Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:51 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1622 [40]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2984 [15]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [15]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools:Wharton, Kellogg, Duke (Health care management)
 Q48  V47 GMAT 2: 680  Q49  V34
GPA: 78
Send PM
General Discussion
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1726 [2]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Re: The manager of regional sales spoke with distributors about the late [#permalink]
Kudos
B. "spoke to" is better than "spoke with".
Both acts should be in past tense as both happened at the same time.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: General
Send PM
Re: The manager of regional sales spoke with distributors about the late [#permalink]
Just a doubt, I thought 'spoke with' and 'talk to' are correct idioms .

Is is not always the case ?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 5422 [2]
Given Kudos: 40
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Another point:
1. ...spoke to the distributors about the late shipment... - Correct style
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [3]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Ya you are right. even if you go by MG MAT SC it says that if the order of events are clear without use of Past perfect (like by when, after, later etc) then its OK to use simple past and skip away with PP. However one cannot elliminate an option based on only this. A sentence with PP and also with 'after' can be a right option if no other option is shorter and more concise and ya grammatically correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [3]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Kudos
I have 1 concern with this question .. please clarify ..

Here a discussion takes place, so shouldn't it be 'spoke with' and not 'spoke to' ?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2984 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Expert Reply
Only the idiom "spoke to", but, because this SC problem tests almost no grammar and only idioms, it's atypical of the GMAT SC.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [5]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
IMO: Speak to or speak with do not indicate friendliness or unfriendliness. Speak to can be unilateral, in which case, the audience may not be taking part. It may just be a sermon. On the other hand, Speak with certainly involves speaking by the opposite side. Then only it becomes a conversation. In this context, the text indicates it is also a heated discussion with distributors and hence it may mean lot of speaking with lots of people. So speak with is more appropriate contextually.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 530
Send PM
Why in (C), had is wrong, as speaking to the manager happened first, and then the fee was reduced?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
The manager of regional sales spoke with distributors about the late [#permalink]