Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 20:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Traveling the back roads of Hungary, in 1905 Bla Bartk and

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 4

Traveling the back roads of Hungary, in 1905 Bla Bartk and [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2009, 21:32
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

83% (02:02) correct 17% (00:22) wrong based on 14 sessions
Traveling the back roads of Hungary, in 1905 Béla Bartók and Zoltán Kodály began their pioneering work in ethnomusicology, and they were armed only with an Edison phonograph and insatiable curiosity.
(A) Traveling the back roads of Hungary, in 1905 Bela Bartok and Zoltan Kodaly began their pioneering work in ethnomusicology, and they were armed only
(B) In 1905, Bela Bartok and Zoltan Kodaly, traveling the back roads of Hungary, began their pioneering work in ethnomusicology, and they were only armed
(C) In 1905 Bela Bartok and Zoltan Kodaly began their pioneering work in ethnomusicology, traveling the back roads of Hungary armed only
(D) Having traveled the back roads of Hungary, in 1905 Bela Bartok and Zoltan Kodaly began their pioneering work in ethnomusicology; they were only armed
(E) Bela Bartok and Zoltan Kodaly, in 1905 began their pioneering work in ethnomusicology, traveling the back roads of Hungary, arming themselves only

I think it is C..

[Reveal] Spoiler:
C

Last edited by smashingpumpkins on 17 Jun 2009, 23:29, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 92

GMAT Tests User
Re: Bela Bartok and Zoltan Kodaly - Motorcycle Diaries [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2009, 04:14
I'll go with C. Rest have modifier, "having" errors.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: Bela Bartok and Zoltan Kodaly - Motorcycle Diaries [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2009, 11:46
IMO B
I think traveling is incorrectly modifying ethnomusicology
Whats the OA
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: Bela Bartok and Zoltan Kodaly - Motorcycle Diaries [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2009, 12:24
IMO B. What's wrong with A? I think that it's 'in 1905' after comma. Just making sure..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Bela Bartok and Zoltan Kodaly - Motorcycle Diaries [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2009, 15:29
@pmal04 - I think starting the sentence with "In 1905" is better than how it is mentioned in A
Between B and C - I will go with C , B has a modifier error

Always tag your question

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Bela Bartok and Zoltan Kodaly - Motorcycle Diaries [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2009, 21:26
IMO B .. OA plz...
All others have modifier error....
E & C are wronmg as it seems that ethnomusicology is travelling back...modifier problem
In A "Traveling the back roads of Hungary" should be followed by Béla Bartók and Zoltán Kodály ..
In D also the sentence is not formatted correctly...
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Bela Bartok and Zoltan Kodaly - Motorcycle Diaries [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2009, 03:12
I agree with option C
(C) In 1905 Bela Bartok and Zoltan Kodaly began their pioneering work in ethnomusicology, traveling the back roads of Hungary armed only

___________ with an Edison phonograph and insatiable curiosity.

A comma is placed to bring a pause in the speech. Words written within 2 commas in a sentence provide additional details, and even if not read, the sentence still retains its meaning.
When stressing on a date of an year, it should be separated from the main sentence by a comma.

(A) Traveling the back roads of Hungary,in 1905 Bela Bartok and Zoltan Kodaly began their pioneering work in ethnomusicology, and they were armed only.
(B) In 1905, Bela Bartok and Zoltan Kodaly, traveling the back roads of Hungary, began their pioneering work in ethnomusicology, and they were only armed,
(D) Having traveled the back roads of Hungary, in 1905 Bela Bartok and Zoltan Kodaly began their pioneering work in ethnomusicology;(incorrect placing of semi colon) they were only armed
(E) Bela Bartok and Zoltan Kodaly, in 1905 began their pioneering work in ethnomusicology, traveling the back roads of Hungary, arming themselves only

"Always....Read between the lines"

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Bela Bartok and Zoltan Kodaly - Motorcycle Diaries [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2009, 04:18
Its has to be between A, C and E..But A and E have modifier errors...E is very passive as well...C is the best choice...

Choose Life

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Bela Bartok and Zoltan Kodaly - Motorcycle Diaries [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2009, 07:12
c) In 1905 Bela Bartok and Zoltan Kodaly began their pioneering work in ethnomusicology, traveling the back roads of Hungary armed only

In the above option,

1) shouldnt there be a coma after 1905 ?
2) travelling back roads of hungary and armed only with XX... are 2 diff prashes.. shouldnt they be connected properly.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 1

Re: Bela Bartok and Zoltan Kodaly - Motorcycle Diaries [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2009, 07:26
This post received
KUDOS
Neochronic wrote:
c) In 1905 Bela Bartok and Zoltan Kodaly began their pioneering work in ethnomusicology, traveling the back roads of Hungary armed only

In the above option,

2) travelling back roads of hungary and armed only with XX... are 2 diff prashes.. shouldnt they be connected properly.

1. yep! after 1905, there should be a comma
2. Guess what? Option C is wrong too! But it is the best in the lot.

In 1905 Bela Bartok and Zoltan Kodaly began their pioneering work in ethnomusicology, traveling the back roads of Hungary armed only says Hungarian roads were armed!! :shock:

Option C should have read In 1905, Bela Bartok and Zoltan Kodaly began their pioneering work in ethnomusicology, traveling the back roads of Hungary, armed only

These questions are not from 'reliable' sources so you just have to settle with the fact that you have to choose the 'best answer' :roll:

The fun in answering such questions is that you kinda get digging deeper into elements of the sentence to find out the error; makes a huge difference in your learning! :)

Is this okay?

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Bela Bartok and Zoltan Kodaly - Motorcycle Diaries [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2010, 21:42
paneer wrote:
Neochronic wrote:

In the above option,

1. yep! after 1905, there should be a comma
2. Guess what? Option C is wrong too! But it is the best in the lot.

In 1905 Bela Bartok and Zoltan Kodaly began their pioneering work in ethnomusicology, traveling the back roads of Hungary armed only says Hungarian roads were armed!! :shock:

Option C should have read In 1905, Bela Bartok and Zoltan Kodaly began their pioneering work in ethnomusicology, traveling the back roads of Hungary, armed only

These questions are not from 'reliable' sources so you just have to settle with the fact that you have to choose the 'best answer' :roll:

The fun in answering such questions is that you kinda get digging deeper into elements of the sentence to find out the error; makes a huge difference in your learning! :)

For anwer C to be correct, there has to be a comma before armed. Without comma armed seems to modify Hungary. There has to be some misprint else option B is the best answer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 33

Re: Traveling the back roads of Hungary, in 1905 Bla Bartk and [#permalink] New post 22 May 2012, 04:40
IMO B. C should have the comma before armed. Thats why B makes sense. additionally travelling correctly modifies the people involved.
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1429 [0], given: 245

Re: Traveling the back roads of Hungary, in 1905 Bla Bartk and [#permalink] New post 25 May 2012, 05:51
Expert's post
In B, the placement of the adverb only creates a problem. It means that only Bela Bartok and Zoltan Kodaly were armed with xxxxx, while nobody else was or were armed. This is altered intent.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 33

Re: Traveling the back roads of Hungary, in 1905 Bla Bartk and [#permalink] New post 25 May 2012, 06:32
daagh wrote:
In B, the placement of the adverb only creates a problem. It means that only Bela Bartok and Zoltan Kodaly were armed with xxxxx, while nobody else was or were armed. This is altered intent.

daagh, i think for change of intent it should have been 'and only Bela Bartok and Zoltan were armed' instead of the current line. I think only as an adverb is modifying the verb armed.
VP
VP
Followers: 204

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Traveling the back roads of Hungary, in 1905 Bla Bartk and [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2014, 01:53
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: International Business, Real Estate
GMAT Date: 10-22-2012

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 42

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Traveling the back roads of Hungary, in 1905 Bla Bartk and [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2014, 08:12
smashingpumpkins wrote:
Traveling the back roads of Hungary, in 1905 Béla Bartók and Zoltán Kodály began their pioneering work in ethnomusicology, and they were armed only with an Edison phonograph and insatiable curiosity.
(A) Traveling the back roads of Hungary, in 1905 Bela Bartok and Zoltan Kodaly began their pioneering work in ethnomusicology, and they were armed only
(B) In 1905, Bela Bartok and Zoltan Kodaly, traveling the back roads of Hungary, began their pioneering work in ethnomusicology, and they were only armed
(D) Having traveled the back roads of Hungary, in 1905 Bela Bartok and Zoltan Kodaly began their pioneering work in ethnomusicology; they were only armed

I think it is C..

[Reveal] Spoiler:
C

why do you think that in option C.... traveling the back roads of Hungary armed only is correctly modifying bela and zoltan?
im not sure.
can someone pls explain.??
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 17

Premium Member
Re: Traveling the back roads of Hungary, in 1905 Bla Bartk and [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2014, 08:31
Quote:
why do you think that in option C.... traveling the back roads of Hungary armed only is correctly modifying bela and zoltan?
im not sure.
can someone pls explain.??

this question is not reliable . nothing is right in this question .ALL options are wrong !!
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Insurance)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 18

Premium Member
Re: Traveling the back roads of Hungary, in 1905 Bla Bartk and [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2014, 20:58
smashingpumpkins wrote:

I think it is C..

[Reveal] Spoiler:
C

A - travelling . . . , in 1905 - wrong
B & D - only armed

For me it is between C and E.
E - arming themselves only seems odd

So I pick C

Never give up, never celebrate, never leave your spot until it is finally over
We are winning this GMAT-war together

"Your one spot for all your GMAT and B-school ranking know hows" - Click here

Re: Traveling the back roads of Hungary, in 1905 Bla Bartk and   [#permalink] 10 Jul 2014, 20:58