Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 04:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Triplets Adam, Bruce, and Charlie enter a triathlon. If

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 530 Q48 V16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [2] , given: 1

Triplets Adam, Bruce, and Charlie enter a triathlon. If [#permalink] New post 16 May 2012, 07:03
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

58% (02:00) correct 42% (02:47) wrong based on 172 sessions
Triplets Adam, Bruce, and Charlie enter a triathlon. If there are 9 competitors in the triathlon, and medals are awarded for first, second, and third place, what is the probability that at least two of the triplets will win a medal?

A. 3/14
B. 19/84
C. 11/42
D. 15/28
E. 3/4

Manhattan Advanced Gmat Quant Work out set1 4th question
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Bunuel on 16 May 2012, 07:17, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question, added the answer choices and OA
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
9 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3494

Kudos [?]: 26260 [9] , given: 2708

Re: Triplets Adam, Bruce, and Charlie enter a triathlon. If [#permalink] New post 16 May 2012, 07:28
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
cnon wrote:
Triplets Adam, Bruce, and Charlie enter a triathlon. If there are 9 competitors in the triathlon, and medals are awarded for first, second, and third place, what is the probability that at least two of the triplets will win a medal?

A. 3/14
B. 19/84
C. 11/42
D. 15/28
E. 3/4

Welcome to GMAT Club. Below is a solution to the question.

The probability that at least two of the triplets will win a medal is the sum of the probability that exactly two of the triplets will win a medal and the probability that all three will win a medal.

The probability that exactly two of the triplets will win a medal is \frac{C^2_3*C^1_6}{C^3_9}=\frac{18}{84}, where C^2_3 is ways to select which two of the triplets will win a medal, C^1_6 is ways to select third medal winner out of the remaining 6 competitors and C^3_9 is total ways to select 3 winners out of 9;

The probability that all three will win a medal is \frac{C^3_3}{C^3_9}=\frac{1}{84};

P=\frac{18}{84}+\frac{1}{84}=\frac{19}{84}.

Answer: B.

Hope it's clear.

P.S. Please post answer choices for PS problems.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 111 [2] , given: 102

Re: Triplets Adam, Bruce, and Charlie enter a triathlon. If [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2013, 11:22
This post received
KUDOS
cnon wrote:

A. 3/14
B. 19/84
C. 11/42
D. 15/28
E. 3/4

My explanation with solution:(Diagram)
Attachments

triplets.png
triplets.png [ 35.25 KiB | Viewed 3084 times ]

Asif vai.....

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 4

Re: Triplets Adam, Bruce, and Charlie enter a triathlon. If [#permalink] New post 07 May 2013, 19:50
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hey wfa,

You're right about order not mattering but your math suggests you're missing a fundamental counting concept.

P(2 triplets) is not simply equal to 3/9*2/8*6/7 as this would suggest a sequence where order matters. Rather, the math is (number of successful outcomes)/(total number of outcomes)

Total # of ways you could pick 2 of the triplets among the medallists is C(2,3), AND total # ways you could pick 1 non-triplet among the medallists is C(1,6), that's 3*6= 18

Total # outcomes is the # of ways you could pick ANYONE to be medallists, so C(6,9) = 84

P(2 triplets) = 18/84

I know u we're off by a factor of 3, and you think it's an order vs no-order issue, but really, you were attempting sequential counting, but should have been using combinatorials

Hope this clarifies things

Got questions?
gmatbydavid.com

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 26260 [1] , given: 2708

Re: Triplets Adam, Bruce, and Charlie enter a triathlon. If [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2013, 07:04
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
domfrancondumas wrote:
Questions like this: probability and combination take some time to solve.. In most cases you have to read the question again... Is there a shortcut for solving them?
If not, how many minutes should i give to the problem before quitting(or selecting some answer randomly) in the test?

Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't spend more than 3 minutes on a question. When close to that and still don't know the answer spend the next 5-15 seconds for an educated guess.

As for combinatorics and probability questions: GMAT combination/probability questions are fairly straightforward and as practice shows you will encounter at max 3 questions from both fields combined.

