then it would have been correct.
I really think that its a poorly worded question because ambiguity is in every option.
Please feel free to correct me.

Rules For Posting

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Trans World Entertainment Corporation [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2012, 21:01
Expert's post
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 11-18-2012

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 23

Re: Trans World Entertainment Corporation [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2012, 21:03
quite debatable question

in OA 'C'

It was closing up to one fourth of its stores because of poor sales.

is this right usage or do we need present tense here.?

Thriving for CHANGE

Director
Director
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 355 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Trans World Entertainment Corporation [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2012, 22:50
Marcab wrote:
Thanks for clarifying. Kudos to you

:shock: where is my kudos? :shock:

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 9

Re: Trans World Entertainment Corporation [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 14:23
Aristocrat wrote:
quite debatable question

in OA 'C'

It was closing up to one fourth of its stores because of poor sales.

is this right usage or do we need present tense here.?

How is was incorrect? Announced is past tense and I chose C because was is the one that best keeps the tense consistent. IMO this question is obviously C, but I might be biased because i got it right.

Please give kudos if you found my post useful, I give kudos back :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: Trans World Entertainment Corporation [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 21:54
Marcab wrote:

Debatable OA.

There is an error in the original sentence, may be a transcription error? We need a COMMA after " Matinee retail chains" otherwise whole thing a fragment...!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15, NUS '16
GMAT Date: 08-27-2013
GPA: 3.46
WE: Project Management (Other)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 54

Reviews Badge
Re: Trans world Entertainment Corporation, which owns the record [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 23:39
@marcab...
what you said is right,the SC is ambiguous,but we have to select the best from the ans choices..

I have a doubt in option "A" how the word "they" is ambiguous,my point is that "they will be closed " clearly modifies stores which are poor ......some said "they" can also modify sales,but how can sales can be closed.

Why cannot we take" They" as ellipsis?

.........................................................................................
Please give me kudos if my posts help.

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Trans world Entertainment Corporation, which owns the record [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2013, 00:03
Expert's post

pavanpaone wrote:
@marcab...
what you said is right,the SC is ambiguous,but we have to select the best from the ans choices..

I have a doubt in option "A" how the word "they" is ambiguous,my point is that "they will be closed " clearly modifies stores which are poor ......some said "they" can also modify sales,but how can sales can be closed.

Let us distribute the entire sentence in clauses.
1) TWC owns record Town and Saturday Matinee retail chain----This is in relative clause.
2) TWC announced
i)that since sales of one fourth of its stores are poor,---(green is prepositional phrase-in which a subject can't reside )
3) they will be closed.

In A, "they" can't refer to "stores" because "stores" is in the prepositional phrase. If you notice, you'll find that the only subject here in this sentence is TWC. So any pronoun referrent present in the main clause, must refer to TWC.

Hope that helps.

Rules For Posting

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15, NUS '16
GMAT Date: 08-27-2013
GPA: 3.46
WE: Project Management (Other)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 54

Reviews Badge
Re: Trans world Entertainment Corporation, which owns the record [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2013, 00:11
Marcab wrote:

pavanpaone wrote:
@marcab...

Let us distribute the entire sentence in clauses.
1) TWC owns record Town and Saturday Matinee retail chain----This is in relative clause.
2) TWC announced
i)that since sales of one fourth of its stores are poor,---(green is prepositional phrase-in which a subject can't reside )
3) they will be closed.

In A, "they" can't refer to "stores" because "stores" is in the prepositional phrase. If you notice, you'll find that the only subject here in this sentence is TWC. So any pronoun referrent present in the main clause, must refer to TWC.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for your prompt reply,I forgot that subject cannot reside in prepositional phrase..

.........................................................................................
Please give me kudos if my posts help.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 69

CAT Tests
Re: Trans world Entertainment Corporation, which owns the record [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2013, 00:23
I would divide the sentence as below:
Trans world Entertainment Corporation, which owns the record Town and Saturday Matinee retail chains announced that ...

As TWEC is the subject of above sentence, We should use 'it' and not they

Can we eliminate the few options looking at the tenses. In this case, future tense will not be used here.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Trans world Entertainment Corporation, which owns the record [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2013, 10:03
Hi Guys,

sorry drift away from the topic but could u please explain the correct usage of " on account of"

Thanks,

Aniket
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.95
WE: Supply Chain Management (Other)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 8

Re: Trans world Entertainment Corporation, which owns the record [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2013, 04:23
If answer is C, I feel there should be a that before It was closing up to one fouth of its stores because of poor sales.

Cheers!

+1 Kudos if you like my post! :-D

Re: Trans world Entertainment Corporation, which owns the record   [#permalink] 18 Jun 2013, 04:23