Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:16 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 251 [251]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618614 [90]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 119 [43]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [4]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: In the figure shown, the measure of angle PRS is how many degrees grea [#permalink]
Kudos
grafical solution is always easier.
Answer is D.
Attachments

grafik.JPG
grafik.JPG [ 9.73 KiB | Viewed 99473 times ]

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4927 [8]
Given Kudos: 690
Concentration: Accounting
Send PM
Re: In the figure shown, the measure of angle PRS is how many degrees grea [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
1) Angle PRS = QPR + PQR
PRS = 30 + PQR
PRS - PQR = 30 SUFFICIENT
2) PQR + PRQ = 150
PQR + 180-PRS = 150
PRS - PQR = 30 SUFFICIENT

ANS. D
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [11]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi, there! I'm happy to help with this one. :)

What's tricky about this problem is that there are three different triangles in the diagram, and we have to apply the "180 degree Triangle Theorem" in each one.

First of all, from the diagram, we know in triangle PRS, that (angle SPR) + (angle PRS) + 90 = 180, or in other words, (angle SPR) + (angle PRS) = 90

In triangle PQS, we know that (angle SPQ) + (angle SQR) + 90 = 180, or in other words, (angle SPQ) + (angle PQR) = 90.

Set those two equal:

(angle SPR) + (angle PRS) = (angle SPQ) + (angle PQR)

(angle SPQ) - (angle SPR) = (angle PRS) - (angle PQR)

The question is asking: "the measure of angle PRS is how many degrees greater than the measure of angle PQR?" In other words, they are asking for (angle PRS) - (angle PQR), and our equation above tells us that: if we know (angle SPQ) - (angle SPR), then we know (angle PRS) - (angle PQR).

Statement #1: (angle QPR) = 30 degrees

We know that (angle SPQ) = (angle SPR) + (angle QPR) (big angle equals the sum of the two little angles the comprise it)

Therefore (angle SPQ) = (angle SPR) + 30 --> (angle SPQ) - (angle SPR) = 30 ---> (angle PRS) - (angle PQR) = 30

Statement #1 is sufficient by itself. .

Statement #2: (angle PQR) + (angle PRQ) = 150 degrees

Well, in triangle PQR, we know that: (angle PQR) + (angle PRQ) + (angle QPR) = 180 degrees

If (angle PQR) + (angle PRQ) = 150 degrees, then 150 + (angle QPR) = 180 degrees ---> (angle QPR) = 30, and we have the same information we had in statement #1, so statement #2 is also sufficient by itself.

Answer Choice D. Does that make sense?

Here's another GMAT DS question on the 180 degree Triangle Theorem, just for practice.

https://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/1009

The question at that link should be followed by a video explanation of the answer.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Mike :)
Attachments

triangle PQS.jpg
triangle PQS.jpg [ 14.73 KiB | Viewed 121704 times ]

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
In the figure shown, the measure of angle PRS is how many degrees greater than the measure of angle PQR.

Attachment:
TriangleQPS.JPG
Q: <PRS-<PQR=?

(1) The measure of angle QPR is 30°. <QPR=30 --> in triangle QPR three angles sum=180=<QPR+<PQR+<PRQ -->180=30+<PQR+(180-<PRS) --> 30=<PRS-<PQR SUFFICIENT

(2) The sum of the measures of angles PQR and PRQ is 150°. Basically the same information is given <PQR+<PRQ=150 --> <PQR+180-<PRS=150 --> 30=<PRS-<PQR SUFFICIENT

Answer: D.

Hi, sorry for the stupid question but it is something I can't grasp.

The text when it refers to angles PRS or PGR to which angles is it visually referring to?

I literally can't understand on the chart which are the angles the problem is asking about.

Thanks for your help.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618614 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
jzpat wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
In the figure shown, the measure of angle PRS is how many degrees greater than the measure of angle PQR.

Attachment:
The attachment TriangleQPS.JPG is no longer available
Q: <PRS-<PQR=?

(1) The measure of angle QPR is 30°. <QPR=30 --> in triangle QPR three angles sum=180=<QPR+<PQR+<PRQ -->180=30+<PQR+(180-<PRS) --> 30=<PRS-<PQR SUFFICIENT

(2) The sum of the measures of angles PQR and PRQ is 150°. Basically the same information is given <PQR+<PRQ=150 --> <PQR+180-<PRS=150 --> 30=<PRS-<PQR SUFFICIENT

Answer: D.

Hi, sorry for the stupid question but it is something I can't grasp.

The text when it refers to angles PRS or PGR to which angles is it visually referring to?

I literally can't understand on the chart which are the angles the problem is asking about.

Thanks for your help.

An angle can be identified like this: ∠PQR. The angle symbol, followed by three points that define the angle, with the middle letter being the vertex, and the other two on the legs.

Attachment:
Angle.png
Angle.png [ 5.63 KiB | Viewed 119198 times ]
So in the figure above the red angle would be ∠PQR or ∠RQP (so long as the vertex is the middle letter, the order is not important).

Hope it's clear.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6040 [0]
Given Kudos: 543
Send PM
angle PRS = QPR ( 30) + PQR is this exterior angle property?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618614 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
fozzzy wrote:
angle PRS = QPR ( 30) + PQR is this exterior angle property?

Yes it is. Angle PRS is an exterior angle of angle PRQ: <PRS = 180 - <PRQ = 180 - (180 - <QPR - <PQR) = <QPR + <PQR
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: General Management
Send PM
Bookmarks
Hi I used the following method. Turned out to be the quickest for me.

Theorem: An exterior angle of a triangle is equal to the sum of the opposite interior angles.

So, as per the theorem, for Triangle PRQ we have ...
PRS = RPQ + PQR

which gives,

RPQ= PRS - PQR .

Now if we know the measure of RPQ. We are sorted. :D

1) RPQ = 30. SUFFICIENT.

2) same as 1. SUFFICIENT

So D. :-D
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22041 [4]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos