Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 01:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Transcripts?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Transcripts? [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2008, 13:25
If I took one class over the summer at a community college, do I need to have that transcript sent? My undergrad registrar says that the credit will be on my transcript, but no grade or class name. Any thoughts?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 692 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Transcripts? [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2008, 13:31
I would say most schools would want it. Your best bet is to talk to the school. Many schools dont care about official transcripts until after they admit you, but it would be a good idea to have one copy available.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Transcripts? [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2008, 13:34
I took classes in high school at a community college and one quarter of summer classes at a school local to my parents. I uploaded all three transcripts (the school where I got my degree being the 3rd).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Baruch / Zicklin
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 148

GMAT Tests User
Re: Transcripts? [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2008, 13:35
If you want that class' grade to be calculated into your cummulative gpa, then I would have it resent.
Intern
Intern

Re: Transcripts? [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2008, 13:49
Thanks for the info. I already had my undergrad registrar send my official transcripts, so I guess I will have them sent from the community college. I hope they include the grade since it is an A, but should I include it in the calculation when they ask on the application? If I do, I run the risk of them thinking I'm embellishing my GPA.

Also, do I add it as another institution in the educational history portion?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1531 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Transcripts? [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2008, 06:01
gonzoswim wrote:
Thanks for the info. I already had my undergrad registrar send my official transcripts, so I guess I will have them sent from the community college. I hope they include the grade since it is an A, but should I include it in the calculation when they ask on the application? If I do, I run the risk of them thinking I'm embellishing my GPA.

Also, do I add it as another institution in the educational history portion?

I would list seperately. Several reasons:

First --
If it wasn't part of the degree bearing, it's not part of your degree GPA. I'm assuming what happened is this: You got a degree from school X in Year Y. The GPA for all those courses is Z. In Year Y+something you took 1 class at school X. You got an A. Thus: Your graduating GPA and transcript GPA will be listed as Z. Personally, I'd find it confusing to see some GPA on your transcript and see something different in your app, and I'm not sure I'd want to take the time to figure out that you added in your A. Also keep in mind that one A isn't going to move your GPA much anyway.

Second --
It shows that you've gone back to school to prepare for your MBA. That, combined with the fact that you got an A, can't hurt. I'd rather highlight that than "hide it".

My advice:

1) List it seperately
2) Get a copy of the transcripts for yourself to look at (so you know what they say...)
3) If for whatever reason the "A" isn't listed, feel free to bring it up in your application. Mention the fact that you've prepared for school by taking class X over the summer and nailing it.
4) List whatever GPA they have on file for you. If they list it as X.XXX, you can round to X.XX.
Intern
Intern

Re: Transcripts? [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2008, 06:36
Rhyme,

Thanks for the reply. Your assumption was incorrect (although I did appreciate the gmat-style logic) Actually, I took the class during the summer after my freshman year. I guess that would be year Y-3 in your terms. I needed to make up for the lighter load I took that year due to my athletic and extracurricular commitments.
Does this mean that it is part of the degree bearing?

I already sent the transcript from "school x", but I'm not sure whether to list school x as another academic institution on the application because I did not receive a degree. Any thoughts?

I think you are correct that I should not add it in to the overall GPA.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Baruch / Zicklin
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 148

GMAT Tests User
Re: Transcripts? [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2008, 07:56
I have also seen some candidates state their cummulative GPA and the GPA for their particular major.

I.E. a 3.3 cummulative GPA and a 3.8 GPA in their major. perhaps you can average in the A grade with the cummulative gpa and not the major GPA since the class wasn't apart of your major...

FWIW.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross 2010
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Transcripts? [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2008, 09:03
I had classes I took thorugh community college in high school and a summer course I did at another university during college. I uploaded each transcript seperately. I listed my gpa for each college and did not intermingle anything. I think doing so would be confusing because there would be one gpa on your transcript and a different one that you listed.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Wharton, Booth, Stern
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Transcripts? [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2008, 10:53
In my Wharton application I selected the option: "I plan to mail my transcript to the Admissions Office directly instead of uploading it."

First question: I'm assuming it's ok to submit these AFTER the deadline, am I right? Second question, does it mean I litterally need to send the transcripts in an envelope?

Thanks for the help...

Wharton admits, join the rugby team!! It'll be by far the best experience of your MBA life

Re: Transcripts?   [#permalink] 04 Jan 2008, 10:53