Theory on Combinations: math-combinatorics-87345.html

DS questions on Combinations: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=31
PS questions on Combinations: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=52

Tough and tricky questions on Combinations: hardest-area-questions-probability-and-combinations-101361.html

Theory on probability problems: math-probability-87244.html

All DS probability problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=33
All PS probability problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=54

Tough probability questions: hardest-area-questions-probability-and-combinations-101361.html

Hope this helps.

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 92

Re: Triplets Adam, Bruce, and Charlie enter a triathlon. If [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2013, 03:32
This post received
KUDOS
Bunuel wrote:
domfrancondumas wrote:
Questions like this: probability and combination take some time to solve.. In most cases you have to read the question again... Is there a shortcut for solving them?
If not, how many minutes should i give to the problem before quitting(or selecting some answer randomly) in the test?

Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't spend more than 3 minutes on a question. When close to that and still don't know the answer spend the next 5-15 seconds for an educated guess.

As for combinatorics and probability questions: GMAT combination/probability questions are fairly straightforward and as practice shows you will encounter at max 3 questions from both fields combined.

Theory on Combinations: math-combinatorics-87345.html

DS questions on Combinations: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=31
PS questions on Combinations: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=52

Tough and tricky questions on Combinations: hardest-area-questions-probability-and-combinations-101361.html

Theory on probability problems: math-probability-87244.html

All DS probability problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=33
All PS probability problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=54

Tough probability questions: hardest-area-questions-probability-and-combinations-101361.html

Hope this helps.

Thanks a ton Bunuel..... :) :) :)
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 6

Re: Triplets Adam, Bruce, and Charlie enter a triathlon. If [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2013, 22:20
This post received
KUDOS
9! / 3!6! = 84. So our total possible number of combinations is 84

We have 3! / 3! = 1. That is, there is only one instance when all three brothers win medals.

First, for the three who win medals, we have 3! / 2! = 3. For the six who don't win medals, we have 6! / 5! = 6. We multiply these two numbers to get our total number: 3 × 6 = 18.

The brothers win at least two medals in 18 + 1 = 19 circumstances. Our total number of circumstances is 84, so our probability is 19 / 84.
The correct answer is B.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 530 Q48 V16

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Triplets Adam, Bruce, and Charlie enter a triathlon. If [#permalink] New post 16 May 2012, 15:52
Thank you so much,i will take into account.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Babson '14
GMAT Date: 02-28-2013

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 56

Re: Triplets Adam, Bruce, and Charlie enter a triathlon. If [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2012, 14:42
From what I understand in the question is that there are 3 teams (triplets) of 3 people each competing together , so how is it possible that only 2 triplets/ teams win medals as there would be a definite 1,2,3 position in case of 3 teams. ?? ---. because the word triathlon implies to me that the teams win not the individuals (teams with cumulative individual lowest score times win) ....

Now if we consider this otherwise that individuals win then :

The probability that at least two of the triplets will win a medal is the sum of the probability that exactly two of the individuals from same team/triplet wins the medal and third medal is won by a individual from one of the remaining 2 teams/triplets + 1 Individual from each team/triplet wins the medal...

P(at least two of the triplets will win a medal is the sum of the probability that exactly two of the individuals from same team/triplet wins the medal and third medal is won by a individual from one of the remaining 2 teams/triplets)=3P2 * 3/9 * 2/8 * 6/7 = 3/7

P(1 Individual from each team/triplet wins the medal)= 3P3 * 3/9 * 3/8 * 3/7 = 9/28

3/7 + 9/28 = 3/4 ---- (E)

Pl. help me know where I am going wrong.
Thanks.
Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 26260 [0], given: 2708

Re: Triplets Adam, Bruce, and Charlie enter a triathlon. If [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2012, 00:55
Expert's post
himanshuhpr wrote:
From what I understand in the question is that there are 3 teams (triplets) of 3 people each competing together , so how is it possible that only 2 triplets/ teams win medals as there would be a definite 1,2,3 position in case of 3 teams. ?? ---. because the word triathlon implies to me that the teams win not the individuals (teams with cumulative individual lowest score times win) ....

Now if we consider this otherwise that individuals win then :

The probability that at least two of the triplets will win a medal is the sum of the probability that exactly two of the individuals from same team/triplet wins the medal and third medal is won by a individual from one of the remaining 2 teams/triplets + 1 Individual from each team/triplet wins the medal...

