Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 07:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Trouble seeing results with Manhattan

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Trouble seeing results with Manhattan [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2012, 06:08
Heya,

I've currently been studying for the GMAT for a week. I bought the Manhattan collection and the OG 13 and the initial plan was to go through the books one by one while doing OG questions after every book.
However after taking the PREP test and one of the tests here on GMatclub, I realize that I may have to reorganize my schedule. While I get a fair amount of right answers in the GMAT books ( 70%+), I was surprised to see the level difference in the real tests. Here I scored 500 and only had a 32% correct quant answers (600-700). While I am just halfway through the quant books, I am starting to worry whether the Manhattan books are really the best way to go or should I rely on another strategy. I like the books, but it seems that the questions are asked in an entirely different way in the real test.

I plan to take the final test in 4 weeks, and should be aiming for a score between 650-700. Based on my initial assessments this was supposed to be very possible but now I am starting to doubt it. I am aware that it takes more than one week to see results but my main concern now is whether to continue with the Manhattan books or not.

What do you guys think? :)
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9416 [0], given: 3699

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Trouble seeing results with Manhattan [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2012, 18:28
Expert's post
That of course depends on the score you want. If you are shooting for 700+, You want to approach the 90% accuracy mark and if you do not hit it, then it means staying where you are. I am not sure why you thought 70% accuracy was good for a 90th percentile on the GMAT but the bottom line, 70% accuracy is not good enough

I think you should continue with books - they have helped many but you may want to stop at this point and go back and review the sections until you are able to solve every single question you got wrong and you want to learn from the questions you missed, not just count them as your losses/failures. They are learning experience right now. They will be losses/failures only on the test.

Good Luck and Happy Holidays!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Trouble seeing results with Manhattan   [#permalink] 24 Dec 2012, 18:28