Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 10:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Travel Agent: In the book travelling abroad, the author

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: ABCD
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 78

GMAT Tests User
Travel Agent: In the book travelling abroad, the author [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2012, 09:11
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (low)

Question Stats:

67% (01:00) correct 33% (01:09) wrong based on 61 sessions
Travel Agent: In the book travelling abroad, the author claims that European hotels are better designed than American hotels. This claim is justified by a thorough comparison of 25 populat European hotels and 25 popular American hotels. In this comparison, none of the American hotels were as complexly designed as any of the European ones.

The travel agent's argument is most vulnerable to which of the following criticisms?

a) The hotels reviewed by the book may be those that best serve its proposal.
b) Hotels can be judged by other merits besides design
c) The author of the book has written other books favoring European travel.
d) Hotels in other parts of the world may be better designed than those in Europe.
e) Someone who hasn't been to Europe might not appreciate hotel design.

OA is A - Why? After all, A) supports Travel Agent's argument. Travel agent tends to disagree with the author of the book. How could A) be a criticism of his argument?

I am unsure about all the five answer choices.

Thanks
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 134 [0], given: 50

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Travel Agent: In the book travelling abroad, the author clai [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2012, 09:32
voodoochild wrote:
Travel Agent: In the book travelling abroad, the author claims that European hotels are better designed than American hotels. This claim is justified by a thorough comparison of 25 populat European hotels and 25 popular American hotels. In this comparison, none of the American hotels were as complexly designed as any of the European ones.

The travel agent's argument is most vulnerable to which of the following criticisms?

d) Hotels in other parts of the world may be better designed than those in Europe.

OA is A - Why? After all, A) supports Travel Agent's argument. Travel agent tends to disagree with the author of the book. How could A) be a criticism of his argument?

Thanks

Answer choice A brings a classic flaw in the argument above. It shows that the selection of hotels are biased. It intentionally picked the better designed European Hotels or other way round u can say it picked the worse American hotels for comparison. ie. the selection of hotels are biased.

Regards
SD
-----------------------------
Press Kudos if you like my post.
Debrief 610-540-580-710(Long Journey): from-600-540-580-710-finally-achieved-in-4th-attempt-142456.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 7

Re: Travel Agent: In the book travelling abroad, the author clai [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2012, 17:41
a) The hotels reviewed by the book may be those that best serve its proposal. – affecting the conclusion by weakening
b) Hotels can be judged by other merits besides design –general statement. Not affecting the conclusion
c) The author of the book has written other books favoring European travel. --irrelevant
d) Hotels in other parts of the world may be better designed than those in Europe. --irrelevant
e) Someone who hasn't been to Europe might not appreciate hotel design. --irrelevant

Conclusion is, “European hotels are better designed than American hotels”

Please provide kudos if you like my post. Thank you.

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1029

Kudos [?]: 4458 [2] , given: 162

Re: Travel Agent: In the book travelling abroad, the author clai [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2012, 20:16
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
voodoochild wrote:

Thanks

Responding to a pm: Why do you feel that the travel agent is disagreeing with the author? The travel agent's argument is the same as the argument of the author. He says that the book claims so and so and the claim is justified by a thorough comparison of so and so etc. I don't see the travel agent disagreeing with the author or being skeptical of the book/author. If anything, the use of the word 'thorough' makes me feel that he is trying to persuade the listener of the author's opinion.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
Schools: IIM
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 11

Re: Travel Agent: In the book travelling abroad, the author clai [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2012, 04:00
A is not looking a good answer.

The premise says that the travel agent has compared 25 popular European hotels with 25 popular American hotels. So, how can he review the hotels which serve his purpose.
Manager
Manager
Schools: ABCD
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 78

GMAT Tests User
Re: Travel Agent: In the book travelling abroad, the author clai [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2012, 10:29
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
voodoochild wrote:

Thanks

Responding to a pm: Why do you feel that the travel agent is disagreeing with the author? The travel agent's argument is the same as the argument of the author. He says that the book claims so and so and the claim is justified by a thorough comparison of so and so etc. I don't see the travel agent disagreeing with the author or being skeptical of the book/author. If anything, the use of the word 'thorough' makes me feel that he is trying to persuade the listener of the author's opinion.