P(at least two of the triplets will win a medal is the sum of the probability that exactly two of the individuals from same team/triplet wins the medal and third medal is won by a individual from one of the remaining 2 teams/triplets)=3P2 * 3/9 * 2/8 * 6/7 = 3/7

P(1 Individual from each team/triplet wins the medal)= 3P3 * 3/9 * 3/8 * 3/7 = 9/28

3/7 + 9/28 = 3/4 ---- (E)

Pl. help me know where I am going wrong.
Thanks.

Your understanding of the question is not correct. Adam, Bruce, and Charlie are not in one team, they compete between each other and 6 other competitors.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Manager
Manager
Schools: Jones '15

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

Re: Triplets Adam, Bruce, and Charlie enter a triathlon. If [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2012, 06:21
I might be combinatorics challenged...
I got that for 2 of the triplets to get award and one other competitor -
probability = 3C2 * 6C1 / 9C3 = 3!*6!*3!*6! / 2!*5!*9! = 3*6*3 / 9*8*7 = 3/28

mCn = m!/(n!*(m-n)!)

How is it that you got 18/84 ???
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Triplets Adam, Bruce, and Charlie enter a triathlon. If [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2012, 12:55
nanishora wrote:
I might be combinatorics challenged...
I got that for 2 of the triplets to get award and one other competitor -
probability = 3C2 * 6C1 / 9C3 = 3!*6!*3!*6! / 2!*5!*9! = 3*6*3 / 9*8*7 = 3/28

mCn = m!/(n!*(m-n)!)

How is it that you got 18/84 ???

This calculation is wrong. it will be 3*6*3*2/9*8*7=3/14. Bunuel multiplied it by 6, which comes to 18/84
Manager
Manager
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 15

Re: Triplets Adam, Bruce, and Charlie enter a triathlon. If [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2012, 21:49
Hi Bunuel

Isnt this a permutation problem? I did in the same way as you did except that I used permutation since I thought that the rank and the order in which they are acquired does matter here. Obviously I am wrong since its not the official answer.. What am I missing here??
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Oxford
GPA: 3.54
WE: Project Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 85

Re: Triplets Adam, Bruce, and Charlie enter a triathlon. If [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2013, 15:47
ratinarace wrote:
Hi Bunuel

Isnt this a permutation problem? I did in the same way as you did except that I used permutation since I thought that the rank and the order in which they are acquired does matter here. Obviously I am wrong since its not the official answer.. What am I missing here??

That i was saying to my self tool : the rank and the order does matter here , so we must use permutations.
Can someone shed some light about this please ? :roll: :roll: :roll:

KUDOS is the good manner to help the entire community.

"If you don't change your life, your life will change you"

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-18-2013
GPA: 3.98

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Triplets Adam, Bruce, and Charlie enter a triathlon. If [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2013, 17:16
Rock750 wrote:
ratinarace wrote:
Hi Bunuel

That i was saying to my self tool : the rank and the order does matter here , so we must use permutations.
Can someone shed some light about this please ? :roll: :roll: :roll:

It is a combinatorics question and not a permutation because it asks of two getting a medal (placing either 1st 2nd or 3rd) but does not consider the order.

As a result there are 3 ways in which the podium ( podium is a term used for the top three finishers in a race) can have 2 of the triplets: A and B ; A and C ; B and C.
There is only one way in which all three can occupy the podium: A, B, and C. Their finishing position does not count, simply that they made the podium.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Triplets Adam, Bruce, and Charlie enter a triathlon. If [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2013, 17:37
hitman5532 wrote:

As a result there are 3 ways in which the podium ( podium is a term used for the top three finishers in a race) can have 2 of the triplets: A and B ; A and C ; B and C.

