Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:42 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:MIT
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Harvard '11
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
WE 1: Hi-tech Product Development
Send PM
Re: Trending Younger? [#permalink]
kryzak wrote:
and one that I think schools like Kellogg, UCLA, Wharton, Haas, and others do very well. :)

And Ross my dear friend :-) Don't you forget Ross!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
I don`t think it has anything to do with age at all.
It`s all about recent quality of experience, ergo someone with no experience would have limited quality experience. Likewise someone with 20 years experience may only have had a few years recent quality experience (they may have been doing something else for a while before acquiring leadership experience).

Also a key differentiator between EMBA and MBA is a lot of EMBA`s require company sponsorship, so it excludes a lot of people (the costs are usually higher). Also the EMBA is usually for career enhancers and not for career switchers/changers.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
But thats an unfair comparison. What about 2 years post MBA who is going to be the better business leader. Yes 10 years post MBA they will probably be about equal and one will be older than the other. The guy who graduated from the MBA at 26 may work for 6 or 7 years longer than the guy who graduated at 32 but how many of them will be with the same company for those 30 odd years?

Companies recruiting fresh MBAs are goign to want the most bang for their buck. I think thats why people say its tougher during recruiting for a 25 year old than a 29 year old. Turn over is pretty high these days at most companies so they wont be looking at who is going to be around in 2040 but will be looking at who will be the better performer for them in 2012.

i think the comparison is fair. obviously older mba grads will be better managers straight out of school, but the question asked was whether or not the trend of starting mbas younger was good for american business. the earlier you start the more years you will have to benefit from the mba experience. back in the day, admitting students straight out of college was the norm, and american business was just fine. some people seem to think of the mba as the capstone of your managerial career, whereas i think i can be a launching point just as college is the launching point for most careers. should we delay high school students from entering college so they will have some real world experience and be "better college students?" would that be good for american business? i dont think so. i think it is best to go when you are ready, and there are many with 2-4 years exp that are ready.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
I think a lot of this is being driven by recruiter demand. For example, it seems that schools that tend to have more of a marketing and general management focus prefer an older crowd. This can be explained by the fact that older folks will fit in better into the middle-management tracks offered by Fortune 500 companies - they're more settled, they may be married with kids, etc. and would be more interested in quality of life and a house in the suburbs. Examples of schools with a lot of this type of recruiting would be Kellogg, Duke, and Haas.

Schools that have a large amount of investment banking and management consulting recruiting may prefer to trend younger, as a 25 or 26 year old is far more likely to be willing to live in a studio in Manhattan, be on the road 4 days/week, and/or work an 80 hour week. Examples of schools with a lot of this type of recruiting would be HBS, Stanford, Wharton, Columbia, and Chicago.

This is a gross overgeneralization, and I understand that, but that seems to be one of the few logical explanations I've managed to justify the differences with.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
As some have already said, it's all about QUALITY of experience, not necessarily quantity.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2