Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 14:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Trans world Entertainment Corporation, which owns the record

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Feb 2010
Posts: 106
Location: Denver
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 119 [1] , given: 14

Trans world Entertainment Corporation, which owns the record [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2010, 14:23
1
This post received
KUDOS
5
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

54% (02:03) correct 46% (01:00) wrong based on 117 sessions
Trans world Entertainment Corporation, which owns the record Town and Saturday Matinee retail chains announced that since sales of up to one-fourth of its stores are poor, they will be closed.

A. that since sales of up to one-fourth of its stores are poor, they will be closed
B. it is closing up to one-fourth of its stores, which accounted for its poor sales
C. it was closing up to one fourth of its stores because of poor sales
D. to be closing, on account of poor sales, up to one-fourth of its stores
E. having poor sales, such that up to one-fourth of its stores will be closed

Edit: corrected spelling & punctuation
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Feb 2009
Posts: 77
Location: chennai
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 0

Re: Trans world Entertainment Corporation sales. [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2010, 15:05
1
This post received
KUDOS
Trans world Entertainment Corporation, which owns the record Town and Saturday Matinee retail chains announced that since sales of up to one-fourth of its stores are poor, they will be closed.

A. that since sales of up to one-fourth of its stores are poor, they will be closed
B. It is closing up to one-forth of its stores, which accounted for its poor sales.
C. It was closing up to one fouth of its stores because of poor sales.
D. to be closing, on account of poor sales, up to one-forth of its stores
E. having poor sales, such that up to one-forth of its stores will be closed.

My Ans is C)

A) record Town and Saturday Matinee retail chains announced that since sales of up to
In that we have "That since " - two should not come nearly .So A is Wrong
B) Which.. Which same relative pronoun( there will be confusion ) So B is wrong.
C)it is OK
D)Too many dependent clause.So it is wrong.
E)it is wrong
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Apr 2010
Posts: 79
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 3

Re: Trans world Entertainment Corporation sales. [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2010, 22:34
IMO C

"that" is required in this sentence
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 17 Feb 2010
Posts: 1560
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 226 [0], given: 6

Re: Trans world Entertainment Corporation sales. [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2010, 12:54
I agree that (D) has many dependent clauses but I did not understand option (C) which says.....

Trans world Entertainment Corporation, which owns the record Town and Saturday Matinee retail chains announced that it was closing up to one fouth of its stores because of poor sales.

can someone explain how "was closing" is correct?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2010
Posts: 79
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Trans world Entertainment Corporation sales. [#permalink] New post 25 May 2010, 02:53
I picked 'D'. I rejected 'C' on using 'because of poor sales'. who's poor sales 'the stores '? or trans corporations poor sales? it doesnt clearly says.

Wats OA??
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Aug 2009
Posts: 437
Schools: UT at Austin, Indiana State University, UC at Berkeley
WE 1: 5.5
WE 2: 5.5
WE 3: 6.0
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 16

Re: Trans world Entertainment Corporation sales. [#permalink] New post 25 May 2010, 22:18
C can not be the answer because it is missing that after announced,
_________________

Never give up,,,

21 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 May 2010
Posts: 143
Followers: 91

Kudos [?]: 388 [21] , given: 0

Re: Trans world Entertainment Corporation sales. [#permalink] New post 26 May 2010, 02:54
21
This post received
KUDOS
3
This post was
BOOKMARKED
There is an issue of reported speech here. In reported speech, what someone said is taken one tense back because it is a relative clause. For example:

Let's say that some says, "I am happy."

Reported speech: She said (in the past) that she was happy.

Every once in a while it seems that the GMAT is not perfectly vigilant about using "that," although 99% of the time "that" is required to create the defining/limiting relative clause.

Thus, C is best.

TIP from GMAX: There is some preference for "because" over other cause-result words! Check out the Small Details lesson in SC at gmaxonline.

