Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 00:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Tricky 750+

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: Engineering
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 0

Re: Tricky 750+ [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2010, 06:52
Of course, in this one (the one that lethal just posted) choice C is no doubt the correct one. The "experiencing" and "registering" in B is definitely awkward. However, the presence of "experiencing" in original version of (C) made it more awkward than (B).

All things are possible to those who believe.

Current Student
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Marketing (Other)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Tricky 750+ [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2010, 06:03
Financier wrote:
The question is from GMATPrep, it's correct and the OA is "C".

If you search in internet, you will see that even MGMAT instructors find this question weird. I'm not satisfyed with their explanation and don't have anything better. Let's pm our instructors :)

Yup I agree with Financier....this question is weird

Kidchaos

http://www.laptopskinvault.com

Follow The Laptop Skin Vault on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TheLaptopSkinVault
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/LaptopSkinVault

Consider Kudos if you think the Post is good
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot. Nothing is going to change. It's not. - Dr. Seuss

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Re: Tricky 750+ [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2010, 06:08
kidchaos wrote:
Financier wrote:

If you search in internet, you will see that even MGMAT instructors find this question weird. I'm not satisfyed with their explanation and don't have anything better. Let's pm our instructors :)

If you look a couple posts above I found the correct version of the question which makes choice C much better.
Current Student
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Marketing (Other)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Tricky 750+ [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2010, 06:21
Lethal wrote:
kidchaos wrote:
Financier wrote:

If you look a couple posts above I found the correct version of the question which makes choice C much better.

Thanx A lot lethal guess that teaches me to read the whole post...lol :D

Kidchaos

http://www.laptopskinvault.com

Follow The Laptop Skin Vault on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TheLaptopSkinVault
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/LaptopSkinVault

Consider Kudos if you think the Post is good
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot. Nothing is going to change. It's not. - Dr. Seuss

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 35

Re: Tricky 750+ [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2010, 06:23
This was tricky. My way of analysis:

The first clue I took is "usage of their" in the sentence hence I need the sentence to aim at group of people. Left me with A, B and C

A. of people initially registering emotions like sadness or anger in much the same way as - parallelism does not exit for "registering"
B. of people initially registering emotions such as sadness or anger much the same way as experiencing - kept this for parallel construction (registering...experiencing)
C. that people initially register emotions such as sadness or anger in much the same way as they experiencing - eliminated this for lack of parallelism.
D. that a person initially registers emotions such as sadness or anger much the same way as experiencing
E. that a person initially registers emotions like sadness or anger much the same way as

So I go with B

OA please?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Re: Tricky 750+ [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2010, 06:31
amma4u wrote:
This was tricky. My way of analysis:

The first clue I took is "usage of their" in the sentence hence I need the sentence to aim at group of people. Left me with A, B and C

A. of people initially registering emotions like sadness or anger in much the same way as - parallelism does not exit for "registering"
B. of people initially registering emotions such as sadness or anger much the same way as experiencing - kept this for parallel construction (registering...experiencing)
C. that people initially register emotions such as sadness or anger in much the same way as they experiencing - eliminated this for lack of parallelism.
D. that a person initially registers emotions such as sadness or anger much the same way as experiencing
E. that a person initially registers emotions like sadness or anger much the same way as

So I go with B

OA please?

Use this corrected version:

Scientists have found new evidence of people initially registering emotions like sadness or anger in much the same way as heartburn--by monitoring what's going on within their bodies.

(A) of people initially registering emotions like sadness or anger in much the same way as
(B) of people initially registering emotions such as sadness or anger much the same as experiencing
(C) that people initially register emotions such as sadness or anger in much the same way as they experience
(D) that a person initially registers emotions such as sadness or anger much the same way as experiencing
(E) that a person initially registers emotions like sadness or anger much the same as

OA is C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2013
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 194

Reviews Badge
Re: Tricky 750+ [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2010, 06:58
Guys, let's think that the question is wrongly printed.

Last edited by Financier on 30 Sep 2010, 07:32, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: Engineering

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 0

Re: Tricky 750+ [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2010, 07:23
I think we have to be careful about posting questions from prep companies and other sources. The standard and correctness of the question is as important as the right OA.

Looks like this particular question is a controversial one ! :P

All things are possible to those who believe.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 20

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Tricky 750+ [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2010, 07:48
Financier,

Option C in your original word cannot be correctly posted: C. that people initially register emotions such as sadness or anger in much the same way as they experiencing

- "as they experiencing" can not appear in the right answer choice - as its totally wrong... as they "are" experiencing or as they "were" experiencing are at least grammatically right but "as they experiencing" cannot be correct

Looking at the MGMAT forum, C is differently worded - kudos to you for picking out this question but did GMAT prep throw the version of C you initially provided?

Scientists have found new evidence of people initially registering emotions like sadness or anger in much the same way as heartburn--by monitoring what's going on within their bodies.

(A) of people initially registering emotions like sadness or anger in much the same way as
(B) of people initially registering emotions such as sadness or anger much the same as experiencing
(C) that people initially register emotions such as sadness or anger in much the same way as they experience
(D) that a person initially registers emotions such as sadness or anger much the same way as experiencing
(E) that a person initially registers emotions like sadness or anger much the same as
Re: Tricky 750+   [#permalink] 30 Sep 2010, 07:48