Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 01:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Trans World Entertainment Corporation, which owns the Record

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 Sep 2005
Posts: 331
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Trans World Entertainment Corporation, which owns the Record [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2007, 22:52
1
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Trans World Entertainment Corporation, which owns the Record Town and Saturday Matinee retail chains, announced that since sales of up to one-fourth of its stores are poor, they will be closed.

A. that since sales of up to one-fourth of its stores are poor, they will be closed.
B. it is closing up to one-fourth of its stores, which accounted for its poor sales
C. it was closing up to one fourth of its stores because of poor sales.
D. to be closing, on account of poor sales, up to one-fourth of its stores.
E. having poor sales, such that up to one-fourth of its stores will be closed.

I picked B.........A - passive voice; C - poor sales referent is not clear; D - full of mistakes; E - having and other mistakes

Views please???
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 29 Mar 2007
Posts: 2593
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 189 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - SET 26 Q23 [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2007, 23:00
singh_amit19 wrote:
Trans World Entertainment Corporation, which owns the Record Town and Saturday Matinee retail chains, announced that since sales of up to one-fourth of its stores are poor, they will be closed.

A. that since sales of up to one-fourth of its stores are poor, they will be closed.
B. it is closing up to one-fourth of its stores, which accounted for its poor sales
C. it was closing up to one fourth of its stores because of poor sales.
D. to be closing, on account of poor sales, up to one-fourth of its stores.
E. having poor sales, such that up to one-fourth of its stores will be closed.

I picked B.........A - passive voice; C - poor sales referent is not clear; D - full of mistakes; E - having and other mistakes

Views please???


I think all these choices stink. I pick A. announced... "that" I think is needed here.

DE are just wrong.
C: past tense when original uses future tense, this changes the meaning.
B: I don't think its in the last part has a clear referent.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 Sep 2005
Posts: 331
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - SET 26 Q23 [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2007, 04:11
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
singh_amit19 wrote:
Trans World Entertainment Corporation, which owns the Record Town and Saturday Matinee retail chains, announced that since sales of up to one-fourth of its stores are poor, they will be closed.

A. that since sales of up to one-fourth of its stores are poor, they will be closed.
B. it is closing up to one-fourth of its stores, which accounted for its poor sales
C. it was closing up to one fourth of its stores because of poor sales.
D. to be closing, on account of poor sales, up to one-fourth of its stores.
E. having poor sales, such that up to one-fourth of its stores will be closed.

I picked B.........A - passive voice; C - poor sales referent is not clear; D - full of mistakes; E - having and other mistakes

Views please???


I think all these choices stink. I pick A. announced... "that" I think is needed here.

DE are just wrong.
C: past tense when original uses future tense, this changes the meaning.
B: I don't think its in the last part has a clear referent.


I agree with you....."that" is required over here........OA is C though, possibly WRONG!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 13 Mar 2007
Posts: 296
Location: Russia, Moscow
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - SET 26 Q23 [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2007, 11:00
singh_amit19 wrote:
Trans World Entertainment Corporation, which owns the Record Town and Saturday Matinee retail chains, announced that since sales of up to one-fourth of its stores are poor, they will be closed.

A. that since sales of up to one-fourth of its stores are poor, they will be closed.
B. it is closing up to one-fourth of its stores, which accounted for its poor sales
C. it was closing up to one fourth of its stores because of poor sales.
D. to be closing, on account of poor sales, up to one-fourth of its stores.
E. having poor sales, such that up to one-fourth of its stores will be closed.

I picked B.........A - passive voice; C - poor sales referent is not clear; D - full of mistakes; E - having and other mistakes

Views please???


I picked C, because
1) we need past since "announced" is in the past
2) in C "that" is omitted and implied
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Jan 2007
Posts: 97
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
tough one [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2007, 19:55
I picked C.
It took me a few minutes. I got it down to A and C.
I eliminated A because 'they' refers to 'sales' and that makes no sense. If it said 'that 1/4 of its stores have poor sales, they will be closed' then that works. But as it is, the 'they' refers to sales. ELIMINATE A...which leaves C.