If this helped, kindly give Kudos. :-D
_________________

Sarai
GMAT Verbal Instructor at http://www.linkedin.com/company/ofek-gmat/online-gmat-tutoring-22305743/product?trk=biz_product
Email me at saraiyaseen@gmail.com

If this helped, kindly give Kudos! :wink:

Retired Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2009
Posts: 486
Location: Bangalore,India
WE 1: 4yrs in IT Industry
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 337

Re: Trans world Entertainment Corporation sales. [#permalink] New post 26 May 2010, 03:22
[quote2"SaraiGMAXonline"]There is an issue of reported speech here. In reported speech, what someone said is taken one tense back because it is a relative clause. For example:

Let's say that some says, "I am happy."

Reported speech: She said (in the past) that she was happy.

Every once in a while it seems that the GMAT is not perfectly vigilant about using "that," although 99% of the time "that" is required to create the defining/limiting relative clause.[/quote2]

thanku this helped
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Apr 2010
Posts: 230
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 1

Re: Trans world Entertainment Corporation sales. [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2010, 22:43
Isn't "that" necessary in this sentence?
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 1634
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 2

Re: Trans world Entertainment Corporation sales. [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2010, 10:45
bibha wrote:
Isn't "that" necessary in this sentence?

Same question here.

OA is C, but it sounds strange for me without "that". Could anybody clarify when "that" is needed and when is not?
Many thanks in advance.
_________________

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit


Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
avatar
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Posts: 995
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 420 [0], given: 36

Re: Trans world Entertainment Corporation sales. [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2010, 22:49
Sari
Pls answer these quest

The moment I see "having" in the SC, I am inclined that its wrong 99% of the time. Is this correct approach?


SaraiGMAXonline wrote:
Every once in a while it seems that the GMAT is not perfectly vigilant about using "that," although 99% of the time "that" is required to create the defining/limiting relative clause.


I crossed A because of SV disagreement - "they" is plural.

Reported speech: She said (in the past) that she was happy. ----> Is it correct to say
She said she was happy. (without that) ????

SaraiGMAXonline wrote:
TIP from GMAX: There is some preference for "because" over other cause-result words! Check out the Small Details lesson in SC at gmaxonline.

I believe you are saying - because > since. I also think because > due to. Pls comment.

thanks
_________________

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 May 2010
Posts: 143
Followers: 91

Kudos [?]: 388 [0], given: 0

Re: Trans world Entertainment Corporation sales. [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2010, 01:50
nusmavrik wrote:
Sari
Pls answer these quest

The moment I see "having" in the SC, I am inclined that its wrong 99% of the time. Is this correct approach?


SaraiGMAXonline wrote:
Every once in a while it seems that the GMAT is not perfectly vigilant about using "that," although 99% of the time "that" is required to create the defining/limiting relative clause.


I crossed A because of SV disagreement - "they" is plural.

Reported speech: She said (in the past) that she was happy. ----> Is it correct to say
She said she was happy. (without that) ????

SaraiGMAXonline wrote:
TIP from GMAX: There is some preference for "because" over other cause-result words! Check out the Small Details lesson in SC at gmaxonline.

I believe you are saying - because > since. I also think because > due to. Pls comment.

thanks


Hi nusmavrik,

"he said she was happy. (without that) ????"

So 9 times out of 10 the GMAT SC will prefer the inclusion of "that", but you do have to look at other grammatical issues in the sentence because they do leave "that" out from time to time.

Also, yes, you understood correctly that a correct answer is more likely to use 'because' as opposed to 'since'/'due to'...etc. Again, you must look at other grammatical issues thought because it will never come down to just this difference!

Best,
Sarai
_________________

Sarai
GMAT Verbal Instructor at http://www.linkedin.com/company/ofek-gmat/online-gmat-tutoring-22305743/product?trk=biz_product
Email me at saraiyaseen@gmail.com

If this helped, kindly give Kudos! :wink:

Director
Director
avatar
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Posts: 995
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 420 [0], given: 36

Re: Trans world Entertainment Corporation sales. [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2010, 11:21
Sarai
Thanks. Still one more question. Pls bear

The moment I see "having" in the SC, I am inclined that its wrong 99% of the time. Is this correct approach?
cheers
_________________

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 May 2010
Posts: 143
Followers: 91

Kudos [?]: 388 [0], given: 0

Re: Trans world Entertainment Corporation sales. [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2010, 02:04
nusmavrik wrote:
Sarai
Thanks. Still one more question. Pls bear

The moment I see "having" in the SC, I am inclined that its wrong 99% of the time. Is this correct approach?
cheers


Hi nusmavrik,

"Having," I'm afraid, is not a magic signal for a wrong answer. If it is being used as a modifier, you have to think about whether what it modifies really 'has' something. It's a question of meaning. If there are particular problems in which the usage of "having" seems questionable to you, send them along, and I'll try to clarify what is happening with that word!

