Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 07:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Traveling the back roads of Hungary, in 1905 Bla Bartk and

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Traveling the back roads of Hungary, in 1905 Bla Bartk and [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2004, 21:53
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

33% (01:36) correct 67% (00:47) wrong based on 24 sessions
Traveling the back roads of Hungary, in 1905 Béla Bartók and Zoltán Kodály began their pioneering work in ethnomusicology, and they were armed only with an Edison phonograph and insatiable curiosity.

(A) Traveling the back roads of Hungary, in 1905 Bela Bartok and Zoltan Kodaly began their pioneering work in ethnomusicology, and they were armed only

(B) In 1905, Bela Bartok and Zoltan Kodaly, traveling the back roads of Hungary, began their pioneering work in ethnomusicology, and they were only armed

(C) In 1905 Bela Bartok and Zoltan Kodaly began their pioneering work in ethnomusicology, traveling the back roads of Hungary armed only

(D) Having traveled the back roads of Hungary, in 1905 Bela Bartok and Zoltan Kodaly began their pioneering work in ethnomusicology; they were only armed

(E) Bela Bartok and Zoltan Kodaly, in 1905 began their pioneering work in ethnomusicology, traveling the back roads of Hungary, arming themselves only
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2004, 22:11
clearly "C".

Some fine points:

1. "armed only with X and Y" is correct compare with "only armed with X and Y" bcoz "only" needs to modify - X and Y.

2. "began" and "armed" - Simple past go in parallel with each other.

3. "having travelled" - Pefect participle in choice "D" is worng here.

4. "traveling the back roads of Hungary" needs to modify the subject - "Bela Bartok and Zoltan Kodaly"

please post OA and Explanation.

Perseverance, Hard Work and self confidence

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2004, 22:18
Yeah
C it is

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... ela+bartok

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... ela+bartok

510 on my first GMAT. 610 on second GMAT.!
The struggle continues.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

answer by the book [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2004, 23:50
C is correct answer.. don't have the explaination...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 106 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - found it tough... [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2011, 14:58
C it is, simple, concise, gramatically right!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 34

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - found it tough... [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2011, 17:03
shantanu4678 wrote:
Traveling the back roads of Hungary, in 1905 Béla Bartók and Zoltán Kodály began their pioneering work in ethnomusicology, and they were armed only with an Edison phonograph and insatiable curiosity.

(A) Traveling the back roads of Hungary, in 1905 Bela Bartok and Zoltan Kodaly began their pioneering work in ethnomusicology, and they were armed only

(B) In 1905, Bela Bartok and Zoltan Kodaly, traveling the back roads of Hungary, began their pioneering work in ethnomusicology, and they were only armed

(C) In 1905 Bela Bartok and Zoltan Kodaly began their pioneering work in ethnomusicology, traveling the back roads of Hungary armed only

(D) Having traveled the back roads of Hungary, in 1905 Bela Bartok and Zoltan Kodaly began their pioneering work in ethnomusicology; they were only armed

(E) Bela Bartok and Zoltan Kodaly, in 1905 began their pioneering work in ethnomusicology, traveling the back roads of Hungary, arming themselves only

I selected B because of two reasons.
1. We need to put Noun modifier as close as possible so in (B) "traveling the back roads of Hungary" is closest to Noun "Bela Bartok and Zoltan Kodaly".
2. I think we can not start sentence with "In +year" without following Comma. "Experts please comment"

Example from one report (http://www.apa.org/pi/women/programs/girls/report.aspx)
In 2004, the APA Task Force on Advertising and Children produced a report examining broad issues related to advertising to children.

In C, Can someone please explain if "traveling the back roads of Hungary armed only............... insatiable curiosity" is acting as a single modifier to sentence then why is it not modifying ethnomusicology.

Guys, I can not see any clear cut explanation for this problem. Please help.

"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything.
Thanks Rphardu

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 12-22-2011
GPA: 3.81
WE: General Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - found it tough... [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2011, 12:08
I have the same reasoning in this problem

can sembody explane the elimination process

rphardu wrote:
shantanu4678 wrote:

I selected B because of two reasons.
1. We need to put Noun modifier as close as possible so in (B) "traveling the back roads of Hungary" is closest to Noun "Bela Bartok and Zoltan Kodaly".
2. I think we can not start sentence with "In +year" without following Comma. "Experts please comment"

Example from one report (http://www.apa.org/pi/women/programs/girls/report.aspx)
In 2004, the APA Task Force on Advertising and Children produced a report examining broad issues related to advertising to children.

In C, Can someone please explain if "traveling the back roads of Hungary armed only............... insatiable curiosity" is acting as a single modifier to sentence then why is it not modifying ethnomusicology.

Guys, I can not see any clear cut explanation for this problem. Please help.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 33

Re: Traveling the back roads of Hungary, in 1905 Bla Bartk and [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2013, 07:26
I did not select option c becuase I felt there should have been a comma before armed. I selected E. Whats wrong with it? traveling and arming are made parallel. what do the expert's say?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 36

Re: Traveling the back roads of Hungary, in 1905 Bla Bartk and [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2013, 13:56
If C is correct then a comma needs to be present after "back roads of Hungary ". If not Option C reads as if the "roads are armed" and not "bela and Zoltan". Please correct if I am wrong.

Maadhu

MGMAT1 - 540 ( Trying to improve )

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Traveling the back roads of Hungary, in 1905 Bla Bartk and [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2013, 14:54
Imo B
Another reason for the correctness of B is
Only armed is correct as compared to armed only.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2
Re: Traveling the back roads of Hungary, in 1905 Bla Bartk and   [#permalink] 24 Jun 2013, 14:54