Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Aug 2014, 20:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Traveler: Central Airways has a far worse safety record that

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Traveler: Central Airways has a far worse safety record that [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2006, 10:50
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Traveler: Central Airways has a far worse safety record that Air Atlantic over the past few years, in terms of both frequency of accidents and severity of accidents. Therefore, although Air Atlantic is slightly more expensive, I will choose it over Central Airways for my flight from Smithville to Park City, since it is worth paying extra to have a safer flight.

Which of the following, if true, casts the most serious doubt on the traveler's argument?

A. Air Atlantic's flight from Smithville to Park City is nonstop, whereas Central Airways' flight touches down in Clarinda along the way.

B. Most Central Airways flights, but not it's flight from Smithville to Park City, use Sarview Airport, which because of it's mountainous location is one of the world's most dangerous.

C. For it's flight from Smithville to Park City, Central Airways uses a different model of airplane, with a smaller capacity, than the model Air Atlantic uses for its flight on the same route.

D. Only in the last few years has the cost of flying from Smithville to Park City been more expensive on Air Atlantic than Central Airways.

E. Although the frequency of accidents is greater on Central Airways, on both airlines the proportion of flights that have accidents is very small.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2006, 14:53
I will go with E.

"proportion of flights that have accidents is very small" - It means that probability of accident on either flights is almost same.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2006, 15:39
I thought E as well, but that's not the correct answer.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2006, 16:33
Will go for 'E'
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Safer Flight [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2006, 16:36
eazyb81 wrote:
Traveler: Central Airways has a far worse safety record that Air Atlantic over the past few years, in terms of both frequency of accidents and severity of accidents. Therefore, although Air Atlantic is slightly more expensive, I will choose it over Central Airways for my flight from Smithville to Park City, since it is worth paying extra to have a safer flight.

Which of the following, if true, casts the most serious doubt on the traveler's argument?

A. Air Atlantic's flight from Smithville to Park City is nonstop, whereas Central Airways' flight touches down in Clarinda along the way.
Eliminate. Don't care.

B. Most Central Airways flights, but not it's flight from Smithville to Park City, use Sarview Airport, which because of it's mountainous location is one of the world's most dangerous.
Keep. Pretty much tells us that the accidents are attributable to the mountains, which are not present on this route therefore, weakening the argument.

C. For it's flight from Smithville to Park City, Central Airways uses a different model of airplane, with a smaller capacity, than the model Air Atlantic uses for its flight on the same route.
Don't care.

D. Only in the last few years has the cost of flying from Smithville to Park City been more expensive on Air Atlantic than Central Airways.
Don't care.

E. Although the frequency of accidents is greater on Central Airways, on both airlines the proportion of flights that have accidents is very small.[
so? what about flights from Smithville to Park City? If the frequency of accidents is high on this particular route then the argument stands.

I go with B.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2006, 16:43
eazyb81 wrote:
I thought E as well, but that's not the correct answer.

Missed this statement some how in B
but not it's flight from Smithville to Park City

So it should be B
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2006, 18:05
Should be B because the conclusion is tied to the perceived safety on flights from two different airlines.

"Success is 99 percent failure" - Soichiro Honda

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2006, 18:06
OA is B.

This one tripped me up during a practice test.
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2006, 03:15
Clear B.
This is the only option which provides an alternate reason for the accidents of Central Airways.
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2006, 18:43
B too.
  [#permalink] 17 Sep 2006, 18:43