Best,
Sarai
_________________

Sarai
GMAT Verbal Instructor at http://www.linkedin.com/company/ofek-gmat/online-gmat-tutoring-22305743/product?trk=biz_product
Email me at saraiyaseen@gmail.com

If this helped, kindly give Kudos! :wink:

Director
Director
avatar
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Posts: 995
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 420 [0], given: 36

Re: Trans world Entertainment Corporation sales. [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2010, 23:00
Hey Sarai
I scanned the pattern "having been" in the OG 10 and OG 12. Not once "having been" was correct.

I know that I am talking "statistics" which is like throwing ET :-D

OG 12
Q "having been", Correct answer
Q14 D ,A
Q36 E ,A
Q68 D ,E
Q76 B ,D
Q129 D ,C

OG 10

Q "having been" Correct answer
127 C ,B
192 D ,C
253 E ,B
261 BDE ,C

thanks

SaraiGMAXonline wrote:
nusmavrik wrote:
Sarai
Thanks. Still one more question. Pls bear

The moment I see "having" in the SC, I am inclined that its wrong 99% of the time. Is this correct approach?
cheers


Hi nusmavrik,

"Having," I'm afraid, is not a magic signal for a wrong answer. If it is being used as a modifier, you have to think about whether what it modifies really 'has' something. It's a question of meaning. If there are particular problems in which the usage of "having" seems questionable to you, send them along, and I'll try to clarify what is happening with that word!

Best,
Sarai

_________________

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Fighting on
Joined: 14 Mar 2010
Posts: 318
Schools: UCLA (R1 interview-WL), UNC(R2--interview-ding) Oxford(R2-Admit), Kelley (R2- Admit $$), McCombs(R2)
WE 1: SE - 1
WE 2: Engineer - 3
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 3

Re: Trans world Entertainment Corporation sales. [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2010, 18:06
A and C are the only contenders. Between A and C, A is A for Awkward, Pick C
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: what we want to do, do it as soon as possible
Joined: 24 May 2010
Posts: 115
Location: Vietnam
WE 1: 5.0
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 315

Re: Trans world Entertainment Corporation sales. [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2010, 23:10
SaraiGMAXonline wrote:
There is an issue of reported speech here. In reported speech, what someone said is taken one tense back because it is a relative clause. For example:

Let's say that some says, "I am happy."

Reported speech: She said (in the past) that she was happy.
Thus, C is best.

If this helped, kindly give Kudos. :-D

very nice explanation, very helpful for me. a kudos as promised
_________________

Consider giving me kudos if you find my explanations helpful so i can learn how to express ideas to people more understandable.

Current Student
avatar
Status: Impossible is just an opinion
Joined: 31 Oct 2012
Posts: 60
Location: Ukraine
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V24
GMAT 2: 650 Q47 V34
GMAT 3: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 4: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 18

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Trans world Entertainment Corporation, which owns the record [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2013, 04:27
zz0vlb wrote:
Trans world Entertainment Corporation, which owns the record Town and Saturday Matinee retail chains announced that since sales of up to one-fourth of its stores are poor, they will be closed.

A. that since sales of up to one-fourth of its stores are poor, they will be closed
B. It is closing up to one-forth of its stores, which accounted for its poor sales.
C. It was closing up to one fouth of its stores because of poor sales.
D. to be closing, on account of poor sales, up to one-forth of its stores
E. having poor sales, such that up to one-forth of its stores will be closed.



Can anybody please explain why the answer choice B is incorrect?