B changes meaning of sentence.
D and E clearly wrong.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Jul 2007
Posts: 178
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: tough one [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2007, 22:21
dr908 wrote:
I picked C.
It took me a few minutes. I got it down to A and C.
I eliminated A because 'they' refers to 'sales' and that makes no sense. If it said 'that 1/4 of its stores have poor sales, they will be closed' then that works. But as it is, the 'they' refers to sales. ELIMINATE A...which leaves C.

B changes meaning of sentence.
D and E clearly wrong.

ahhh..missed out 'they'..silly mistake. good explanation
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 15 Jul 2004
Posts: 1474
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: tough one [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2007, 02:57
dr908 wrote:
I picked C.
It took me a few minutes. I got it down to A and C.
I eliminated A because 'they' refers to 'sales' and that makes no sense. If it said 'that 1/4 of its stores have poor sales, they will be closed' then that works. But as it is, the 'they' refers to sales. ELIMINATE A...which leaves C.

B changes meaning of sentence.
D and E clearly wrong.


Dear DR908 - I was trying to understand the logic you have used to identify how THEY in choice A refers PRECISELY to sales.

IMO, the referent of they in A is ambiguous and that's why A is wrong. As used, they could refer either to sales or stores.

Can you please clarify if I am missing anything?
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2006
Posts: 647
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2007, 06:37
'C' is clearly the winner here.

In 'A' I also feel the usage of Since after that seems incorrect . Appreciate your views on the same...
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 03 May 2007
Posts: 899
Schools: University of Chicago, Wharton School
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - SET 26 Q23 [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2007, 06:47
singh_amit19 wrote:
Trans World Entertainment Corporation, which owns the Record Town and Saturday Matinee retail chains, announced that since sales of up to one-fourth of its stores are poor, they will be closed.

A. that since sales of up to one-fourth of its stores are poor, they will be closed.
B. it is closing up to one-fourth of its stores, which accounted for its poor sales
C. it was closing up to one fourth of its stores because of poor sales.
D. to be closing, on account of poor sales, up to one-fourth of its stores.
E. having poor sales, such that up to one-fourth of its stores will be closed.


C. no neeed to say why DE are wrong. AB have refereant problem. B has ambiguous referant "it".

So undoubtdly C.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Jan 2007
Posts: 97
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
they [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2007, 06:49
Sure.
So you know i scored 41 on last PowerPrep, on verbal, and I got 75 percent of the SC right, so i am not a SC guru like others.

I think you are right though, they is merely ambiguous to what it refers to. For me, it refers to sales, since sales is the subject of the previous clause and 'they' then is the subject of the second clause which is referring back to the previous clause. Consider below. It is the same thing:

They incorrectly refers to players:
The players are in different cities, they are the capitals of their respective states.

They correctly refers to cities:
The players are in diffrent cities, which are the capitals of their respective states.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 15 Jul 2004
Posts: 1474
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: they [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2007, 07:54
dr908 wrote:
Sure.
So you know i scored 41 on last PowerPrep, on verbal, and I got 75 percent of the SC right, so i am not a SC guru like others.

I think you are right though, they is merely ambiguous to what it refers to. For me, it refers to sales, since sales is the subject of the previous clause and 'they' then is the subject of the second clause which is referring back to the previous clause. Consider below. It is the same thing:

They incorrectly refers to players:
The players are in different cities, they are the capitals of their respective states.

They correctly refers to cities:
The players are in diffrent cities, which are the capitals of their respective states.


Thanks.. pronoun reference always troubles me a lot.
Re: they   [#permalink] 01 Oct 2007, 07:54
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
30 Experts publish their posts in the topic Trans world Entertainment Corporation, which owns the record zz0vlb 30 28 Apr 2010, 14:23
Trans World Entertainment Corporation, which owns the Record rohansherry 3 15 Aug 2009, 11:10
Trans World Entertainment Corporation, which owns the Record ankur55 9 27 Jul 2009, 01:54
Trans World Entertainment Corporation, which owns the Record vivektripathi 4 11 Jan 2009, 20:04
Trans World Entertainment Corporation, which owns the Record kokusanhin 1 31 May 2008, 18:56
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Trans World Entertainment Corporation, which owns the Record

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.