Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 17:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Trans World Entertainment Corporation, which owns the Record

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 May 2009
Posts: 78
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Trans World Entertainment Corporation, which owns the Record [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2009, 01:54
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  5% (low)

Question Stats:

12% (01:32) correct 87% (00:28) wrong based on 8 sessions
Trans World Entertainment Corporation, which owns
the Record Town and Saturday Matinee retail chains,
announced that since sales of up to one-fourth of its
stores are poor, they will be closed.

A. that since sales of up to one-fourth of its stores
are poor, they will be closed.
B. it is closing up to one-fourth of its stores, which
accounted for its poor sales
C. it was closing up to one fourth of its stores
because of poor sales.
D. to be closing, on account of poor sales, up to
one-fourth of its stores.
D. having poor sales, such that up to one-fourth of
its stores will be closed.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Jun 2009
Posts: 141
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q51 V27
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 21

Re: sales [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2009, 03:42
ankur55 wrote:
A. that since sales of up to one-fourth of its stores
are poor, they will be closed.

Pronoun referent problem. 'They' in last sentence is confusing. May be pointing to Corporation or Stores.

ankur55 wrote:
B. it is closing up to one-fourth of its stores, which
accounted for its poor sales

Present tense is wrong. The word 'announced' in original sentence points out that past tense is needed.

ankur55 wrote:
C. it was closing up to one fourth of its stores
because of poor sales.


Correct. Correct tense. No problem of pronoun referent.

ankur55 wrote:
D. to be closing, on account of poor sales, up to
one-fourth of its stores.


'to be closing' is odd construction.

ankur55 wrote:
E. having poor sales, such that up to one-fourth of
its stores will be closed.


'Having poor sales' again is odd.

Am I correct ? OA ?
_________________

I am ready to fall, but not before I fly.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 May 2009
Posts: 78
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: sales [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2009, 04:01
alpeshvc wrote:
ankur55 wrote:
A. that since sales of up to one-fourth of its stores
are poor, they will be closed.

Pronoun referent problem. 'They' in last sentence is confusing. May be pointing to Corporation or Stores.

ankur55 wrote:
B. it is closing up to one-fourth of its stores, which
accounted for its poor sales

Present tense is wrong. The word 'announced' in original sentence points out that past tense is needed.

ankur55 wrote:
C. it was closing up to one fourth of its stores
because of poor sales.


Correct. Correct tense. No problem of pronoun referent.

ankur55 wrote:
D. to be closing, on account of poor sales, up to
one-fourth of its stores.


'to be closing' is odd construction.

ankur55 wrote:
E. having poor sales, such that up to one-fourth of
its stores will be closed.


'Having poor sales' again is odd.

Am I correct ? OA ?


Good one OA is C thanks.
Sometimes I overlook subtle errors in SC. Thats what GMAT-SC is all about :)because of these mistakes my accuracy in SC is not coming up the mark
Thanks again.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Jun 2009
Posts: 141
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q51 V27
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 21

Re: sales [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2009, 04:25
ankur55 wrote:
Sometimes I overlook subtle errors in SC. Thats what GMAT-SC is all about :)because of these mistakes my accuracy in SC is not coming up the mark
Thanks again.


Just one suggestion -

If you havn't referred Manhattan SC then first refer it. Spend hours understanding concepts.
Then solve the OG questions given in exercise of each chapter. Don't consider time here. Just try to analyse each & every sentence with a proper reason. Don't answer just on the basis of 'feel'.

All the best. :thumbsup:
_________________

I am ready to fall, but not before I fly.

Retired Moderator
User avatar
Status: The last round
Joined: 18 Jun 2009
Posts: 1318
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 450 [0], given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: sales [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2009, 05:06
Now here is an issue

"C" says: XYZ corporation ..... announced it was closing......

I think this sentence is missing "that" after "announced".

This would have been acceptable to me>>> "XYZ corporation ..... announced the closure of ......"

Any body wanna comment on this??? I think "that" should be used after "announced".
_________________

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 01 Aug 2008
Posts: 770
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 99

GMAT Tests User
Re: sales [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2009, 07:04
Hussain15 wrote:
Now here is an issue

"C" says: XYZ corporation ..... announced it was closing......

I think this sentence is missing "that" after "announced".

This would have been acceptable to me>>> "XYZ corporation ..... announced the closure of ......"

Any body wanna comment on this??? I think "that" should be used after "announced".


you have to choose the best in the lot ... only A has 'that' but that option is wrong for having 'they'.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Nov 2010
Posts: 227
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 38

GMAT Tests User
Re: sales [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2011, 11:56
C is the answer. The option should be in past tense as the correct part of sentence contains "announced"
_________________

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MGMAT 6 650 (51,31) on 31/8/11
MGMAT 1 670 (48,33) on 04/9/11
MGMAT 2 670 (47,34) on 07/9/11
MGMAT 3 680 (47,35) on 18/9/11
GMAT Prep1 680 ( 50, 31) on 10/11/11

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CR notes
http://gmatclub.com/forum/massive-collection-of-verbal-questions-sc-rc-and-cr-106195.html#p832142
http://gmatclub.com/forum/1001-ds-questions-file-106193.html#p832133
http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-critical-reasoning-collection-106783.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html?hilit=chineseburned

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Sep 2011
Posts: 89
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 15

Re: sales [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2011, 06:27
Hussain15 wrote:
Now here is an issue

"C" says: XYZ corporation ..... announced it was closing......

I think this sentence is missing "that" after "announced".

This would have been acceptable to me>>> "XYZ corporation ..... announced the closure of ......"

Any body wanna comment on this??? I think "that" should be used after "announced".


I'm also bothered by the same problem. Had pegged 'C' initially, but then realized that it does not sound correct without 'that'.

What is the source OP?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Oct 2011
Posts: 189
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: Sloan '16 (D)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.76
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User
Re: Trans World Entertainment Corporation, which owns the Record [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2011, 07:13
Doesn't option C change the meaning? The meaning could possibly go from "closing stores because those stores had poor sales" to "closing stores because the entire company had poor sales".
Current Student
avatar
Status: MLT Fellowship - MBA Prep
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma - Business Honors Society, FINRA Securities Licenses, CA Insurance Licenses
Joined: 29 Nov 2010
Posts: 174
Location: United States (CA)
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.47
WE: Sales (Retail Banking)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Trans World Entertainment Corporation, which owns the Record [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2011, 17:09
C. I was tempted for A at first... i need to re-read the list of words that require THAT to follow.
_________________

Brandon Hoffman
http://www.linkedin.com/in/bdhoffman

Management Leadership of Tomorrow (MLT) - MBA Programs Fellow
MLT LA Chapter - Board Member / Recruiting Officer
Net Impact - Professional Chapter Co-President
MBADiversity Organization - Global Fellow, CHINA

Re: Trans World Entertainment Corporation, which owns the Record   [#permalink] 03 Nov 2011, 17:09
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Trans World Entertainment Corporation, which owns the Record vivektripathi 4 11 Jan 2009, 20:04
Trans World Entertainment Corporation, which owns the Record arorag 7 03 Oct 2008, 17:30
Trans World Entertainment Corporation, which owns the Record kokusanhin 1 31 May 2008, 18:56
1 Trans World Entertainment Corporation, which owns the Record singh_amit19 10 29 Sep 2007, 22:52
Trans World Entertainment Corporation, which owns the Record eclipse00 4 06 Aug 2006, 18:00
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Trans World Entertainment Corporation, which owns the Record

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.