For me, it is ok because It & Its refer to TWEC, while which clearly modify Stores.

THX!
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Far, far away!
Joined: 02 Sep 2012
Posts: 1125
Location: Italy
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 113

Kudos [?]: 1197 [1] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Trans world Entertainment Corporation, which owns the record [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2013, 04:33
1
This post received
KUDOS
lucbesson wrote:
zz0vlb wrote:
Trans world Entertainment Corporation, which owns the record Town and Saturday Matinee retail chains announced that since sales of up to one-fourth of its stores are poor, they will be closed.

A. that since sales of up to one-fourth of its stores are poor, they will be closed
B. It is closing up to one-forth of its stores, which accounted for its poor sales.
C. It was closing up to one fouth of its stores because of poor sales.
D. to be closing, on account of poor sales, up to one-forth of its stores
E. having poor sales, such that up to one-forth of its stores will be closed.



Can anybody please explain why the answer choice B is incorrect?

For me, it is ok because It & Its refer to TWEC, while which clearly modify Stores.

THX!


Hi lucbesson,

B is not a sentence:

Trans world Entertainment Corporation (subject), which owns the record Town and Saturday Matinee retail chains announced it is closing up to one-forth of its stores (modifier of the company), which accounted for its poor sales (modifier of stores).

You have something like subject, modifier, modifier => there is no main verb, hence B is not a complete sentence
_________________

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Current Student
avatar
Status: Impossible is just an opinion
Joined: 31 Oct 2012
Posts: 60
Location: Ukraine
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V24
GMAT 2: 650 Q47 V34
GMAT 3: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 4: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 18

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Trans world Entertainment Corporation, which owns the record [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2013, 08:40
Zarrolou wrote:
lucbesson wrote:
zz0vlb wrote:
Trans world Entertainment Corporation, which owns the record Town and Saturday Matinee retail chains announced that since sales of up to one-fourth of its stores are poor, they will be closed.

A. that since sales of up to one-fourth of its stores are poor, they will be closed
B. It is closing up to one-forth of its stores, which accounted for its poor sales.
C. It was closing up to one fouth of its stores because of poor sales.
D. to be closing, on account of poor sales, up to one-forth of its stores
E. having poor sales, such that up to one-forth of its stores will be closed.



Can anybody please explain why the answer choice B is incorrect?

For me, it is ok because It & Its refer to TWEC, while which clearly modify Stores.

THX!


Hi lucbesson,

B is not a sentence:

Trans world Entertainment Corporation (subject), which owns the record Town and Saturday Matinee retail chains announced it is closing up to one-forth of its stores (modifier of the company), which accounted for its poor sales (modifier of stores).

You have something like subject, modifier, modifier => there is no main verb, hence B is not a complete sentence


Indeed! But it's an error in the source. The correct initial sentence is following:

Trans world Entertainment Corporation, which owns the record Town and Saturday Matinee retail chains, announced that since sales of up to one-fourth of its stores are poor, they will be closed.

A. that since sales of up to one-fourth of its stores are poor, they will be closed
B. It is closing up to one-forth of its stores, which accounted for its poor sales.
C. It was closing up to one fouth of its stores because of poor sales.
D. to be closing, on account of poor sales, up to one-forth of its stores
E. having poor sales, such that up to one-forth of its stores will be closed

But I still don't see any issues with B. Can anybody help?
THX!
Re: Trans world Entertainment Corporation, which owns the record   [#permalink] 07 Jul 2013, 08:40
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
5 Experts publish their posts in the topic Trans world Entertainment Corporation, which owns the record Marcab 24 22 Oct 2012, 23:21
Trans World Entertainment Corporation, which owns the Record ankur55 9 27 Jul 2009, 01:54
Trans World Entertainment Corporation, which owns the Record goalsnr 8 18 Jun 2008, 19:31
1 Trans World Entertainment Corporation, which owns the Record singh_amit19 10 29 Sep 2007, 22:52
Trans World Entertainment Corporation, which owns the Record eclipse00 4 06 Aug 2006, 18:00
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Trans world Entertainment Corporation, which owns the record

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 31 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.