Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 03:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Telfer School Of Management (University of Ottawa) Review

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Telfer School Of Management (University of Ottawa) Review [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2014, 10:44
Hi,
I scored 640 on my GMAT (dont know what happened to me on test day). I have got an admit from Telfer School of Management of University of Ottawa. I applied to this school because of a few reasons: 1. It is a 1 year course. So it will allow me to go back to the job market quickly. Also, the cost of living without a salary will be less. 2. Having come from the Indian IT industry, Ottawa seemed like a good place to find future jobs.

But this school has remained pretty much 'un-discussed' in the forums. So, I am not too sure what to do now. The thing is that they are claiming to have a good average salary, but they do not have any median salary data. Not sure how they came at this average salary figure either. So, that seems like a grey area. Also, I am not getting any scholarship here. I asked some people who have done their MBA from Canada but even they are not too aware of this school. While some people not being aware of a school doesn't necessarily mean that its not up to the mark, what is putting doubts in my mind is the absence of any sound data about the school. Before the exam, I chose it as one of my Plan B schools because I was hoping to get a higher score. But the average salary data and employment details are quite impressive for a tier 2 school, if at all it can be considered a tier 2 school. Frankly, I don't want to go to a tier 3 school. I need to confirm my decision to them by 27th Mar, 2014 with a non-refundable deposit of $1000. So any help will be greatly appreciated.

And one more question. A silly one at that. Even if I go to this school, I want to work in the US for a year or so before returning to India. How difficult is it to switch to USA after doing your MBA from such a school in Canada?

Thanks.

Last edited by gmatrook on 04 Apr 2014, 10:22, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Re: Tefer School Of Management (University of Ottawa) Review [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2014, 04:45
Hi,
Can someone please help with this?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Human Resources
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Telfer School Of Management (University of Ottawa) Review [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2014, 23:18
All that I can say is Telfer is a quality institute, being one of the very few triple accredited b-schools in North America. My GMAT score is 660 and I'm also very eager to apply to Telfer's M.Sc. in Management. While placement is of course a vital issue, it is global recognition of the degree that matters most to me, as I want to return to India after completing the program.
Intern
Intern

Re: Telfer School Of Management (University of Ottawa) Review [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2014, 06:01
Thanks a lot for replying. The thing is that almost all North American schools do not go for such a triple accreditation. This is more of a European thing. And one year MBA itself is more of a European thing and it is quite alien to North America. So, I am not so sure of Telfer's global reputation.
Intern
Intern

Re: Telfer School Of Management (University of Ottawa) Review [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2014, 20:53
Yes it's true that North American b-schools generally are not interested on EQUIS and AMBA. And on its website, Telfer hasn't provided any data on placement like the percentage of students recruited, the main recruiters and the average salary. These are vital information based on which we can select an institution. MIM Compass also doesn't say much about master's programs in Canada. And another very important issue is that the degree has to be recognized worldwide. I'm not sure, but I think Canadian degrees are accepted in India. This is to ensure that even in the worst possible scenario of not getting a job after graduation, we can find one here.

I have mailed Telfer my CV for a profile evaluation. Many reputed European institutes do that for prospective students. So I hope to get a reply from them. If they reply positively, only then I will apply.
Intern
Intern

Re: Telfer School Of Management (University of Ottawa) Review [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2014, 21:03
So which institute did you finally select?
Re: Telfer School Of Management (University of Ottawa) Review   [#permalink] 16 Jun 2014, 21:03