Karishma,
Thanks for your reply. The entire article, in my opinion, has a neutral language. The word "thorough" could also imply a neutral analysis about the study.
In fact, after re-reading the prompt, I feel that the agent is not agreeing. (confused :( )
Let's take an example :
Tom: Harry says that British cars are worse than German cars. Harry did a detailed study of 34 cars. The study didn't even consider Mclaren.

What does it tell you? Tom is disagreeing with Harry. Isn't it? In fact, this question appears to be a copy-paste from this gmatprep problem: http://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2012/07/ ... ing-skills

The gmatprep question clearly states the stand "In this the book must be right"..I just to make sure that I am not missing anything in this problem. Please let me know your thoughts.
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 249 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: Travel Agent: In the book travelling abroad, the author clai [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2012, 15:56
+1 A

Probably, the group of European hotels is not representative.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Affiliations: SAE
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 269

CAT Tests
Re: Travel Agent: In the book travelling abroad, the author clai [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2012, 21:03
voodoochild wrote:

Thanks

I agree with your point. a) supports Travel agent's argument.

First Attempt 710 - first-attempt-141273.html

Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 4458 [0], given: 162

Re: Travel Agent: In the book travelling abroad, the author clai [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2012, 21:17
Expert's post
voodoochild wrote:

Karishma,
Thanks for your reply. The entire article, in my opinion, has a neutral language. The word "thorough" could also imply a neutral analysis about the study.
In fact, after re-reading the prompt, I feel that the agent is not agreeing. (confused :( )
Let's take an example :
Tom: Harry says that British cars are worse than German cars. Harry did a detailed study of 34 cars. The study didn't even consider Mclaren.

What does it tell you? Tom is disagreeing with Harry. Isn't it? In fact, this question appears to be a copy-paste from this gmatprep problem: http://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2012/07/ ... ing-skills

The gmatprep question clearly states the stand "In this the book must be right"..I just to make sure that I am not missing anything in this problem. Please let me know your thoughts.

I replied to this post yesterday but I cannot see it anywhere today. Anyway, I will give the gist of what I wrote yesterday:

Quote:"Tom: Harry says that British cars are worse than German cars. Harry did a detailed study of 34 cars. The study didn't even consider Mclaren.

What does it tell you? Tom is disagreeing with Harry. Isn't it?"

You are right. I certainly get the feeling that Tom doesn't agree. But this argument does not parallel the original argument.

Quote: "Travel Agent: In the book travelling abroad, the author claims that European hotels are better designed than American hotels. This claim is justified by a thorough comparison of 25 populat European hotels and 25 popular American hotels. In this comparison, none of the American hotels were as complexly designed as any of the European ones. "

The last sentence is a part of the book's conclusion. The author of the book found that none of the American hotels were as complexly designed as any of the European ones and hence, none of the American hotels were as well designed as European ones.
The travel agent is just telling you what the author did and what he found. He is not giving his own input.

Quote: "In fact, this question appears to be a copy-paste from this gmatprep problem"

It is on the same lines, definitely. Actually, we strive to do that so that you can practice "GMAT like questions". Just like in the GMAT prep questions, here too the travel agent is supporting the book even though the stand is not clearly given.

Karishma
My Blog

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Current Student

CAT Tests
Re: Travel Agent: In the book travelling abroad, the author clai [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2012, 21:24
Thanks Karishma

But how do we know that the last sentence is book's conclusion and not agent's conclusion?

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 4458 [1] , given: 162

Re: Travel Agent: In the book travelling abroad, the author clai [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2012, 21:46
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
getgyan wrote:
Thanks Karishma

But how do we know that the last sentence is book's conclusion and not agent's conclusion?

How will the travel agent know that the American hotels were not as complexly designed as the European ones? Only the author, who has done a thorough comparison, can say it, isn't it?

Karishma
My Blog

Veritas Prep Reviews

Current Student

CAT Tests
Re: Travel Agent: In the book travelling abroad, the author clai [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2012, 21:53
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
getgyan wrote:
Thanks Karishma

How will the travel agent know that the American hotels were not as complexly designed as the European ones? Only the author, who has done a thorough comparison, can say it, isn't it?

Thanks,

But why not? It would then be an assumption. What if the last sentence was agent's conclusion? How would the answer change?

Re: Travel Agent: In the book travelling abroad, the author clai   [#permalink] 05 Sep 2012, 21:53