Thanks hitman5532

I think there are more than 3 ways in which the podium can have 2 of the triplets. for instance , there are 3P2 = \frac{3!}{(3-2)!}

which is equals to 6 ways :

A and B
A and C
B and C
B and A
C and A
C and B

Please correct if i am wrong

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-18-2013
GPA: 3.98

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Triplets Adam, Bruce, and Charlie enter a triathlon. If [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2013, 19:11
Rock750 wrote:
hitman5532 wrote:

Thanks hitman5532

I think there are more than 3 ways in which the podium can have 2 of the triplets. for instance , there are 3P2 = \frac{3!}{(3-2)!}

A and B
A and C
B and C
B and A
C and A
C and B

It is not a Permutation, it is a combinatoric problem. So the formula is \frac{n!}{k!(n-k)!}

Even without the formula, if you think about what your list shows, you have doubled some selections. A and B is the same as B and A

Think of it this way: Treat the podium as a cup. If you put one A in the cup and one B in the cup, it is no different than one B and one A.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Triplets Adam, Bruce, and Charlie enter a triathlon. If [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2013, 12:33
hitman5532 wrote:
Rock750 wrote:
hitman5532 wrote:

Thanks hitman5532

A and B
A and C
B and C
B and A
C and A
C and B

It is not a Permutation, it is a combinatoric problem. So the formula is \frac{n!}{k!(n-k)!}

Even without the formula, if you think about what your list shows, you have doubled some selections. A and B is the same as B and A

Think of it this way: Treat the podium as a cup. If you put one A in the cup and one B in the cup, it is no different than one B and one A.

Thanks

I get the point : the order doesn't matter here since all we need here is having at least two of the triplets in the podium ...

Regards

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.5

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Triplets Adam, Bruce, and Charlie enter a triathlon. If [#permalink] New post 07 May 2013, 19:17
It's been quite some time since this was posted, but I have a quick question about how to solve this problem using fractional probability instead of combinatorics. I tried to solve the problem using the following:

P(\geq{\text{2 Triplets}})=P(\text{2 Triplets})+P(\text{3 Triplets})

P(\geq{ \text{2 Triplets}})=(\frac{3}{9} \times \frac{2}{8} \times \frac{6}{7})+(\frac{3}{9} \times \frac{2}{8} \times \frac{1}{7})

P(\geq{ \text{2 Triplets}})=\frac{6}{84}+\frac{1}{84}=\frac{7}{84}

I realize that in order to get to the original answer, I would have had to multiply the initial \frac{6}{84} by 3, and proceed to calculate \frac{19}{84}, but I do not understand why this is the case, since the order of the triplets should not matter.

In another problem from MGMAT's CAT test, I was able to solve for the desired probability using fractional probabilities only:

"Bill has a small deck of 12 playing cards made up of only 2 suits of 6 cards each. Each of the 6 cards within a suit has a different value from 1 to 6; thus, for each value from 1 to 6, there are two cards in the deck with that value. Bill likes to play a game in which he shuffles the deck, turns over 4 cards, and looks for pairs of cards that have the same value. What is the chance that Bill finds at least one pair of cards that have the same value?"

P(\geq \text{1 pair})=1- \text{ P}( \text{No Pairs})

P(\geq \text{1 pair})=1-(\frac{12}{12} \times \frac{10}{11} \times \frac{8}{10} \times \frac{6}{9})=1-\frac{16}{33}=\frac{17}{33}

Of course, this problem could have also been solved using combinatorics, but I feel the fractional approach would probably be quicker in a live scenario. However, over the course of my review, I've found the fractional method to be unreliable, whereas combinatorics are typically universally applicable (though they can take significantly longer in some instances).

I am curious as to why the solution for the second problem involving the playing cards worked whereas my solution to the original triplet question did not. I am not really sure why I have to multiply that initial \frac{6}{84} by 3 to get the right answer, and I would like to have a concrete understanding of this issue to help me solve similar problems.

Last edited by wfa207 on 08 May 2013, 04:35, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.5

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Triplets Adam, Bruce, and Charlie enter a triathlon. If [#permalink] New post 07 May 2013, 20:11
DD, thanks for the quick response.

I'm still a little fuzzy on why \frac{3}{9} \times \frac{2}{8} \times \frac{6}{7} from the triplets problem implies that order matters whereas the \frac{12}{12} \times \frac{10}{11} \times \frac{8}{10} \times \frac{6}{9} from the card pairs problem does not.

Could you help explain this as well?
Re: Triplets Adam, Bruce, and Charlie enter a triathlon. If   [#permalink] 07 May 2013, 20:11